Old 06-19-2021, 11:33 PM   #1
fred garvin
Human being with feelings

Default OT: Do you want this guitar?

...'cuz I kinda do...

Epiphone Alex Lifeson Axcess Les Paul

Apparently it's the Epi version of the Custom Shop Lifeson guitar. An LP with a Floyd and a bunch of pickup switching options including coil splitting and piezo. Part of it is it's basically not only the Lifeson guitar but Neil Schon plays something very similar in Manila 2009, one of arena rock's finest moments 20 years late lol, check it out, straight fire, Neil shreds throughout. And it's so purty, and I hear they're easier to play. But I also hear Gibsons are impossible to keep in tune, and I'm not a Gibson guy, and I hate Floyds lol. Any thoughts?
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:54 AM   #2
grinder

Very nice.
I have two Gibson's one Gibson a 335 a 70's one it keeps in tune have
had it since new.
Have a custom strat keeps it's tune and a home made weapon
which stays in tune even after a year of not playing it I should play it more but every guitar does not suit every song you play, it has an awesome sound.

Grinder

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maitland-1/the-deception
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:51 AM   #3
xpander

I'm not against the "new" features of this guitar, but personally wouldn't want all of them on my Les Paul. Some of the reasons are why I wouldn't want the real custom shop model either, some because of how Epi does them.

The Axcess neck heel is nice, compared to the regular bulky chunk of wood in there. Belly cut is ok. But to me the sharp top edge is the uncomfortable thing in Les Paul, not back of the body.

I love the original Floyd Rose bridges I have on some of my guitars. A licensed Graph Tech Ghost bridge on a Les Paul, no. Not against that system itself (no experience), but for me one of the reasons to own a single cut guitar like that is the fixed bridge.

Other than that, it's an Epiphone, so the top is veneer. That is a definite no go for me, on a guitar like this I prefer solid wood rather than a thin piece of veneer. The first veneer top guitars I ever had started to crack and flake long time ago, while the older solid wood guitars are still fine today. Give me a plain top with knots and all and I'm fine. Fake flame or quilt, nope. Also, the finish will likely be a thick poly coat like in all Epis, whereas I'd rather have a thinner nitro finish on a guitar like this.

Last edited by xpander; 06-20-2021 at 03:57 AM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
Jeffsounds

Anyone who puts a trem on a Les Paul should be tried for guitar treason. Becept Brad Gillis. He can put a trem on anything he wants.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Anyone who puts a trem on a Les Paul should be tried for guitar treason. Becept Brad Gillis. He can put a trem on anything he wants.
I suppose a sitar is really off limits then?

https://www.12fret.com/about-us/abou...-brady-milloy/
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:30 PM   #6
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

That's pretty f'in awesome for a throwaway gag in a movie... that must've been 10K at least, yah?

Quote:
Brad Gillis. He can put a trem on anything he wants.
Brad "Three Fingers" Gillis gets a pass, but not Alex or Neil?? You must reeeeeally love Sister Christian. But yeah, I get the idea that the point of an LP is that it's not a Strat. I just want it all, dammit. And if I had more $$ than sense, I'd buy a flametop LP just to hang on the wall, I think they're beyootifuls.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:45 PM   #7
Jeffsounds

Quote:

Ok, that's pretty cool and since it's NOT a Les Paul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
Brad "Three Fingers" Gillis gets a pass, but not Alex or Neil?? You must reeeeeally love Sister Christian. But yeah, I get the idea that the point of an LP is that it's not a Strat. I just want it all, dammit. And if I had more $$ than sense, I'd buy a flametop LP just to hang on the wall, I think they're beyootifuls.
Sister Christian was ok the first 3 thousand times I heard it on that first day of release but now it is one of my least favorite Night Ranger tunes. I just dig Brad's distortion on distortion on distortion tone and his approach to the trem and harmonics.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:48 PM   #8
zeekat

