Old 07-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
EnzymeX
Human being with feelings

Default Edit MIDI in clip boundaries only?

Another question for the forum:

After I have set up my MIDI loop start points in the timeline, is there a way to bring up the MIDI editor to only show (and play) the timeline defined loop?

Right now, it appears that all MIDI file edits to define the start time in the timeline are ignored when the loop editor is called.

So, while destructive edits regarding endpoint can be done with the editor, there appears to be no way to destructively edit the start point of a MIDI loop.

If this is truly not possible, I would like to make this a FR for Reaper inclusion prior to v1, as this is a key feature for me to create a bunch of short MIDI loops originally recorded from a long realtime take.

I am open to workarounds: If there is a way to delete the leading "space" of a MIDI file copy in the editor, or move all the notes earlier in the clip prior to calling the editor, please let me know.

Justin,

This issue is felt by folks that like to create a bunch of MIDI loops out of a long linear MIDI take. After setting up all the loops in the timeline, calling the editor ignores all the work that was done for start points, even if you create a copy of the clip.

This becomes a real issue if you are trying to time correct defined loop that is one or two bars long, and the underlying source file is 32 or 64 bars long. I get lost trying to find my loop.

Last edited by EnzymeX; 07-16-2006 at 10:19 PM.
EnzymeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
EnzymeX

Maybe I'm not explaining this right. Short Version:

We midiots need a way to edit MIDI clips in the context of the clip boundaries in the timeline.

Example: You create a 2-bar loop from a 64-bar MIDI clip. You DON'T want to have to scroll through, say, 57 "hidden" bars in the editor to try and find the small section you previously defined in the timeline.

Can this be implemented before v1.0? It would be a huge boost in productivity for all midiots. Thanks!

Last edited by EnzymeX; 07-17-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymeX
Maybe I'm not explaining this right. Short Version:

We midiots need a way to edit MIDI clips in the context of the clip boundaries in the timeline.

Example: You create a 2-bar loop from a 64-bar MIDI clip. You DON'T want to have to scroll through, say, 57 "hidden" bars in the editor to try and find the small section you previously defined in the timeline.

Can this be implemented before v1.0? It would be a huge boost in productivity for all midiots. Thanks!
The more I can do with midi in the track, the better, my limited experience with midi has been with an inline editor only...so yeah +1 here.

--
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

this is similar to the audio editing trick we want, where the selected or sized part in reaper becomes highlighted in the external app
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

Pipe, that must be entirely subject to the external app having a command line interface supplying that feature. Eg "editorname.exe -filename -from_time -to_time". I doubt whether even Justin could get around that one. Shame, though - I entirely agree that it would be handy!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymeX
+1. Not sure if this will happen before v1.0 though. We need CC editing first ...
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:40 AM   #7
EnzymeX

Justin,

Thanks for taking care of this in .989! This is huge!

Overwriting the saved file copies in the timeline is perfect with this feature enhancement! Very fast and intuitive.