Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-30-2021, 05:56 AM   #1
FeedTheCat
Human being with feelings

Default Script: Colorize unthemeable areas to match active theme

Tired of those "unthemeable" areas not meshing well with your current theme?

As you might know, these areas aren't "unthemeable" on Linux. They can be changed by defining a custom colortheme for libSwell.

This script uses the color palette of your active theme to automatically create (and load) a matching colortheme for libSwell.

Usage:
- Load your favorite theme
- Run the script (REAPER will restart)
- Enjoy

Examples:

You can find my scripts on my github or download them using ReaPack:

Copy and paste this link into: Extensions > ReaPack > Import a repository
Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/iliaspoulakis/Reaper-Tools/master/index.xml
Donation Link

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 07-15-2021 at 10:03 AM.
FeedTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:30 AM   #2
rncwalker

Look Great!

Are you going to provide one for Windows?

If not could this be modified to work with windows, I know that a lot of people would be very grateful!

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
strachupl

Wow - jealous windows 7 user.

This is how I imagine Reaper should do it in all platforms
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
rncwalker

Not a jealous windows 7 user at all, I use Windows Blinds, which take care of my colors.

So... for me I'm good.

Their is though, many users here that complain about the colors and they would most likely love this!

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
Glennbo

I'm already using a libSwell-user.colortheme that you posted here, but thought I'd try the script out.

Anyway, my copy of REAPER has no addons, repositories, ReaPack, or anything beyond simple text file modifications like libSwell-user.colortheme. I prefer to keep my copy of REAPER as virgin as possible.

I downloaded the script, and imported it into to the actions list, but it chunks out this message.

Code:
Colorize unthemeable areas to match active theme.lua:7: unexpected symbol near '<'
If that is a result of me not adding extra stuff to REAPER, that's cool because I already have a libSwell-user.colortheme that you posted and which works great with the REAPER theme I've used for the last ten or so years.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
Look Great!

Are you going to provide one for Windows?

If not could this be modified to work with windows, I know that a lot of people would be very grateful!

Robert
Unfortunately it's not possible to make this work on Windows/MacOs afaik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'm already using a libSwell-user.colortheme that you posted here, but thought I'd try the script out.

Anyway, my copy of REAPER has no addons, repositories, ReaPack, or anything beyond simple text file modifications like libSwell-user.colortheme. I prefer to keep my copy of REAPER as virgin as possible.

I downloaded the script, and imported it into to the actions list, but it chunks out this message.

Code:
Colorize unthemeable areas to match active theme.lua:7: unexpected symbol near '<'
If that is a result of me not adding extra stuff to REAPER, that's cool because I already have a libSwell-user.colortheme that you posted and which works great with the REAPER theme I've used for the last ten or so years.
The script has no dependencies, so it should work just fine in stock REAPER. Can you make sure you copied the file content correctly? I looked for the error on google and threads like this kept popping up. (Also there's no symbol '<' anywhere near line 7 in my code ) Maybe try using the RAW mode on github, apparently that can help.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
The script has no dependencies, so it should work just fine in stock REAPER. Can you make sure you copied the file content correctly? I looked for the error on google and threads like this kept popping up. (Also there's no symbol '<' anywhere near line 7 in my code ) Maybe try using the RAW mode on github, apparently that can help.
Wow, that was it. Thanks!

I originally right clicked the link and did a save as, but this time I displayed it raw and copied the text off the screen, pasting it into the original messed up copy.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
Glennbo

This script is pretty cool!

I downloaded a zillion different dark themes to find one that gave me the colors I wanted on menus, all the Rea plugins, and other panels.

Then I loaded the theme I prefer using and did not run the script, which left me with the darker themed colors, but imported to another dark theme that created lighter colored Rea plugins and menus.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-10-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:48 AM   #9
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
This script is pretty cool!

I downloaded a zillion different dark themes to find one that gave me the colors I wanted on menus, all the Rea plugins, and other panels.

Then I loaded the theme I prefer using and did not run the script, which left me with the darker themed colors, but imported to another dark theme that created lighter colored Rea plugins and menus.

