Old 06-07-2018, 02:25 AM   #1
jesus4c
Human being with feelings

Default Avid Artist Control WITHOUT EuControl?

Hi there,

Please excuse me if this is answered elsewhere, but I'm way out of my depth with control surfaces.

I was about to purchase a little Faderport coz I wanted a single physical fader to write automation on Podcasts that I'm doing. But, a friend has very kindly given me an Avid Artist Control that he no longer uses. Thanks, friend!!

My problem is that the moment I install the EuControl software for it, all sorts of odd things start happening elsewhere on my laptop - dropdown lists no longer happen in Chrome and a few other strange, seemingly unrelated issues.

So, my question is, is there a way to use the Avid Artist Control in Reaper WITHOUT having to install EuControl?
jesus4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
LugNut

Hi,
Can that control surface run under MCU? If so you can use it without that software. I guess I'll look it up.:-)
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
LugNut

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

Hi,
An educated guess...yes.
For a definitive answer you might post on the control integration thread. Geoff Washington knows those boxes inside and out.
Link above..good luck!
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
jesus4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

Hi,
An educated guess...yes.
For a definitive answer you might post on the control integration thread. Geoff Washington knows those boxes inside and out.
Link above..good luck!
Thanks LugNut! Wow - 32 pages - and from a random look through the thread the conversation is WAY above my head! Although I HAVE downloaded Geoff's CSI pre-Alpha and I'll see if that's the answer to my problems.

And as a Plan B, seemingly the Artist Control CAN run under MCU. I just now have to figure out exactly what that means and how to achieve it.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus4c View Post
Thanks LugNut! Wow - 32 pages - and from a random look through the thread the conversation is WAY above my head! Although I HAVE downloaded Geoff's CSI pre-Alpha and I'll see if that's the answer to my problems.

And as a Plan B, seemingly the Artist Control CAN run under MCU. I just now have to figure out exactly what that means and how to achieve it.
Yeah, it's a long thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ravhFzHcYKI&t=2s

The demo above shows CSI with the Artist units running Mackie protocol, but you will still need to install EuControl.

The Mackie emulation is on a per application basis and is achieved through EuControl.

As a side note I also wrote the native support for EuCon for Reaper, here is another amazingly long thread, on that topic

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122509
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
jesus4c

And EuControl seems to be where my problem lies. No idea why, but as soon as I install that (Artist Control plugged in or not), weird things start happening.

No biggie - I don't really NEED a control surface at all - it was just was given to me (long-term loan, actually), so I thought I'd try to get things up and running. I'm only ever going to want to write automation on 1 track at a time, so if I really do need a fader (which would be nice) I think I'll splash out on a Faderport.

Thanks for your advice, LugNut & Geoff!