Old 06-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
Retro Audio Enthusiast
Human being with feelings
 
Retro Audio Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 490
Default Favourite Channel Strip / Track Plugins?

What your favourite default channel strips or plugins on a track? Any recommendations?

I record acoustic music, mostly guitar-based so I tend to go for an old-school retro approach with colour. I get things good at the mic then take it from there.

I use the Lindell Audio 80, with an LSR VLB902 de-esser for vocals.

Lately after a Waves sale, I've been playing with the Waves Renaissance Vox & Axx for vocals and guitar, with channel EQ on the VEQ and the Kramer Tape.

My usual Master Bus plugins are Airwindows Capacitor 2, the 112db Redline EQ, TR5 Tape 80 then bx_limiter.

My Reverb Send goes to a PSP 2445, epicVerb, Verbtone, Mikron or TR5 Sunset Strip Reverb or an old hardware ZOOM 1201.
__________________
REAPER License Holder
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:25 AM   #2
hexSPA
Human being with feelings
 
hexSPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In an Apartment
Posts: 42
Default

The Melda free bundle is great. Sonimus Satson is handy and is my currently preferred console emulation.

Obviously everyone will have their preference. Like most people, however, I generally use a (dynamic) EQ, and basic compressor for most insert duties. Past that, I'll use some kind of saturation or distortion as well as MUtility for keeping my volume automation separate.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:35 AM   #3
beingmf
Human being with feelings
 
beingmf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jazz City
Posts: 4,525
Default

If you like the Lindell 80, you might want to try some of the Acustica Neves. Gold (the vintage suite) is great obviously, but I have to admit that I just used Lime and Navy (two more modern Neves) on a retro acoustic "folk pop" mix on 6 strg and 12 strg and it sounds amazing.

All those combined with the Kush Omega transformers -> chef's kiss!
__________________
Windows 10x64 | AMD Ryzen 3700X | ATI FirePro 2100 | Marian Seraph AD2, 4.1.2.0 | Yamaha Steinberg MR816x
Experience the Blunzeworscht!
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:00 AM   #4
pekki
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 8
Default

I've really been liking the new SSL Native bundle, which comes at $14,99 as a monthly sub. Their channel strip is probably responsible for 90% of EQing I ever do in a mix, plus you can switch between E and G channels, inside a single plugin.

Plenty of other stuff in the bundle that is hella good
pekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #5
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 21,894
Default

Another plus for the SSL Natives. I have had the reverb and the channel strip for several years and both are excellent, even if they are digital representations of digital hardware!
__________________
Ici on parles Franglais
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:01 PM   #6
Tone Ranger
Human being with feelings
 
Tone Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 391
Default

If you love the Lindell 80, you should also try the Lindell 50 if you haven't already. Equally as good, but API style...
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:21 AM   #7
Softsynth
Human being with feelings
 
Softsynth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7,256
Default

You can make your own FX chains and save them as templates in Reaper.

Also maybe have a look at the Analogue Obsession plugins?
Those are now free, but are also donation-ware if you can see yourself using lots of his plugins on a regular basis.
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/202...channel-strip/
__________________
At 3440X1440 The standard Reaper 6 theme looks really good at 150% on Transport, Envelope panel & track panel. The rest at standard.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:43 AM   #8
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berlin
Posts: 11,207
Default

One more vote for Analog Obsession. Excellent. Use the Lindell 80 as well. Just great on so many things.

Great for instruments and vocals is Klanghelm MJUC. Just 23€ too. Three ranges of flavours in one plugin. Check the MixbusTV Youtube review for examples.

Go-to reverbs are varied. Valhalla Room, though Valhalla Vintage Verb is cooler for music imho. Acon Digitals reverbs sound great. And then there are the kings of presets and versatility, Stratus and Symphony by Exponential Audio. I use Immersive and Stratus on 5.1 dialogue mixes.

EQ, Fabfilter Q3 though for saturation you can pick up almost anything, including the free excellent Analog Obsession stuff.
__________________
(Video)Using Latch Preview - Faderport16 CSI v1.0 config
Airon Audio Dia/FX Edit&Mix
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #9
Retro Audio Enthusiast
Human being with feelings
 
Retro Audio Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 490
Default

All great replies -thank you.