Quote:
But I also hear Gibsons are impossible to keep in tune, and I'm not a Gibson guy, and I hate Floyds lol. Any thoughts?
I mean, tuning stability is solved here in an extremely visible way isnt it. It's probably the only LP I'd touch, I love trems(and Alex). I assume the neck is not tilted here, but installed flat like in a strat?
Old 06-21-2021, 01:30 AM   #9
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Sister Christian was ok the first 3 thousand times I heard it on that first day of release but now it is one of my least favorite Night Ranger tunes. I just dig Brad's distortion on distortion on distortion tone and his approach to the trem and harmonics.
Lolz right? Funny, I thought he was the shredder but turns out the other guy is. Yah, sure, seminal I suppose now, that awkward 3rd fret pinch harmonic is now de rigueur for all djenty type stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
I mean, tuning stability is solved here in an extremely visible way isnt it. It's probably the only LP I'd touch, I love trems(and Alex). I assume the neck is not tilted here, but installed flat like in a strat?
Yah, dunno. What I heard is the design is flawed, not sure what the flaws are or if they've been addressed. I love trems but hate Floyds... WHY do the fine tuners not lock??? It just stands to reason... idea for locking trem system where both ends actually lock hereby unofficially patented, me, here, now.

Honestly I'm sooo happy with my G&L, thing's a beast, just thought this was cool, and if one could get LP tones, -and- piezo, -and- a trem... I mean, it would be a whole guitar collection in two cases, yah?
Old 06-21-2021, 02:06 AM   #10
grinder

If it sounds good and plays good you are some part of the way there and that is a good thing,,,
Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:39 AM   #11
zeekat

Quote:
I love trems but hate Floyds... WHY do the fine tuners not lock??? It just stands to reason... idea for locking trem system where both ends actually lock hereby unofficially patented, me, here, now.
Every time you lock at the nut, everything goes a bit out of tune which you correct with fine tuners. If you locked the fine tuners, there'd be need for fine-fine tuners to correct for it
Old 06-21-2021, 05:22 AM   #12
xpander

Floyd going out of tune when nut is locked depends on a guitar and setup too. Out of 3 Floyd Rose guitars here, there's only one string on one guitar going slightly out of tune. But surely fine tuners are always good for..er, fine tuning when needed. And there's no need to lock them, they won't move even if the side of the palm would happen to swipe them occasionally. If you have a proper Floyd Rose system that is.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:59 AM   #13
serr

Quote:
I also hear Gibsons are impossible to keep in tune... Any thoughts?
Someone tried to play some random Gibson one day that needed a setup. They didn't know about guitar setups and how critical some elements are and apparently assumed it was intended to play in that condition.

If everything was stable and intonated, the only thing left is a worn out tuner starting to slip a little. These can be replaced. This scenario would be identical for any guitar.

Some people never get their guitar dialed in and intonated accurately. That leads to a weird compromised tuning. Down the middle of some notes sharp and others flat. Now as soon as one string goes ever so slightly out from where it was set, you've fallen down the side of the bell curve of that compromised starting point. This is mistranslated into "This doesn't stay in tune!" In reality, it's not tunable in the first place until you have some work done.

Quote:
Every time you lock at the nut, everything goes a bit out of tune which you correct with fine tuners. If you locked the fine tuners, there'd be need for fine-fine tuners to correct for it
The nut has not been installed and setup accurately. There's a gap that the string can be pressed into by the locking cap. This needs to be dialed in so the string rests against the bottom surface and the locking cap simply clamps it down rather than press it the rest of the way to the bottom first.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #14
zeekat

Quote:
The nut has not been installed and setup accurately. There's a gap that the string can be pressed into by the locking cap. This needs to be dialed in so the string rests against the bottom surface and the locking cap simply clamps it down rather than press it the rest of the way to the bottom first.
Every FR tuning guide seems to mention dicking around with finetuners after locking the nut, but fair chance my sample of double locking guitars (1) was made on a worse day at the factory. Maybe I should try to tighten that overgrown string tree next time or something. Or the problem is more pronounced coz I use downtuned fat strings(I'm definitely not changing that).
Old 06-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #15
Bribedant

