Old 05-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
WarrenG
Human being with feelings

Default Kit Micing Techniques

I came from live mixing where I pretty much put a mic on everything with L/R OVHD
and applied Gate and Comp as needed. Its obviously a bit different in the studio so I am wondering what mic techniques everyone is using to obtain their signature sound.

Thanks
Warren
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #2
jnorman34

It cannot hurt to mic each piece of the kit, even if you may not need all of the mics in the mix. I always start mixing the drum tracks by pulling up the OHs first and then start filling in with kick and then snare. For jazz that is usually all that is needed. For rock you may need to more carefully blend in Tom mics and hihat. It is very easy to overwhelm drum mixes when you try to make every piece of the kit loud and in your face. You want a good balance with some snap to the snare and a clean solid kick - build the rest around those.
jnorman34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:42 PM   #3
WarrenG

Was also wondering about Mid/Side with maybe Snare and Kick, as well as other methods tried.

W
Old 05-24-2021, 06:48 AM   #4
Beat Machine

Default some tequniques

actually the questions usually the other way round

"how can i fit the drums into the number of mics/inputs i have"

so a 24 track studo could have 1 mic for every drum
some ppl are stuck with a condensor 5 ft in front of the kit 3 ft high

there are three mic techniques that work

what i generally get

kik in
kik out
snare top
snare bottom
hi hat
1 rack toms
1 floor toms
stereo or l/lr overheads
mono room mic

*i never use the room mic,i have better sounding iRs

if i was recording i could only do

in front of kik
snare and hh same mic (over)
stereo overheads x/y position
Beat Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #5
Beat Machine

Default youtub has this covered

there are huge detailed explanations of different pros explaining their technique

the main thing is what kind of technnique would get the sound you want
Beat Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
fred garvin

Youtube FTW indeed.

The one thing I'll offer is that if your drummer hasn't already, he needs to go ahead and cut a hole in his front kick head, so you can get a mic all up in there, and very likely get some damping in there, like a pillow or blanket, not necessarily through the hole . This is the easiest quickest way to get the tight thumpy kick practically everyone wants. If he has no front head, he needs to get one, and then likely get some damping in there like a pillow or blanket, and then cut a hole in the head and put it on , this is the easiest quickest way to get the tight thumpy but still thick and punchy kick sound practically everyone wants. This of course is for standard pop/rock; trad jazz, extreme metal, etc. have their own aesthetics which will need to be followed.

Oh also new heads, and tune those bad boys, and then break in the new heads so they hold the tune, and tell him to do this the day before so it's not on studio time. And go down to the music store and get every kind of muting/ring controlling thing, gels, rings, tape, etc. so you have some options there. I like the extra thin rings myself, instant punch but still plenty of tone. YMMV.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
I came from live mixing where I pretty much put a mic on everything with L/R OVHD
and applied Gate and Comp as needed. Its obviously a bit different in the studio so I am wondering what mic techniques everyone is using to obtain their signature sound.

Thanks
Warren
Add kick and snare mics, drop the gate and compressor from the overheads for now, see how that goes. Also, try the recorderman method, if the drummer has good dynamic control, that method will go a long way.

There is no need to get way into the weeds here, simplicity and care will beat overdoing it every time, at least in the beginning. Recorderman story and correct 4-mic method here (setup around 8:14):

Old 05-24-2021, 09:32 PM   #8
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
Was also wondering about Mid/Side with maybe Snare and Kick, as well as other methods tried.

W
I like it. I use a Zoom H6 w the mid/side mic as overhead; gets a realistic room sound. Add kick and snare and done. It's not super flexible in terms of panning or details, but works well most of the time and it's a quick set up.

Normally I do it just like I would for live tho, except I take 10x as long to set it up.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #9
WarrenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Add kick and snare mics, drop the gate and compressor from the overheads for now, see how that goes. Also, try the recorderman method, if the drummer has good dynamic control, that method will go a long way.

There is no need to get way into the weeds here, simplicity and care will beat overdoing it every time, at least in the beginning. Recorderman story and correct 4-mic method here (setup around 8:14):

Sorry Karbo I guess my original post lead you to think I used Comp and Gate on OVHD's. Since I don't care for sampled cymbals do to choked tails, a gate seems as it would ruin the tails. I do like the idea of experimenting with other options than what I would use when doing regional touring sound reinforcement. And hopefully getting a more with less approach.

Thank you to all for your varied experience, food for thought!

Warren
Old 05-24-2021, 11:14 PM   #10
karbomusic

I was saying don't use the comp or gate. What I posted was just about getting a good studio drum sound.