Has anyone used the Sonimus Britson? I'm hearing a lot of things about it but there's no demo of it available. Do I even need it with already having the Lindell 80?
__________________
REAPER License Holder
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:05 AM   #10
beingmf
Human being with feelings
 
beingmf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jazz City
Posts: 4,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Great for instruments and vocals is Klanghelm MJUC. Just 23€ too. Three ranges of flavours in one plugin. [...] One more vote for Analog Obsession. Excellent.
Thumbs up for both. MJUC is unreal! The way it (or "they", to be fair) changes the overall timbre is fantastic. Analog Obsession surpasses himself with each new plugin. The new version of FETISH (an 1176 kind of clone) is one of the thickest, smoothest fast compressors out there (remember the previous version? Almost unusable), so let's hope for future updates which will finally put him in the major league of plugin coders.
__________________
Windows 10x64 | AMD Ryzen 3700X | ATI FirePro 2100 | Marian Seraph AD2, 4.1.2.0 | Yamaha Steinberg MR816x
Experience the Blunzeworscht!
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:08 AM   #11
Rednroll
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

The 1st console I learned to record/mix on was an SSL 4000G and therefore, I really like the SSL Channel plugin. Everything just feels like home.

For best sound quality plugs, I'm really enjoying the Slate Digital Plugins where they have a "Virtual Mix Rack" plugin, which has an SSL console EQ section included as part of the VMR and you can pull in different assortment of other hardware simulated options included in the plugin and arrange them in any order. It seems to be intended to mimic those external hardware channel strip rack modules which are popular lately. Definitely check it out if you haven't yet.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:17 AM   #12
Rednroll
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post

Go-to reverbs are varied. Valhalla Room, though Valhalla Vintage Verb is cooler for music imho. Acon Digitals reverbs sound great. And then there are the kings of presets and versatility, Stratus and Symphony by Exponential Audio. I use Immersive and Stratus on 5.1 dialogue mixes.
I grew up using a 480L reverb so that's where my personal reference target point in regards to good sounding reverbs. I always heard great things about the Valhalla Vintage verb from the Reaper community so I go it. Later I got the Slate Digital "VerbSuite Classics" plugin, and I have to tell you, the VerbSuite Classics plugin is now my goto verbs. Closest thing I've heard to the 480L in a plugin so far. It uses convolution files, so maybe that's the reason....I just know it sounds great. Best sounding reverb plugin I've heard yet, but am going to check out the ones you mentioned as well.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-05-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #13
poetnprophet
Human being with feelings
 
poetnprophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
The 1st console I learned to record/mix on was an SSL 4000G and therefore, I really like the SSL Channel plugin. Everything just feels like home.

For best sound quality plugs, I'm really enjoying the Slate Digital Plugins where they have a "Virtual Mix Rack" plugin, which has an SSL console EQ section included as part of the VMR and you can pull in different assortment of other hardware simulated options included in the plugin and arrange them in any order. It seems to be intended to mimic those external hardware channel strip rack modules which are popular lately. Definitely check it out if you haven't yet.
+1 from me for the Virtual Mix Rack. It really does have everything: preamp, eq, comp, and many other things in many flavors/colors. Although I can't comment on how "real" they are compared to what they claim to emulate, they sound fantastic. On top of that, zero latency and low cpu so you can track with many modules in real time.
__________________
https://www.kdubbproductions.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpC...2dGA3qUWBKrXQQ
i7 8700k,4.9Ghz,Win10,Reaper 6,Motu 828es, Cranborne ADAT500
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #14
locombiano
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Pereira, Colombia
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Analog Obsession surpasses himself with each new plugin. The new version of FETISH (an 1176 kind of clone) is one of the thickest, smoothest fast compressors out there (remember the previous version? Almost unusable), so let's hope for future updates which will finally put him in the major league of plugin coders.
With due respect, I am not convinced of the quality of Analog Obsession plugins. I suspect that the meter Buster SE compressor, is not properly calibrated, it was my last attempt with such plugins. This reminds me that JS: VU Meter is not accurate either.
locombiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #15
Softsynth
Human being with feelings
 
Softsynth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locombiano View Post
With due respect, I am not convinced of the quality of Analog Obsession plugins. I suspect that the meter Buster SE compressor, is not properly calibrated, it was my last attempt with such plugins. This reminds me that JS: VU Meter is not accurate either.
Have you tried to inform him?
I haven't really spent time with them myself. Installed the one EQ so far.
I've heard a few folks singing their praises (like this guy - and in the comments section):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMmbD_xA9RI
and others saying they had a few bugs prior to 2021. Just seems worth checking them out if you like your plugins to look and presumably behave like existing gear (most of the time) , especially with so much praise - which is perhaps inevitable given the free/donationware model and pro quality GUIs.
__________________
At 3440X1440 The standard Reaper 6 theme looks really good at 150% on Transport, Envelope panel & track panel. The rest at standard.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #16
locombiano
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Pereira, Colombia
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Have you tried to inform him?
I haven't really spent time with them myself. Installed the one EQ so far.
No, I have not and I don't think I will contact him. I think that Buster SE behaviour is so strange, it hardly compresses, compare this compressor with a similar one and I think you will understand my point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I've heard a few folks singing their praises (like this guy - and in the comments section):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMmbD_xA9RI
In this video, he made an analysis of another Analog Obsession compressor, Britpressor and apparently is working well.