Here's what I did trying to get the best of two worlds. Not perfect but usable.
Took my standard Epi LesPaul and mounted a Duesenberg tremolo. I hate floating tremolos and Duesenberg actually does float in a sense but it always zero's in at perfect tune every time after use. First trouble was the bridge. Swapped to a roller bridge. Trouble gone. Second was the head angle. Strings just won't glide gracefully back in tune. To steep angle and pressure over the saddle. Not even motor oil will fix that problem, trust me
So, online shopping, here I come. Got the "Stringbutler" witch helps to lower the string friction over the saddle. Things got almost perfect but the infamous G string still want to stay slight out of tune. There's a little trick to fix that. A fast short up bend on the tremolo. Not always doable when soloing tho.
Some sort of string lockers will be next addition. I really like the action of the Duesenberg tremolo. It's no bombdiver tremolo but for the subtle movements I'm doing it's very nice.
Bribedant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #16
fred garvin

Quote:
Here's what I did...
Wow, never seen one of those, kinda like a Bigsby? That's really cool!

Quote:
Floyd fans: Floyds are awesome and you're using them wrong!
Yes, I'm sure that's true, duly noted, I just find them overly fiddly overall I guess. A little nut lube (huhuhuh) and my non-locking G&L does fine for my I guess fairly light use. As did my Squier before, TBH.

But hey rock on with your lock on!
Old 06-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #17
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Lolz right? Funny, I thought he was the shredder but turns out the other guy is. Yah, sure, seminal I suppose now, that awkward 3rd fret pinch harmonic is now de rigueur for all djenty type stuff.
I was mainly referring to his anti-dive-bomb approach where he pushes the bar all the way down, hits a harmonic and brings it up PAST the original pitch and keeps going up until you think the string will break and then he goes up a little more. I did the same thing in my early days with trems (before Brad) but he made it into an art form.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #18
Glennbo

About six months ago I bought an upper mid line Epiphone SG intending to put a Bigsby tremolo on it because a dood I recorded with for more than 30 years had a vintage Gibson SG with a factory installed Bigsby.

After having the guitar for a good while now, I still haven't added a tremolo, and prolly won't now. The guitar plays like a dream, has perfect intonation and is easy to tune up. I don't wanna mess any of that up!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #19
Bribedant

Quote:
Wow, never seen one of those, kinda like a Bigsby? That's really cool!
It is Bigsby style only less intrusive. Just lift off the old hardware and put the tremolo on. At least on a Les Paul it's that easy. And way lighter also. Took a chance on this and ended up very pleased.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #20
Bribedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
About six months ago I bought an upper mid line Epiphone SG intending to put a Bigsby tremolo on it because a dood I recorded with for more than 30 years had a vintage Gibson SG with a factory installed Bigsby.
Awww, I practically learn to play on a Gibson SG with a Bigsby. This was in the 70s and never seen one since. Damn, now I got the GAS, need a SG.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #21
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bribedant View Post
Awww, I practically learn to play on a Gibson SG with a Bigsby. This was in the 70s and never seen one since. Damn, now I got the GAS, need a SG.
The 1965 Gibson SG my bandmate is playing was what I had planned to make my own much cheeper replica of,

and I could do it with no drilling using a Bigsby B5 and a Vibramate adapter plate, but the stock SG just plays so fine. My other 7 guitars are collecting dust.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #22
davetbass

I had a Les Paul for a long time until I settled on my current final guitars: Jackson Dinky with HSH and Floyd. I only play bass in bands so these are just for fun. If I could afford a guitar collection one of these Les Pauls with the Floyd an neck joint would be one of the first, they've made a bunch of these over the year some non-signature. The Gibson tuning rep comes from the sharp angle of the strings over the nut so wouldn't affect these. I would try to squeez a single coil in the middle lol. How else are you going to play "Sultans of Swing"!
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:37 PM   #23
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
...The Gibson tuning rep comes from the sharp angle of the strings over the nut so wouldn't affect these. I would try to squeez a single coil in the middle lol. How else are you going to play "Sultans of Swing"!
Aaah, I see, good info there, thanx! How am -I- going to play Sultans of Swing? Poorly, of course!

