Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-05-2022, 08:52 PM   #81
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Hi,

Is this still the best way to achieve True Stereo with Reaverb in 2022? I ask because there were some updates to it quite some time ago, and at some point I read a discussion in a thread I can't find right now... I don't remember the conclusions of that thread, but maybe it was simply based on this one... Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:57 PM   #82
mschnell

Unfortunately the lately added channel mapper feature in ReaVerb can't seem to be usable to create a full stereo reverb with a single instance of ReaVerb.

I never understood why the channel mapper is so "artificially" restricted, but my hope for an update seems not to be justified (and what else might be a decent purpose of the channel mapper).

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:04 AM   #83
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks for the reply, mschnell...

Then, this thread is, for now, the reference in terms of True Stereo... I also hope that a future update will ease things with Reaverb.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #84
Philbo King

I haven't read all the posts, but it seems to me using a stereo IR file (recorded in a space with a stereo mic pair) would be the simplest way. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #85
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Thanks for the reply, mschnell...

Then, this thread is, for now, the reference in terms of True Stereo... I also hope that a future update will ease things with Reaverb.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, yes, things have changed. Load in your true stereo file and just make sure to set the channel mapping as follows:

Old 07-06-2022, 10:53 AM   #86
ashcat_lt

Yeah as long as your IRs are actually four channels in the right order, that should work just fine.

If they’re not in the right order, I think thats where the channel tool in the plugin can help(???), but you should be able to just fix it at the pins, too. I’m not sure there is yet a way to combine two stereo IRs into a single True Stereo thing though inside the plugin itself. It’s not that tough to make 4 channels files from a pair of stereo files, but it would be something you’d have to do before loading it into ReaVerb.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:17 AM   #87
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I haven't read all the posts, but it seems to me using a stereo IR file (recorded in a space with a stereo mic pair) would be the simplest way. Correct me if I'm wrong.
A "true Stereo" IR file would have four channels; r->r, r->l, l->r and l->l.

Is this what you mean ?

-Michael
Old 07-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #88
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding, yes, things have changed. Load in your true stereo file and just make sure to set the channel mapping as follows:

You mean a "true stereo" four channel file !

Can ReaVerb just load same without the need of the ReaVerb Channel Mapper ?

OK ... then I would need to create such a 4 channel file from the two 2 channel files I use at the moment ... (Reaper should be able to do this.)
-Michael
Old 07-06-2022, 03:45 PM   #89
Philbo King

I'm not sure. I was thinking of capturing an IR of a real space into a stereo IR. The normal channel crosstalk of a stereo mic pair would automaticaly provide the crossfeed, wouldn't it?
Old 07-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #90
ashcat_lt

Quote:
I'm not sure. I was thinking of capturing an IR of a real space into a stereo IR. The normal channel crosstalk of a stereo mic pair would automaticaly provide the crossfeed, wouldn't it?
That’s only half of a true stereo reverb. It is mono in>stereo out. If your input is mono, there is nothing you need to do in ReaVerb. If your input is stereo, you’ll have the left channel through the left side of the verb and the right channel through the right (dual mono), and any “crosstalk” will be completely wrong. You might want to change the pin connectors to send channels 1 and 2 to both inputs, basically summing to mono and sending that sum through both sides of the IR.

If you want stereo in>stereo out where the panning of the input makes any difference at all in the output, you need a four channel IR. Sometimes you can get away with using two copies of a stereo IR with the channels swapped on one, but to work in a single instance of ReaVerb, you’d have to bake that into a four channel file first.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 07-06-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:09 PM   #91
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Quote:

I've just tried it out with the Samplicity quads and it sounds as in Tod's track template. Great news, indeed! Thanks as usual for the tip, Beth!
Old 07-06-2022, 08:59 PM   #92
Philbo King

Yeah, that makes sense I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
That’s only half of a true stereo reverb. It is mono in>stereo out. If your input is mono, there is nothing you need to do in ReaVerb. If your input is stereo, you’ll have the left channel through the left side of the verb and the right channel through the right (dual mono), and any “crosstalk” will be completely wrong. You might want to change the pin connectors to send channels 1 and 2 to both inputs, basically summing to mono and sending that sum through both sides of the IR.

If you want stereo in>stereo out where the panning of the input makes any difference at all in the output, you need a four channel IR. Sometimes you can get away with using two copies of a stereo IR with the channels swapped on one, but to work in a single instance of ReaVerb, you’d have to bake that into a four channel file first.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:56 PM   #93
mschnell

Quote:
Nope. The algorithm of a stereo IR convolution has only a single channel input. In ReaVerb (standard configuration) the stereo input channels are just mixed to feed the algorithm.

-Michael
Old 07-11-2022, 12:52 AM   #94
studer58

Quote:

Would the following routing work also (see 3 screenshots below), assuming a pair of Left and Right reverb impulses, and using the Track Template for True Stereo Reverb supplied by Tod in the first post of this thread (in Reaper stash) ?

2 instances of ReaVerb, each hosting either the left and right impulses, plus an instance of ReaEQ (which can be bypassed/muted, but still 'in-circuit) to give the additional required routing ?

This would give a single True Stereo reverb bus track, without the need for 4 sample instances ?

Is the final (aggregated) pin routing the same as Beth's pictured above ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaverb 1.jpg (162.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Reaverb 2.jpg (170.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg ReaEQ.jpg (124.9 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by studer58; 07-11-2022 at 07:06 AM.
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:19 AM   #95
mschnell

Using two instances of ReaVerb for full stereo is the old fashion way (I did use multiplte times) downside is that they have each their own controls and if you want to "play" with them you'd better install parameter links additionally.

-Michael
Old 07-11-2022, 08:53 PM   #96
Tod

Ha ha, I found and old track template that I posted in 2012.

I haven't used it in a long time, so not sure how up to date it is.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...92?usp=sharing

It looks something like this.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:50 AM   #97
Glennbo

Quote:

Be aware that using the above pinouts will make the dry signal mono, so doing True Stereo with ReaVerb is only usable 100% wet.

I much prefer using LSP Impulse Reverb which is geared from the ground up for True Stereo. A single instance of it using the default pinouts knows exactly what to do with a quad impulse.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:03 AM   #98
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Ha ha, I found and old track template that I posted in 2012.
What like around the time you started this thread?
Quote:
I haven't used it in a long time, so not sure how up to date it is.
Is it different from the one you edited into post #1 in 2015?

Anyway, nothings really changed since then for the case where you’re trying to make true stereo out of a pair of stereo IRs. We got a little exited when the new multichannel features and channel tool were added, but they weren’t intended and don’t work for this, so unless you’re going to bounce all of your stereo IR pairs to four channel TS files, the “old fashioned way” is still the way to do it.