Looks great! Was it hard to get the button color you wanted or was it something else? I was contemplating whether to let the user choose the button color directly (There's not really something in a theme defines the color of buttons).
Old 05-31-2021, 05:55 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Looks great! Was it hard to get the button color you wanted or was it something else? I was contemplating whether to let the user choose the button color directly (There's not really something in a theme defines the color of buttons).
Thanks again for your script! Once I found a theme that produced the colors I wanted for menus and ReaPlugins, I renamed that theme to LibswellColors, so I can easily get back to the hybrid theme colors in my first screen shot.

I do like the button colors, but the real reason I went through so many dark themes was to get darker colors on all the ReaPlugins, and menus.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-10-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:13 PM   #11
Hypex

Quote:

Yeah I got stuck on this as well. I loaded the code in the IDE and found that the browser had saved a HTML version of it. So had to go raw. Sometimes I just copy and paste but it mucks up if there is other text around it and you still need the file name.

Anyway thanks for your script. I tested it out and didn't realise it wouldn't pop up a window to tell me what it was doing and ask for confirmation. Next time would be nice. ;-)

I also see your script reveals a few secrets. There are colour keys in there not found in the main ini file. I wonder if these are relevant for Windows/OSX also? I mean, if the key colours can be read in, not to change them. For example the button borders are listed which aren't mentioned in GetThemeColor(). But there are other fields as well. For example the default font and size. And also menu bar sizes. I don't know if and how these can be read in.
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:17 AM   #12
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex View Post
Yeah I got stuck on this as well. I loaded the code in the IDE and found that the browser had saved a HTML version of it. So had to go raw. Sometimes I just copy and paste but it mucks up if there is other text around it and you still need the file name.

Anyway thanks for your script. I tested it out and didn't realise it wouldn't pop up a window to tell me what it was doing and ask for confirmation. Next time would be nice. ;-)
Yeah you're right, when there's no unsaved changes, the script just restarts reaper. I'll add a confirmation dialog for that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex View Post
I also see your script reveals a few secrets. There are colour keys in there not found in the main ini file. I wonder if these are relevant for Windows/OSX also? I mean, if the key colours can be read in, not to change them. For example the button borders are listed which aren't mentioned in GetThemeColor(). But there are other fields as well. For example the default font and size. And also menu bar sizes. I don't know if and how these can be read in.
If I understand correctly, then no, they're not relevant for Windows/OSX. These are color keys for libswell, which is what is used on Linux to draw the system (unthemeable in OSX etc.) parts. I've tried changing the font size and the other stuff listed in there, but I didn't really like the results.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:57 AM   #13
Hypex

Quote:
Yeah you're right, when there's no unsaved changes, the script just restarts reaper. I'll add a confirmation dialog for that case.

Cheers. Some notice did come up after the fact. My system was stock theme before I ran it and it looks like it only added the swell file.

Quote:
If I understand correctly, then no, they're not relevant for Windows/OSX. These are color keys for libswell, which is what is used on Linux to draw the system (unthemeable in OSX etc.) parts. I've tried changing the font size and the other stuff listed in there, but I didn't really like the results.

Shame. I was hoping the keys would be Reaper generic across platforms. I was looking for a way to enquire of default font, size, window background and borders. So could open window that looks as it should with default or current theme settings. I didn't think it should be hard but Reaper makes it hard to do it. Right now all I've got is locating a default font and size, by setting it to "" and reading back the texth, that only works on Linux and is too small on Windows. Due to the fonts being chicken and egg and wired backwards in the API. On top of this is inconsistency is windows open in a different place and inability to locate positions. Given Reaper provides its own gfx API I think it should act the same on all platforms. But it doesn't which makes it hard to work with.
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:43 AM   #14
PMan

I've been loving Lucas_LCS's Blue_Sesshin theme, but the unthemeable areas have been driving me nuts. I looked this thread up and did what Glennbo did, found a nice dark theme, ran the srcipt, and then reloaded Blue_Sesshin. Now all is well!

Thank you, FTC and Glennbo!

PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 12:17 PM   #15
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
I've been loving Lucas_LCS's Blue_Sesshin theme, but the unthemeable areas have been driving me nuts. I looked this thread up and did what Glennbo did, found a nice dark theme, ran the srcipt, and then reloaded Blue_Sesshin. Now all is well!

Thank you, FTC and Glennbo!