Quote:
Duesenberg
Oh well hell, now I have to get a D-berg Johnny Depp...

Last edited by fred garvin; 06-21-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:41 AM   #24
Neenja

I have wanted one for years, but the buy in was too much. I will get one of these the second I can get it and before Gibson can screw it up. The locking nut should sort out the normal Gibson tuning issues.
Neenja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #25
Rhonin

Default dont want that guitar

want this guitar

gibson 335 studio
https://images.craigslist.org/01010_...I_1200x900.jpg

also prob need this one
1930’s Archtop Slingerland Songster - $1,300
https://images.craigslist.org/00808_...I_1200x900.jpg
Rhonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:38 PM   #26
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
Someone tried to play some random Gibson one day that needed a setup. They didn't know about guitar setups and how critical some elements are and apparently assumed it was intended to play in that condition.

If everything was stable and intonated, the only thing left is a worn out tuner starting to slip a little. These can be replaced. This scenario would be identical for any guitar.

Some people never get their guitar dialed in and intonated accurately.

... and a lot of keyboard warriors think their Chinese knockoffs are real Gibsons.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:45 AM   #27
fred garvin

Well, my natural instinct plus the haters just about turned me off it... but this review might sell me yet:

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/e...es-paul-axcess

The sheer range of cool tones in the demo clip from one guitar is amazing IMO. The piezo is coool. I guess that's the same bridge/piezo unit you get in the CS guitar.

Also, check out the Limelight clip: Is that a clambake, coming out of the solo? Just short of a trainwreck far as I can tell. I think Geddy plays with the vocal line a little, and then Neil goes long, and they have to float and settle a little. I mean hey, has to happen to everyone right?
Old 06-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #28
serr

Quote:
That's pretty f'in awesome for a throwaway gag in a movie... that must've been 10K at least, yah?
It looks like it had to cost every bit of that!

I never saw the movie. (Not a fan of even the ones many people said they liked. Austin Powers or something? I think it's the same guy.) I suspect that scene would have been my favorite part. No idea if they got the soundtrack right and it sounded authentic or not either.

And of course, don't think it through too much. The sitar being such a bendy instrument in the first place. I suppose this lets dive bomb downward though.

I saw a fretless 6 string electric with a wammy once. My first thought was "wait..."
Old 06-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #29
Bjorn.LaSanche

No because the guitar would give you ALS. This is as horrible condition where your testicles crawl back up into your body, You start producing Estrogen that counteracts your testosterone, makes you but your hair and start wearing paisly and turn your guitar down until its nothing but a tool to be a questionable enhancer of aural ambience. I also heard that it takes almost 30 years to recover from the disease as well.

I would much rather buy the real deal Gibson Axess Neal Schon model and maintain my balls and self esteem as a guitarist. completely sidestepping contracting ALS.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #30
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn.LaSanche View Post
...testicles...
Lolz that's some good rantin' there. But no worries, my testosterone is such that I can play any guitar I want -and- wear paisley.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:03 AM   #31
ivansc

I only ever had one guitar with a floyd rose trem & hated it, because it took forever to change a string if I broke one, which at the time I did very regularly.

On the other hand, I had a Jackson with a Chandler(?) Charvel or WHY trem on it & loved it. Standard strings, easy to replace if one broke & the thing stayed in tune really well. Wish I could remember the name of the trem for sure...

Oh and I sold it because the neck was so incredibly skinny I couldn`t keep hold of it properly.

