Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
GovindaJaya
Human being with feelings

Default Midi not always recognised in Reaper

Hello I'm having some trouble getting Reaper to reliably recognise my Midi device (Akai MPKMini).

I have Reaper up to date, and I have the midi drivers working and up to date.
The midi is recognised in other programmes like MPC Essentials straight away.
But in Reaper, even after selecting the midi in Preferences, and setting it to Control+Enable, it still is not reliably always working.

My process for starting the midi track is:

-New Track
-Arm and monitor input
-Add FX
-Select Input:MIDI (< This is where I should see Akai MPK listed)
-Select: All Midi channels

The issue is that sometime the Akai is listed here, and sometimes it isnt.
It doesn't make sense, and it seems that when I leave it for a little while, Reaper then sometimes suddenly recognises it here as an option.

Please could someone help me figure out what is wrong?

Thanks
GovindaJaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
dave_t

I have that problem occasionally, usually with a Novation Launchkey keyboard. There is an action in the Action List called "reset MIDI devices" or something like that, and running that action usually sorts out the problem. I have that action assigned to a shortcut because I use it so often. I should look into whether there's a way to have that action run whenever you open a project.

$0.02
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
ivansc

Hi and welcome to the forums!

It could be - since it is random - that you are using a different USB port and the change is not getting picked up. I get this with Win10 occasionally although less often than back in the days of Win7.

I wonder if the MPC program (since it is also made by Akai) is doing some kind of special "talk to me" routine to check where you plugged your MPK in?

And of course the most obvious (and cheap) thing to try is buy a slightly better quality USB lead than the one supplied.

If you check in the options menues you will find an option to re-scan MIDI devices, too, which might well be easier than finding and using a custom action.

Just in case you didnt already, Download and check out the free User Guide and have a look at the excellent video tutorials at reaper.fm
Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
DarrenH

I had intermittent MIDI issues constantly when running USB midi. I switched to running my MIDI out via a dedicated MIDI-to-USB adapter and the problems seemed to disappear. No idea where the problem could have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovindaJaya View Post
Hello I'm having some trouble getting Reaper to reliably recognise my Midi device (Akai MPKMini).

I have Reaper up to date, and I have the midi drivers working and up to date.
The midi is recognised in other programmes like MPC Essentials straight away.
But in Reaper, even after selecting the midi in Preferences, and setting it to Control+Enable, it still is not reliably always working.

My process for starting the midi track is:

-New Track
-Arm and monitor input
-Add FX
-Select Input:MIDI (< This is where I should see Akai MPK listed)
-Select: All Midi channels

The issue is that sometime the Akai is listed here, and sometimes it isnt.
It doesn't make sense, and it seems that when I leave it for a little while, Reaper then sometimes suddenly recognises it here as an option.

Please could someone help me figure out what is wrong?

Thanks
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
martifingers

Similar problem here also with a MPKmini. But suddenly it started working and since then has been faultless (touch wood!) I don't remember changing anything relevant so I cannot assist.
On th other hand REAPER does occasionally lose my audio interface and needs a restart or even reboot sometimes. As this happens maybe once in 100 runs I put it down to Windows stuff and don't worry.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote