Old 02-14-2020, 02:53 AM   #1
huberkinky
Human being with feelings

Default Problems with copying MIDI segments

How can I copy MIDI parts, to have them copied exactly in the bit or time marks.

Every time I'm doing it, I'm having or gaps or some parts are copied and overlapping slightly each other.

Like on this pic. I've tried to adjust some parameters in past and ended with big problems with automation but could not fix this very annoying problem.

Using Reaper 6 and still the same problem. I updated Reaper with the same settings reaper 5.98 had.

Help please! It's driving me nuts!!!!

:-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gap.jpg (25.0 KB, 139 views)
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #2
huberkinky

I didn't explain this problem very precisely.

That picture is showing maximum - the end of magnification in Reaper.

Why it's important?

Because when I'm copying sections of MIDI, it's all looks good. But the problem is, that when I'm trying to play the copied part, sometimes it does not play, because the notes are BEFORE the grid!

So to make sure it's all OK, I have to check every almost part I'm copying and make sure, that notes are after, let's say timing or grid, not even slightly before, because when I push the button to play... chorus, (when IÂ’m pressing number 3 mark for chorus} the first chord does not play, because notes are just before the mark. And you can see it in max view, which I have found after many tries and swearing, why that bloody thing does not play my part.

;-)

Please help!
Old 02-15-2020, 06:54 AM   #3
dug dog

Are you using "Snap to Grid" when copying and pasting or moving MIDI items?
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:10 AM   #4
huberkinky

Yes. Other ways it's working really weird. Hate when this is off!

;-)

Please help, if possible and explain why!

:-)

TIA! ;-)
Old 02-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
dug dog

Unfortunately, I'm not quite understanding the situation.
Are you saying that you have snap to grid turned on but the MIDI items are not snapping to the grid?
One thing to look at in your snap settings is "snap media items to nearby media items". If this is turned on, it can sometimes cause problems if some of the other media items in your project aren't quite lined up with the grid.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
crane clef

Do you have different BPM on the timeline. I am asking because today I found a similar case.
I set three BPM values (108, 120 and 108). Then, forgetting about this setting, I moved the midi elements from the center to the end, and then moved the resulting midi block back inside. And midi shifts appeared.

Last edited by crane clef; 02-15-2020 at 10:01 AM.
crane clef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
LugNut

Hi,
I think he's talking about unquantized midi note is just before his selections.
Maybe do a tempory quantize, no commit, then select and unquntize..if needed.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #8
huberkinky

I don't think that quantizing has anything to do with this problem. Sometimes the MIDI part it’s a slightly after the grid but sometime it’s slightly before

From the start… I'm recording some 4 bars MIDI pad. Not quantizing because I'm not sure if I will use that part. Just to check how it's sounds well with the mix.

If sounds good, I'm highlighting the part and multiplying it lets say as 8 parts.

Then I'm trying to play, what I have recorded and I have markers and these are right on the grid.

If the part MIDI recorded is slightly behind the grid, it's all OK. But still is the problem.

But when notes are slightly before the beat, that I have number 4 as my mark. So I'm pressing number 4 to start playing from there. No sound because recorded part is slightly before the mark 4! In normal mode looks perfect, until you/re trying to play from the grid.

When I'm checking what is going on, I'm magnifying the screen do the max and that's what I'm seeing as on the picture.

I have to check every MIDI part or check that one part, to see if it's seating properly in the grid... perfectly to c few instances of recorded part.

It's never happening in audio, only in MIDI. And it's time consuming and destroying any creativity, if you have to control that way you DAW, which I never had any problems like that in PTools, using very old version from about 1997, or Cubase or Logic. No problems at all, but I cant use them anymore, because my old MIDI Studio 4 is stuffed. No power at all.

I have not encounter problem, like that ever before and I'm not new to MIDI.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #9
huberkinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not quite understanding the situation.
Are you saying that you have snap to grid turned on but the MIDI items are not snapping to the grid?
One thing to look at in your snap settings is "snap media items to nearby media items". If this is turned on, it can sometimes cause problems if some of the other media items in your project aren't quite lined up with the grid.
I'm going to check it out. It makes a sense.

Tomorrow I'll post results.

Thanks for the hint!

Cheers...
Old 02-16-2020, 11:45 PM   #10
huberkinky

dug dog

You are brilliant. That's the problem I had and it's fixed. Many many thanx man.
It was my nightmare. I hated that behavior so much. It was destroying my creativity.

You want to create something, you play, record and... whole creativity is gone.
IMHO creativity is the mood of mixers and composers. They’re artists and they are not hobbyist. Some 'help' in style RTFM are not helping at all.
For a DAW to be successful, if drives artists mad, such DAW will be never popular amongst artists. I’m still thinking going back to PTools. But I can’t afford it!
That's my opinion as an artist, mixer and composer. Guys like me don't care about settings. They have to be right.

What I mean? It's simple.

Get a DAW, install on PC or MAC and start recording without ANY configuration, except telling which sound device you are using. Set 44.1 or 48/24 bit etc. 4/4, set tempo, connect you keyboard and start recording some basic stuff without reading ANY manual at one track, quantize it and do basic editing. Especially if you used PTool/Logic/Qubase before.

If you can't do i, use another DAW!!!

Frankly I have stopped carrying about different skin or even colors. Initially I was excited about possibility of so many configurations. All I care now is, if I can do some creative work without enormous frustration.

Looking from a different perspective, no tool should drive you nuts. If it does, it’s a bad tool because you can’t work with it!

I'm talking about basic stuff, not about using very efficiently some automation, or VCA, groups etc.

The tool have to mastered – not fixed -no doubts about it.

Had my rant... :-)

Thanks again dug dog for your help...
Old 02-17-2020, 06:17 AM   #11
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberkinky View Post
dug dog You are brilliant.
Hardly but thanks anyway. I'm happy to have helped.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:18 AM   #12
vanhaze

@ OP:

Maybe abit offtopic but this vid could be enlightning, regarding Duplicating Items that are "off-grid":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8UGwbiATXg
Old 02-19-2020, 04:05 AM   #13
huberkinky

That video is showing exactly, how its happening, on both sides. However in my case I would see it only in almost max magnification.

I didn't know about it for at least 2 months and my last 3 songs I have to check, if they are sitting properly in the grid.

Just checked with an audio and I think I know what is causing it.

Fade in and Fade out - in MIDI and with audio. I'm almost sure! ;-)

Thanks for the hint and solution!

:-)))))))