I now have NO fender type guitars with trems & just my Gretsch G5120 with a Bigsby that I seldom use, so I am not really involved in this particular discussion I suppose. Sorry, I`ll get my coat....
Old 06-24-2021, 12:42 AM   #32
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
On the other hand, I had a Jackson with a Chandler(?) Charvel or WHY trem on it & loved it. Standard strings, easy to replace if one broke & the thing stayed in tune really well. Wish I could remember the name of the trem for sure...
Kahler?

I have a headless with Steinberger's R-trem and it's brilliant how quick string change and tuning is on that thing, despite being Floyd-like knife edge floating bridge. Tuning stability is very good too. Stiffer than Floyd with less range tho, and with somewhat well known durability problems.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #33
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Kahler?
I had a Kahler trem with rollers on my mid-70s Strat that was stolen from me by a guy calling himself my friend. Loved that trem! Incredibly stable and I rarely broke strings but when I did, it was quick and easy to swap.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #34
Glennbo

Quote:
I only ever had one guitar with a floyd rose trem & hated it, because it took forever to change a string if I broke one, which at the time I did very regularly.
I had a Kramer Focus 3000 with a Floyd Rose and also hated it. Within a week I removed the top of the locking nut and never put it back on.

My practice wife got away with that one and an EB0 bass. The bass I wish I still had but that guitar was frustrating trying to do palm mute stuff so I don't miss it at all.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #35
somebodyelseuk

Quote:

Oh and I sold it because the neck was so incredibly skinny I couldn`t keep hold of it properly.

I now have NO fender type guitars with trems & just my Gretsch G5120 with a Bigsby that I seldom use, so I am not really involved in this particular discussion I suppose. Sorry, I`ll get my coat....
Haven't had a locking trem since the '90s.
Had a Kahler and it was no better than a standard Femder trem. Since then, we all know how to set trems/guitars up properly so locking trems have become redundant.
Graphtech nuts and Sperzel tuners get the job done for me, whether it's a Fender, ESP or Levinson trem.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:25 AM   #36
Judders

Quote:
...'cuz I kinda do...

Epiphone Alex Lifeson Axcess Les Paul

Apparently it's the Epi version of the Custom Shop Lifeson guitar. An LP with a Floyd and a bunch of pickup switching options including coil splitting and piezo. Part of it is it's basically not only the Lifeson guitar but Neil Schon plays something very similar in Manila 2009, one of arena rock's finest moments 20 years late lol, check it out, straight fire, Neil shreds throughout. And it's so purty, and I hear they're easier to play. But I also hear Gibsons are impossible to keep in tune, and I'm not a Gibson guy, and I hate Floyds lol. Any thoughts?
Short scale length AND no hard tail?

The worst of both worlds!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:11 AM   #37
fred garvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
...Within a week I removed the top of the locking nut and never put it back on...
Me too! And I took the fine tuners off. Works great now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraGox85 View Post
What a beautiful guitar.
I think so too. Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Short scale length AND no hard tail?

The worst of both worlds!
What's wrong with a short scale? Every LP has it yah? I thought that was part of what makes them nice to play. Anything to make an F barre a little easier...
Old 06-25-2021, 05:20 AM   #38
Judders

Quote:
What's wrong with a short scale? Every LP has it yah? I thought that was part of what makes them nice to play. Anything to make an F barre a little easier...
Yuck!

It just feels wrong to me. Not a Gibson guy!

Though weirdly, I do like playing short scale kids' classical guitars, but not electric. I don't like short scale basses either. I generally like necks to be as long as possible!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:36 AM   #39
Philbo King

Nice looking axe. I'd want it if I still suffered from gear lust. But, with 14 guitars sitting around here, I doubt if it would see much action...

BTW Judders, I too prefer long scale instruments, because my hands are very wide.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:26 AM   #40
serr

I have one of the black walnut Gibson "The Paul" models with the 24.5" scale and it's absolutely perfect! I was using 11's when I was playing more. You get away with bigger strings and not pushing the tension up as much with the shorter scale. I'm back down to 10's nowadays because I've been hanging out behind the mixing board more than playing.