You bet! Be sure and save the theme how you have it now.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #16
todd_r

Amazing, thanks FeedTheCat!

PS what are the first two themes?
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:00 AM   #17
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Amazing, thanks FeedTheCat!

PS what are the first two themes?
Should be rLive and Hydra IZ.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:47 AM   #18
acebone

Hi

I really really like this, however on some dialogues I end up having black fonts on a black background

Is there a way I can fix that?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2022-04-22 11-45-58.png (42.4 KB, 159 views)
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:09 AM   #19
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebone View Post
Hi

I really really like this, however on some dialogues I end up having black fonts on a black background

Is there a way I can fix that?
Hmm, I think that color is taken from "Themed window background" in the theme development/tweaker. Change it to a color you prefer prior to running the script.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:42 AM   #20
acebone

That works!

But look at this: The dialogue has both black and white letters, that's rather odd. Perhaps REAPERS theming isn't quite complete yet?

[image]https://forum.cockos.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=48549&stc=1&d=16507968 68[/image]

(wondering how to do an inline image in this forum)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2022-04-24 12-40-08.png (30.2 KB, 154 views)
Old 04-24-2022, 03:59 AM   #21
FeedTheCat

Quote:
That works!

But look at this: The dialogue has both black and white letters, that's rather odd. Perhaps REAPERS theming isn't quite complete yet?
For some reason the I/O window has its own text color called "I/O window text" (in the theme development/tweaker).

Quote:
(wondering how to do an inline image in this forum)
I upload it to imgur (just drag the picture in). Once the upload is complete click the button on the top right and get the BBCode share link.

Old 04-24-2022, 03:26 PM   #22
sub26nico

Thank you @FeedTheCat for this script.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:24 AM   #23
acebone

Quote:
For some reason the I/O window has its own text color called "I/O window text" (in the theme development/tweaker).
Nope, that's not it

Thnx for the img-share info!

Ok, the reason I have two colors is that "theme overrides" option is checked. I unchecked it, and all letters became black.

Then I did a search on the word "text" in the Theme-tweaker. I changed all black colorvalues to white, regardless of what kind of text the color was meant for.

none of the options changed the black letters in the routing-window.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2022-04-25 15-22-16.png (55.6 KB, 1823 views)
File Type: png Screenshot from 2022-04-25 15-23-23.png (31.2 KB, 1831 views)

Last edited by acebone; 04-25-2022 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:51 AM   #24
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Then I did a search on the word "text" in the Theme-tweaker. I changed all black colorvalues to white, regardless of what kind of text the color was meant for.
Some of the text colors in the I/O window are defined by the theme (e.g. "Track channels"), some of them are defined in the libswell colortheme (e.g. "Master send"). The script uses the "Themed window text" color for the libswell part, as this color is used in other windows as well.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:34 AM   #25
acebone

Yeah, it seems to be something missing in the theme-tweaker ...
Old 05-28-2022, 04:24 AM   #26
Mikobuntu

Thank you @FeedTheCat for creating this script, it solved a long running problem that I had with a few themes and even with the stock theme everything just looks better
Mikobuntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:21 AM   #27
/AND/

Quote:

As you might know, these areas aren't "unthemeable" on Linux. They can be changed by defining a custom colortheme for libSwell.

This script uses the color palette of your active theme to automatically create (and load) a matching colortheme for libSwell.

Usage:
- Enjoy
Hey FeedTheCat, thanks for the great script. Unfortunately I'm unable to make it work. I can see it listed in extensions, installed it, restarted Reaper, but these windows are still unthemed.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I go about figuring out what's the issue?

Thanks,
- A
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:12 AM   #28
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
I can see it listed in extensions, installed it, restarted Reaper, but these windows are still unthemed.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I go about figuring out what's the issue?
It has to be run from the actions list.

Shows up as "Colorize unthemable areas..."

Also, it might not change anything due to the theme you use. I used a different theme to get the colors I wanted, then switched back to my usual theme, but didn't run the script so it kept the cool colors from a theme I don't use.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:00 PM   #29
/AND/

Thanks Glenbo, you are a saviour!
Old 11-10-2022, 07:01 PM   #30
Publicradio

Glennbo, thanks so much for the script. I ran it, and it did set my main menu to match Ubuntu's theme on my computer. When I open a window, as when editing a MIDI item, the main menu and toolbar are correct.

However, everything under that remains unchanged. This is also true of everything I keep in my docker: the media explorer, FX browser, project bay, and so on. Also, when I open a menu item, the submenu is not themed

This is a problem that extends beyond the script, though, I'm sure. I downloaded a number of dark libswell.colortheme files from the Reaper stash, and none of them worked properly. One or two of them did darken my submenus, but they had mixed results in the docker, where some panels would be dark and most wouldn't be, and where buttons would be dark with dark text on them.

I see some screenshots here that make me think others are having better results with the colortheme mods. Any idea why I might be getting these results?
Publicradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:44 PM   #31
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicradio View Post
Glennbo, thanks so much for the script.
Feed The Cat wrote the script. I just linked to this thread. From what I remember, using the newest themes will result in more panels and dialogs getting modified.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:09 AM   #32
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicradio View Post
Glennbo, thanks so much for the script. I ran it, and it did set my main menu to match Ubuntu's theme on my computer. When I open a window, as when editing a MIDI item, the main menu and toolbar are correct.

However, everything under that remains unchanged. This is also true of everything I keep in my docker: the media explorer, FX browser, project bay, and so on. Also, when I open a menu item, the submenu is not themed

This is a problem that extends beyond the script, though, I'm sure. I downloaded a number of dark libswell.colortheme files from the Reaper stash, and none of them worked properly. One or two of them did darken my submenus, but they had mixed results in the docker, where some panels would be dark and most wouldn't be, and where buttons would be dark with dark text on them.

I see some screenshots here that make me think others are having better results with the colortheme mods. Any idea why I might be getting these results?
Hard to say what the issue is. Can you maybe post a screenshot?
Old 01-26-2023, 01:39 PM   #33
oldcastle

Quote:

Usage:
- Enjoy
Hi, I'm new to Reaper. I installed the plugin via reapack and now what? What do you mean by run the script? I cannot find any menu entry for it.

Thanks
oldcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:58 AM   #34
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcastle View Post
Hi, I'm new to Reaper. I installed the plugin via reapack and now what? What do you mean by run the script? I cannot find any menu entry for it.

Thanks
You can access scripts (and any action in REAPER) via the action list.

Top menu > Actions > Show action list
Old 11-08-2023, 02:27 AM   #35
FeedTheCat

Howdy folks,

if you're trying out v7 default theme but it doesn't match well with your existing custom libswell theme:

Here's a reverse script that temporarily changes active theme colors so that they look nice with your custom libswell theme.

Haven't found a way to make the changes permanent though...

In other news, the original (not reverse) script doesn't always choose a nice button color. There's a separate script now that you can install to override the button color:

Old 11-08-2023, 04:42 AM   #36
/AND/

I tried to override the button colours to no avail - nothing changes after clicking OK. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-08-2023, 04:52 AM   #37
/AND/

For example I have these horrid neon blue buttons that I can't get rid off

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20231108_124457.png (51.2 KB, 462 views)
Old 11-08-2023, 05:00 AM   #38
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
I tried to override the button colours to no avail - nothing changes after clicking OK. Am I doing something wrong?
Run the "Colorize unthemeable areas to match active theme" script.

The override script just saves your preferred color so that the colorize script can use it.

(not possible to change libswell colors at runtime, REAPER needs to restart)
Old 11-08-2023, 06:27 AM   #39
elcalen

Quote:
Howdy folks,

if you're trying out v7 default theme but it doesn't match well with your existing custom libswell theme:

Here's a reverse script that temporarily changes active theme colors so that they look nice with your custom libswell theme.
I had actually quite recently thought of suggesting a script like this, but I figured it would be too much work, heh.

BUT, I tried running it with a dark libswell theme loaded, and nothing seems to happen. The window backgrounds and list areas etc stay the default light grey colour...
Old 11-08-2023, 06:58 AM   #40
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcalen View Post
I had actually quite recently thought of suggesting a script like this, but I figured it would be too much work, heh.

BUT, I tried running it with a dark libswell theme loaded, and nothing seems to happen. The window backgrounds and list areas etc stay the default light grey colour...
If you open and close the windows?