Old 06-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings

Default Actually proud of this one...

https://goldendeathmusic.bandcamp.co.../painted-sands

Hope someone else out there likes it. I recorded everything completely in Reaper with mostly the native plug-ins.
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
Coachz

You should be proud. That's a really cool tune and a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. Fun guitar sounds, cool female vocal background and a nice vibe. He sustained lead vocals reminded me of the Don't Fear the Reaper thing.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
foxAsteria

And it actually doesn't suck. At all. It's got Cure vibes without being as repetitive or derivative. Reminds me of The Vanishing Kids too, but not many people have heard of them.

Guitar at 1:20 is kinda ear-piercing. Well that whole lead part has got some harsh frequencies on it. Might throw it through a tape sim or lowpass or so.

Good song tho and that's the important thing.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #4
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
And it actually doesn't suck. At all. It's got Cure vibes without being as repetitive or derivative. Reminds me of The Vanishing Kids too, but not many people have heard of them.

Guitar at 1:20 is kinda ear-piercing. Well that whole lead part has got some harsh frequencies on it. Might throw it through a tape sim or lowpass or so.

excellent tip! I will definitely give it a second look. Maybe run it through Magnetic. Incidentally, my monitoring situation is shit pretty much haha

Thanks so much for listening
Old 06-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
You should be proud. That's a really cool tune and a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. Fun guitar sounds, cool female vocal background and a nice vibe. He sustained lead vocals reminded me of the Don't Fear the Reaper thing.
Ha, I never listened to much BOC but I do love Don't Fear The Reaper (refraining from puns here) and Burnin' for You. Thanks so much for listening and I'm incredibly glad you like it.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #6
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post

Hey, just wanted to say thanks again for the good advice. I recently moved to Bogota from the US where I am monitoring through a pair of headphones at full volume to substitute for speakers so I know i'm missing some obvious stuff sometimes. Anyway, I redid the mix a bit and think I smoothed out the issue you mentioned. I also did the mastering in Adobe Audition (like I normally do) instead of using Ozone 8 and I think it sounds smoother overall. I'll post the link to the new version if you want, but regardless, thanks again!!! I truly appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
msundh

great song, good variation in the arrangement.
Well done.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:00 AM   #8
Coachz

I'm listening to the mix now on my Rokit 8s with 10 sub and I really like it. Tell me about your vocal treatments please. The lead has a very smooth sound. The guitars sound just right as does everything else. I thought the bass might be too loud at first but it's just right on my system. The solo at 2:10 fits just right too. The acoustic guitars have just the right amount of highs on the to keep them sparkling. Really a solid mix. I like the up energy guitars at the end too. Yay

Coachz Repo
Old 06-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #9
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
I'm listening to the mix now on my Rokit 8s with 10 sub and I really like it. Tell me about your vocal treatments please. The lead has a very smooth sound. The guitars sound just right as does everything else. I thought the bass might be too loud at first but it's just right on my system. The solo at 2:10 fits just right too. The acoustic guitars have just the right amount of highs on the to keep them sparkling. Really a solid mix. I like the up energy guitars at the end too. Yay

Thank you very much! I fixed the mix a bit according to the other comments up here so if you heard the most recent version. For my vocals on this song I didn't do too much out of the ordinary. I think it was an Aston Origin direct into an Audient ID22. For fx I just used a minimal amount of ReaComp, a tiny bit of EQ to take out some low end, and an impulse reverb I really like in SIR called Gothic Church (I usually reduce the low end on the reverb a bit, and shorten the delay time). Aside from that, I occasionally used Dubstation or Echoes for the delayed/repeating bits. Thank you again so much for the detailed feedback and for making my day with your positive comments. I definitely needed it.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #10
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
great song, good variation in the arrangement.
Well done.
thank you so much! i'm in one of those classic self-loathing artistic phases right now, so any kind words help a lot. All the best to you.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #11
Coachz

Make tunes that you enjoy listening to and don't worry what anybody else says in the end. In my signature is an album Boun e that I finished a few months ago and really really like. I had a great time making it and I still love the sound quality of it and the vibe and the grooves.

Check it out and see what you think but just know that if anybody says this sucks or that's wrong I'll take that advice but I'm not going to quit loving the tunes and the songs because I write them for me first.

Coachz Repo
Old 06-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Make tunes that you enjoy listening to and don't worry what anybody else says in the end. In my signature is an album Boun e that I finished a few months ago and really really like. I had a great time making it and I still love the sound quality of it and the vibe and the grooves.

Check it out and see what you think but just know that if anybody says this sucks or that's wrong I'll take that advice but I'm not going to quit loving the tunes and the songs because I write them for me first.
hell yeah, good attitude to have man. I just listened to your music and it sucks and you're wrong. okok, just kidding man, it's incredibly well put together and recorded. All the best to you and your music!
Old 06-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #13
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDeathMusic View Post
hell yeah, good attitude to have man. I just listened to your music and it sucks and you're wrong. okok, just kidding man, it's incredibly well put together and recorded. All the best to you and your music!
Ha ha. I also don't make music if I'm not having fun with the people. I think the vibe comes through in tunes and some albums I can just tell they had fun recording them.

Coachz Repo
Old 06-06-2021, 07:11 AM   #14
pbattersby

This has a certain haunting feel to it (which is good). It also reminded me of Don't Fear the Reaper but not because it sounds like a copy, but has a similar feel and quality to it (also a good thing). I'm glad someone else pointed that out because it was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure out which song I was thinking about. I went scanning the comment hoping someone else had named it.

Anyway, good song, well done, it sounds radio ready to me.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #15
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbattersby View Post
This has a certain haunting feel to it (which is good). It also reminded me of Don't Fear the Reaper but not because it sounds like a copy, but has a similar feel and quality to it (also a good thing). I'm glad someone else pointed that out because it was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure out which song I was thinking about. I went scanning the comment hoping someone else had named it.

That is incredibly heartening to hear, as I'm going to be trying to get into promoting my music again after like 10 years of not doing so. My dream would be to record a song as great as Don't Fear the Reaper...especially that guitar solo breakdown part...man...
Old 06-06-2021, 03:59 PM   #16
smueske

I really dig this. It's refreshing and different. Light and spacious, almost psychedelic. It gets a bit harsh in places, so look at some of the EQ in the 10 - 14 khz range. Great track! Glad I got the chance to listen to it.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #17
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smueske View Post
I really dig this. It's refreshing and different. Light and spacious, almost psychedelic. It gets a bit harsh in places, so look at some of the EQ in the 10 - 14 khz range. Great track! Glad I got the chance to listen to it.
Thank you so much, man! Truly flattered by your comments. And thanks for the tips too, I will definitely revisit it with special attention on those frequencies! All the best to you and your own music.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:08 PM   #18
g4greg

I really enjoyed that song! I got The cure vibes, but more upbeat. And the guitar work is really, really nice.

The harmonies are also very well done, you guys sound good together!

Great job!
Old 06-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #19
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
I really enjoyed that song! I got The cure vibes, but more upbeat. And the guitar work is really, really nice.

The harmonies are also very well done, you guys sound good together!

Great job!
Thank you forever for listening, my friend. I love the cure, as well as tons of post punk stuff (joy division, gang of four, the names, etc) so that comes through in a lot of my music I think. Also, 99% of my songs are just me so it was a real pleasure to get to work with a female vocalist - glad you enjoyed it!

All the best to you and your own music, and thanks again for listening. I appreciate it tremendously.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #20
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbattersby View Post

It's funny, I love that song but didn't hear the similarities until you guys mentioned it. Super flattered if anything, as that is an all time classic.