I have to admit that Analog Obsession GUI's are very nice.
locombiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:14 AM   #17
Softsynth
Human being with feelings
 
Softsynth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locombiano View Post
No, I have not and I don't think I will contact him. I think that Buster SE behaviour is so strange, it hardly compresses, compare this compressor with a similar one and I think you will understand my point of view.
TD Molotok is capable and free for anyone wishing to make a comparison there. Only fair to download the latest version of the AO compressor too, and check out the "turbo" mode on the AO.
__________________
At 3440X1440 The standard Reaper 6 theme looks really good at 150% on Transport, Envelope panel & track panel. The rest at standard.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:40 PM   #18
Retro Audio Enthusiast
Human being with feelings
 
Retro Audio Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 490
Default

Analog Obsession plugins have changed greatly since they first came out. They are excellent.
He is re-coding all of them and has re-released many so far.
__________________
REAPER License Holder
Retro Audio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #19
Magicbuss
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,870
Default

Not really a big channel strip fan as I like to see at a glance what my EQ curve is for a given channel so that means using a graphical UI.

Here's a roundup of all the main players in the SSL strip world:
https://sonicscoop.com/2018/07/26/be...strip-roundup/

But there are some smaller companies doing great work too (not necessarily SSL style)
https://sonimus.com/products/satsoncs
https://www.tbproaudio.de/products/cs-5501
https://ddmf.eu/thestrip-channel-strip-plugin/

And there are a couple freebies worth mentioning
https://deadducksoftware.blogspot.co...annel.html?m=1
https://smacklabs.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/hello-world/

Last edited by Magicbuss; 06-07-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #20
nightscope
Human being with feelings
 
nightscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,074
Default



ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #21
jazztom
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
What your favourite default channel strips or plugins on a track? Any recommendations?

I record acoustic music, mostly guitar-based so I tend to go for an old-school retro approach with colour. I get things good at the mic then take it from there.

I use the Lindell Audio 80, with an LSR VLB902 de-esser for vocals.

Lately after a Waves sale, I've been playing with the Waves Renaissance Vox & Axx for vocals and guitar, with channel EQ on the VEQ and the Kramer Tape.

My usual Master Bus plugins are Airwindows Capacitor 2, the 112db Redline EQ, TR5 Tape 80 then bx_limiter.

My Reverb Send goes to a PSP 2445, epicVerb, Verbtone, Mikron or TR5 Sunset Strip Reverb or an old hardware ZOOM 1201.
A great channel strip for tracking and mixing is the PSP channel strip (0 latency)
jazztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #22
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berlin
Posts: 11,207
Default

We're completely spoiled for good choices.

Be sure to stick to very few choices at the start, until you get the most out of them. Then you'll know what to really listen for. At least that's how it was for myself and a number of other folks I read about.
__________________
(Video)Using Latch Preview - Faderport16 CSI v1.0 config
Airon Audio Dia/FX Edit&Mix
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:31 AM   #23
hexSPA
Human being with feelings
 
hexSPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In an Apartment
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Audio Enthusiast View Post
All great replies -thank you.

Has anyone used the Sonimus Britson? I'm hearing a lot of things about it but there's no demo of it available. Do I even need it with already having the Lindell 80?
I haven't used Britson but have read praise on GS. Actually, when my friend bought me the license for Satson, I wrote them to see if they'd give me a deal on a bundle and they seemed receptive.

A few years ago, I did a comparison between Airwindows' console and Satson that you can watch here: https://youtu.be/35Xo2iYpD-g Obviously, Satson won for me. On my site, linked from the video, I have an even older recording demo of the first Slate VCC.

All I can say is that, while I don't necessarily like all console emulation, I never seem to be able to remove Satson from my mix template. YMMV.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:46 AM   #24
jazznfunk
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Riga Latvia
Posts: 142
Default

I like:
- JS Apple 12-pole filter for low or/and high cut
- ReaEQ/TDR Slick EQ
- Sonic Anomaly/Supermaalima S.LA.X, JS 1175 Compressor, Klanghelm DC1A2 for compression
- JS Saturation or some Airwindows stuff for this.

Yes, MJUC is killer alongside with TDR Kotelnikov. I use these for busses.
jazznfunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:12 AM   #25
serstickman
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
Default

+1 on Lindell 80!

It's easy to use & sounds amazing to my ear for everything.
__________________
2021 m1 Mac Mini 16gb ram 2tb storage, 2019 AMD 2700x 4ghz, 32 GB RAM Logic 10.6 Reaper, Studio One 5.2, Cubase 9, Waves Platinum, numerous sample libraries- All Lives Matter!
serstickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.