Old 06-21-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
fatharock
Human being with feelings

Default Sampler audio outs questions

In most sampler software like Kontakt or say GPO5 or SSD, they offer multiple audio outputs.Great!

My M_Audio 2626 doesn't work anymore because the company doesn't support it any longer. So....I bought a Focusrite 2i2 Scarlet that works perfectly with Reaper, but only has 2 outs.

My question is: Does this mean that I cannot use all the audio outs offered by these sampling program engines except buss 1 & 2?

I thought that I could once. Only, when I tried creating folders or busses fed by sends all I hear is outputs 1 & 2. No track separation. Now I'm thinking I need to spend a ton of money on a new 8x8 interface. I'd rather not because, otherwise, I don't multi track anymore.

Everything else works on my system.
Thanks for reading my post.

fatharock
fatharock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
PMan

I think I understand your question... yes you can.

You can use as many synth or sampler outputs as you want, but they have to go to a mixer *inside of Reaper* to mix down to stereo.

If you create a folder where the separate outputs go to the child tracks, you should hear everything.

There is a great JSFX 8 channel stereo mixer that works quite well if you don't want to use folders. if you have 8 outputs on a track, you can put that JSFX mixer as the last FX in the channel. You will be able to mix the 8 outputs down to stereo.

The only reason I do separate outputs is to add different FX on each channel. I do this all the time with drums: the kick, snare, toms, hi-hats, and other cymbals are all on separate tracks *inside a folder* with their own EQ & compressors. That folder mixes the separate outputs to create a stereo drum buss that goes to the main mixer.

Were you sending the multiple outputs to an external hardware mixer? That's the only way I can see that you would need a multi channel interface to hear all of your tracks.

Hope this helps...
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
fatharock

Hey PMan,

Wow! Thanks for your awesome response.

You confirmed what I had always thought in the past with multi outs from a sampler. I'm using the Garritan GPO5 orchestra sampler, and I had "ass-u-med", that it would behave similarly to Kontakt....But it doesn't seem to.

There's very little in the way of settings within the Aria player, so it seems that how it sums up it's multi outputs is vastly lacking (I think). So the child parent relationship does not function with Aria as far as I can tell.

Anyway, thanks for reassuring me that I knew how multi-outs were supposed to work, tremendous relief, thanks bro!

My Best...
Old 06-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #4
fatharock

Default P.S.

Sorry...

I searched for that plug couldn't find it.
Where is it at?

Thanks again... *S*
Old 06-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
DarkStar

Garritan Personal Orchestra (it uses the ARIA Player). And it certainly does have multiple audio output.

But you have to load the correct edition of the plug-in, then select the output pair for each instrument slot.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #6
PMan

I'm glad it was helpful.

The mixer is a JS plugin, and I'm pretty sure it comes bundled with Reaper. Search for ix/mixer. There are 2 versions,
- an 8 mono ins to 1 stereo out where each mono channel has volume & pan control,
- an 8 stereo ins to 1 stereo out that has volume only for each channel.

Heads up: you only "see" this mixer when you open the FX window for the track.

As far as routing the outs to different tracks: Kenny Gioia has some great tutorials. Here is one: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#uFuR7K1HSNw
for creating a drumset with multiple outs from a master MIDI channel routed to separate channels.

I don't have the Garritan Personal Orchestra, but from DarkStarS post, it looks like you can setup the routing to separate channels from the plugin itself.

Kenny Gioia's vids are great! you may want to check them out anyway. There are tons of them here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote