Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #41
lachrimae
Human being with feelings

Just wanted to chime in and say that IMO the Reaper manual is extremely well written. My impression on reading it is:
1) Clearly not enough people rtfm before posting here (though the community is still very forgiving, which is cool)
2) the author (Kenny) thinks from the reader's perspective when writing (a rarity).
Sure, it's geared towards power users but that fits in line with Reaper's functionality and userbase.

On a side note I think having more official sample projects available as a separate download is a good idea.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #42
Susan G

@ ReaDave & lachrimae-

To give credit where it's due, the excellent User Guide is written by Geoffrey Francis (aka nicholas), not Kenny Gioia. Kenny did the Groove 3 REAPER tutorials (also excellent, from what I've heard.)

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #43
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

You're right Susan. My apologies to Nicholas. I was thinking of this... http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=86572

Edit - I fixed my post made about the manual earlier.

Last edited by Dannii; 02-14-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #44
Dannii

For the record, the user guide by Nicholas does have a dedicated link. Perhaps that could be added in a more prominent position on the download page.

Here's the current link... http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
Old 02-15-2014, 12:57 AM   #45
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
For the record, the user guide by Nicholas does have a dedicated link. Perhaps that could be added in a more prominent position on the download page.

Here's the current link... http://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php
Hi ReaDave-

It's right there under "Latest version is..." on http://www.cockos.com/reaper/index.php. What would be a "more prominent position"?

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:43 AM   #46
Cosmic

The Reaper manual is seriously comprehensive.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:01 AM   #47
huberkinky

I have to admit, that manual is excellent. Just worked on AUX sends etc and with help of the manual I was able to connect delays with reverbs and send vocals tracks without any hassles in few minutes.

Excellent job by Geoffrey Francis!

So far all my problems are solved, but took me to long, much to long. But now is sweet.

And now I care as much as most of you do... Works for me... happy.

Don't care, learned here my lesson...

Bwahahahahahahahahaha....
huberkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #48
ivansc

I take it that is as close as you are gonna get to an apology for the earlier rants?

Always amuses me that a tiny percentage of Reaper newbs take umbrage at having to actually learn how to do things slightly different, when one woudl hope they are here looking for a new DAW because they are dissatisfied with the way their existing stuff works.
P.S. Still using my Amiga 1200 and BPP for any serious MIDI work. Old habits die hard.....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 AM   #49
huberkinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I take it that is as close as you are gonna get to an apology for the earlier rants?

Always amuses me that a tiny percentage of Reaper newbs take umbrage at having to actually learn how to do things slightly different, when one woudl hope they are here looking for a new DAW because they are dissatisfied with the way their existing stuff works.
P.S. Still using my Amiga 1200 and BPP for any serious MIDI work. Old habits die hard.....
Nah! It shouldn't be that hard. I could nit find in manual settings to changing colors on track and after 10 years with PTools I would like to find tracks easy.

Still demo song would help and plugin settings is a must. Good menu as well or not change it!

I was Amiga fan for years, Started with Amiga 1000, than Amiga 3000 with flicker fixer. That was great machine. Than a little disappointed wit A4000 and than started own business building and selling PC's. Started with DX4x100 with Windows 6.22.

So I have seen great going nuts (Amiga) bad getting to the top (Gates) etc. Bars & Pipes...

Please don't forget one fundamental thing.

The customer is always right!

Hate Waves! Still using PTools 5.1.3 on MAC G4 OS 9.2 and migrating into Reaper.

I have Golden Bundle and my hdd has crashed, so I wanted new response for new hdd. Nope! Upgrade would cost me - new MAC, new PTools and new most other plugins.

It's a dinosaur could be in public domain because maybe 100 people is still using such gear, In agreement is not a time limit and I've paid 3 or 4 thousand of dollars for Golden Bundle.

But luckily it was the main 0 sector damaged on hdd and when I have replaced the sector overwriting it, now all works like a charmed. However, Reaper rocks and I'm looking forward to do some serious mixed. Just mastered one of my songs and no single glitch. Running 4 sytnhs simultaneously with Omnisphere multitrack, Sylenth, Albino and Nexus plus few other plugins - no single glitch.

But I had one crash not knowing that you have to close one project before loading another. Because I'm running XP my memory is small the system does not use the whole 16 GB. So it crashed - my fault.

I have second hdd with Win 7 and will take a lot of time to put all on it!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:28 AM   #50
Skel

Quote:
Originally Posted by huberkinky View Post
I have second hdd with Win 7 and will take a lot of time to put all on it!
It's worth the effort More RAM is always sexy
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #51
mollvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
I was a ProTools user for a decade and recorded and mixed some big name international acts in my humble studio. I actually still own four ProTools rigs but rarely use them. The last time I fired up ProTools (a couple of months ago) was to export an old recording I am remixing and writing new lyrics to into REAPER. That project was actually sitting on my original Mac G4 (wind tunnel) rig with its original hard drives (fifteen years old now) which still actually works. It was a bit of a shock going back and realizing how slow that technology is by today's standards though!!

Personally, I love the marketing strategy of REAPER. Word of mouth works when the product delivers and overall, REAPER delivers IMHO and in the opinion of many others as well.
I also love REAPER's tiny download and DO NOT WANT a whole bunch of download data sucking third party plugins, which in the case of ProTools often run in demo mode unless you purchase them separately, demo songs and sample libraries I'll likely never use.

Granted, REAPER had a learning curve coming from ProTools but this learning curve is to be expected and was far smaller than many other products. I tried to get into Logic way back when it was owned by Emagic but that was ANYTHING BUT logical for me. Others love it but it did my head in to be honest!!
REAPER, on the other hand, was VERY logical and intuitive and I love the fact that there are numerous ways of achieving the same outcome. Multiple menu methods are great IMHO.

The thing that sold me with REAPER though was the stability. Granted, my first version 5 install of ProTools on my Mac G4 was quite stable but still nowhere near as stable as REAPER.
In fact, I was so blown away by the reliability of REAPER that I first used it on location recordings of some of the aforementioned international acts and we all know you only get ONE chance with those type of acts doing live shows. Despite having a standalone hard disk recording system for backup purposes, REAPER never let me down and the backup was never needed.

I originally transferred those recordings into ProTools and mixed there. Then I started mixing in REAPER and really discovered how much faster it was/is for me compared to ProTools and I've never looked back. I do everything in REAPER now.

Oh, and how many other DAWs can you COMPLETELY customize the interface to suit your workflow? THAT aspect of REAPER is a HUGE bonus for me. Granted I spent weeks working on the first version of my theme but the point is I was able to completely transform both the look and functionality of REAPER to suit my preferences of working with tape machines and hardware mixing consoles. I now get the familiarity of hardware with the flexibility of great software and I am VERY happy as a result.
Word!
mollvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #52
mollvik

Quote:
I had some close encounter with Reaper and it prompted me to some outburst, which can be read here...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...85#post1313085

The link tells why my opinion should be consider, because I have an extensive computer selling, repairs, tuition and experience, since Commodere 64, Amiga and Bars and Pipes included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDJq-YxgwQg

Used early Cubase and Logic.

User of Ptools since 1994!

So here we are...

Reaper IMHO ius the best DAW in Windows platform, but is sold the way, someone could write a book, how to kill the program through hopeless way of selling it to the public.

I don't think it can be any worse.
----------------------------------
Quote end!

Huberkinky, If you are such a genius on public Relations and marketing, why dont you write an email to cockos Corporation and let them discover it, instead on running a rant show!?

(Sorry, couldn't help my self...)
Old 02-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #53
huberkinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollvik View Post
Quote end!

Huberkinky, If you are such a genius on public Relations and marketing, why dont you write an email to cockos Corporation and let them discover it, instead on running a rant show!?

(Sorry, couldn't help my self...)
I'm talking like a customer, not a PR guru...

Remember, it's easier to get forgiveness than to get a permission.

It would the same response like here. Bosses always know the best.

Most don't agree with marketing and most has no idea what I'm taking about. You think, the Corporation will listen to anyone?

You must be unrepentant dreamer!

I'm walking on Earth.

Going back to my Reaper....
Old 02-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #54
mollvik

Quote:
I'm talking like a customer, not a PR guru...

Remember, it's easier to get forgiveness than to get a permission.

It would the same response like here. Bosses always know the best.

Most don't agree with marketing and most has no idea what I'm taking about. You think, the Corporation will listen to anyone?

You must be unrepentant dreamer!

I'm walking on Earth.

Going back to my Reaper....

You are not only a genius, but a connoisseur of human dimensions, well aren't you a cheeky gift!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #55
paterpeter

All the rant, PT and marketing drivel aside, IMO having a couple of separably downloadable demo projects isn't a bad idea. Not to "sell Reaper properly", but to give new users an overview of some common mechanics like folders, routing and the built-in plugins. Ideally such a project would come with an explanation what has been done (and why).
paterpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #56
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
Hi ReaDave-

It's right there under "Latest version is..." on http://www.cockos.com/reaper/index.php. What would be a "more prominent position"?

-Susan
Well there you go! Don't I feel like a right idiot now!!
Please excuse me while I go and take my foot out of my mouth!

I actually have the download page bookmarked so I don't usually go to the page before that one (the one with the link to the manual RIGHT UNDER the download latest version link).
I guess I should've looked first!
Now that I've said that, I probably should have a look on the latest version page. The link to the manual is probably right there in plain site, front and centre too but, in my excitement to grab the latest version, I always go directly to the download button for the REAPER installer.

Edit, the link to the manual is on the download page and in the same spot but I don't feel QUITE so bad because it isn't smacking me in the face right under the actual installer download button. LOL

Last edited by Dannii; 02-15-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Dannii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #57
emanresu

To OP, the bestest ever thing with reaper is that the founder actually doesn't have to worry so much about marketing and making money. I hope it stays that way and just gets a bit better and better in future. We, the users, are actually very very lucky to have this kind of company doing it that way

My friends who work with DAWs have said mostly positive things about Reaper. And also most of them know about it already. So, most likely Reaper will have a little breakthrough in some years without having to "massage the potential customers" too much. There is manual, video tutorials and if thats not enough, you can very quickly get help in the forum.. like in a few minutes usually.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #58
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

The points the OP made have been brought up multiple times and they're valid and known, no matter what the actual motivation for them was in any particular case (in which e.g. someone who has experience with other DAW software pleads for a hypothetical newcomer).

FWIW, like many people who had learned to become efficient in one or more other DAWs, I had quite bad initial 30 minutes exploring REAPER too, because I couldn't be bothered to look up things in the manual (for the n-ths time) and things were not laid out as I was expecting (and used to), which I found hard to understand ("why do they have to reinvent the wheel?"). It took me a while until the lights came on one by one, and I want to encourage everyone to be more persevering when trying any new DAW, or you may miss out on something great.

Unfortunately, the hardest part is "unlearning" the old workflow, in particular whenever you switch to a software that's working fundamentally different than the previous one. That's also why many actual newcomers that never had used a DAW before have much less difficulties than that "hypothetical" newcomer emphatically considered in many of these threads.

However, the REAPER software (unlike its forum) is not particularly newbie-friendly, I think just like any other DAW of this complexity. It doesn't address newcomers (the price is causing lots of confusion about that - "it's cheap, it must be for noobs") at all and it doesn't address any "instant gratification" needs. It doesn't come with anything that you'd throw away anyway, after it has needlessly impregnated the installer. What (reasonable, fitting into the REAPER world, considering how and where it's different) ways there are to make it easier for newcomers has to be learned slowly and thoroughly and I think that knowledge (and the possibilities to use that knowledge) comes with the evolution of the product, just like everything else. But no doubt, there's room for improvement and we're all aware of that.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #59
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterpeter View Post
All the rant, PT and marketing drivel aside, IMO having a couple of separably downloadable demo projects isn't a bad idea. Not to "sell Reaper properly", but to give new users an overview of some common mechanics like folders, routing and the built-in plugins. Ideally such a project would come with an explanation what has been done (and why).
True. Whenever stuff like this comes up (asked rationally or via rant like the OP did here), it starts yet another big cascading straw ball a' rolling downhill. A repetitive list of reasons that has nothing at all to do with the point and which often enough isn't even true.

As relates to demo songs, just find 2-3 artists (every pro daw has real artists making some records right?) and ask them to submit some - very well done and complete - works to use as demo songs. It not only provides a frame of reference for the mostly clueless (the target) , it's often the only real complete perspective for the brand newbie mix or recording engineer. It can't so much be done with EDM and similar though since Reaper doesn't really have any good instruments or samples to do that with, so it would be all bands.

If you have good quality recordings and mixes in demo songs you have something to reference if you're brand new and learning, to frame your own work against, to compare it to, to study and learn from. And no, "Brad Sucks" as ogg files isn't really that.

And to answer the inevitable question, no, downloading song stems from SOS isn't that either since "you the brand newbie without much of a clue that everyone else takes the time to cater to a little bit" don't actually know how to mix yet.

As to another reason why most other daws have midi demo songs, it's pretty obvious, it's to present to the new user - what's possible to do - with the included content and instruments.

Last edited by Lawrence; 02-15-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #60
mollvik

I have to say; I have got more respect and I am full of admiration for those who are running this forum, and the reason why should be as clear as day:
Here is room for everyone, absolutely everyone.
Even those who rant, those who try to solve every problems, those who calm everything down, and here is even room for me.

And not to forget the bunch of marvelous people in here.

Isn't Reaper forum a great place to be!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #61
DarkStar

Quote:
Another big problem is a manual, written very poorly and hard to understand.
Quote:
I have to admit, that manual is excellent. Just worked on AUX sends etc and with help of the manual I was able to connect delays with reverbs and send vocals tracks without any hassles in few minutes.

Excellent job by Geoffrey Francis!
In just over 24 hours
Old 02-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #62
Lawrence

Yeah. Anyway ... it's (the main point behind it all) not exactly rocket science.

Here's a midi EDM demo song print that certainly isn't a gold record , but it's a large enough project already setup with some decent sounds and tracks already laid out for making music and it only uses the synths and FX and loops included with the DAW. A brand new wanna be EDM producer dude could listen to it and study it (study some of the FX chains that help make up some of the sounds) and then just delete all of the midi clips and start working on his own original song 5 minutes later with the same midi tracks and loops, without doing anything else.

Chill Mode

Later on when he gets the 'synth bug' (inevitable) he can start asking his mom to buy him Komplete for $500 for his 17th birthday or whatever. In the meantime he's making decent music and having loads of fun without really doing anything else... while literally not even caring ... that Diva or something may be a great synth with much better sounds, and while not spending any time searching the web or asking people to help him to find stuff just to make music with the brand new thing that he was so excited to install 5 minutes ago.

It's all pretty logical when you view it that way, imo.

This is why Garageband is uber popular, it's a near immediate "musical satisfaction experience" for anyone who just wants to 'open the box' and start making some music. Same with Mixcraft.

None of that actually applies to anyone who's spent the last 5-10 years collecting great synths and samplers and producing original music. You are at stage 2 or 3, they are at stage 1.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:28 AM   #63
msore

Allowing the popular stuff to drive how everything works
will only create more and fluffier homogeneity.

Creative work will always be done outside the popular.
Outside of moneymaking.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #64
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post

What does personal "creative work" have to do with selling DAWs or giving some people what they actually want? These companies make and sell audio workstations, it's the music producers who actually create the music.

More irrelevant to the actual point general philosophy.

Quote:
Outside of moneymaking.
Is there any other more important thing in any business endeavor? No matter what else you do or want to do, you have to do that, or you won't last long.

Anyway, I wasn't "making an argument", only explaining why that can have value... since some seem to imply there's no value there.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #65
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Anyway, I wasn't "making an argument", only explaining why that can have value... since some seem to imply there's no value there.
We must be reading different threads... I see a single reply out more than 60 where it's doubted that a demo song really helps teaching the basics.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #66
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
What does personal "creative work" have to do with selling DAWs or giving some people what they actually want? These companies make and sell audio workstations, it's the music producers who actually create the music.

More irrelevant to the actual point general philosophy.

Is there any other more important thing in any business endeavor? No matter what else you do or want to do, you have to do that, or you won't last long.

YOUR view is philosophy,isn't it? Why do you denegrate the statements of others as philosophy, when your statements are equally full of your philosophical views and assumptions?

When you say, "Is there any other more important thing in any business endeavor?" THAT is your philosophy.

What has "value" is essentially and unavoidably a philosophical question, isn't it? And it does apply to "giving people what they actually want."

In reality, marketplaces are full of disagreements about what to give the customer, about who the customers are, and how to develop good relationships with them. When it comes to music - "creativity" is a factor in all that.

There are LOTS of customers in the music world who - for creative reasons - do not act exactly like customers in other sectors of an economy.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #67
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
We must be reading different threads... I see a single reply out more than 60 where it's doubted that a demo song really helps teaching the basics.
Hey Gofer. I can understand why you see it that way. I was talking more about in general, not just in this thread. These threads (demos, instruments, samples) come up regularly enough and being 8 years in, there's still really none of that stuff because (it would seem to me) few see any value in it.

The forum is full of talented musicians who will spend weeks writing scripts and building toolbars, but apparently nobody sees the value in submitting a completed demo song(s) to Cockos for that purpose. That implies (to me) that very few people any value in doing that.

So yeah, wasn't really making an argument, just kinda stating the obvious, that it still doesn't have any, and maybe offering logical reasons why it might have value.

Thanks Gofer.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #68
Lawrence

Quote:
YOUR view is philosophy,isn't it?
Not really. My view was an explanation of what's happening elsewhere related to all that and why, not a personal philosophy. I don't sell workstations so I have no philosophy to apply to that... I only have a personal opinion about what is already being done by most and why I think they do it.

I don't personally need any of it. What I see others doing is not my personal philosophy, it's just "what they're doing".

Thanks MSore.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #69
msore

what OTHER people say is fuzzy philosophy.
what I say is fact.

yep. junior high school fallacy.

Meanwhile in the real world, companies are constantly making decisions - broad as well as subtle - about what sort of company they are going to be, what kinds of relationships with customers will help that goal, how to balance profit with relationship, how to make the whole thing last by NOT simply going by the junior high version of capitalism.

Running a business requires extreme sensitivity to what is going on - in the market, in the niche you are in, and in the community of users who are loyal to you, and in how your product and company is viewed as distinct from other companies.

That is not simple "fact". That is judgment, based on philosophy.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #70
Lawrence

Quote:
what OTHER people say is fuzzy philosophy.
what I say is fact.

yep. junior high school fallacy.
Why are your panties so often twisted over such really minor things?

It is not philosophy, it is an easily demonstrable fact. The vast majority of workstations provide those things. If that's not a fact, please demonstrate why it's not. Otherwise, you are not speaking to the topic, but spouting random philosophy, yet again.

The only thing potentially not factual about my previous comments was my - personal opinion - of why I think most companies do that. That they actually do it is clearly not in dispute.

Your - unnecessary philosophy - was speaking to the end result of someone using those things, the resulting art, which is clearly irrelevant to the other thing. I guess you do that because you're a "big thinker", no clue. The only point was explaining why I think most companies do that, and they do. Nothing else.

Not everything is that complex. Some things are really simple and clear. You obviously don't do simple, almost everything has to be analyzed down to it's lowest depths.

It's a simple comment to say "Some people want to have - fun - making music as soon as they install software and most companies intentionally allow doing that." There's nothing all that deep about it... unless you've forgotten what "fun" actually is.

If the point of the almost non-stop random philosophy is to prove that you're smarter than me, let's just take a shortcut there, I do stipulate, you're smarter than me. Frankly, lots of people here are.

Last edited by Lawrence; 02-16-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #71
ivansc

msore - you DO realise this isn't the lounge, don't you?

P.S. Whatever DID happen to "Brad Sucks" anyway? Such a toe tapper....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #72
msore

Quote:
msore - you DO realise this isn't the lounge, don't you?
Yes, which makes it even more important that discussion is not reduced to wacked out sophomoric platitudes, but has something to do with the world and the topic.

When talking about business, doesn't it make sense to recognize that different businesses take different methods to reach different audiences? One way does NOT fit all.

Simple? no.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #73
Lawrence

Quote:
...you DO realise this isn't the lounge, don't you?
Nope. It appears that - everything - needs to be presented or repackaged as being bigger than it really is, everything. Nothing can just be isolated and simple, like one very small thing in a much larger business. It always has to be blown up into a much larger context so a higher level of thinking can be demonstrated to the "sophmoric" people.

Jesus, it's just one little isolated thing, a forum discussion about the value (or not?) of optional extras in a music workstation, we're not solving world peace or trying to run Cockos.

Anyway, apologies MSore. You're right.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #74
karbomusic

Quote:
we're not solving world peace or trying to run Cockos.
Isn't Lawrence REALLY saying that IF Cockos' COULD save the world, they would instead sit back on THEIR collective arses enjoying digital audio while the world around them crumbles? What does THIS say about their business model and its effect on corporate capitalist mumbo jumbo while the REST of us try to make a REAL difference and maybe even some music about that difference along the way? What does it really say about the POSSIBLE, most likely CERTAIN regret that occurs to Lawrence because Lawrence made the grave mistake of entering this thread, god forid make sense?

DAWs aren't philosophy, yea right.

^ I could get good at this.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-16-2014 at 02:33 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #75
Lawrence

Lol. . Nah, i was really trying to say that even the greatest minds can relax and have a simple discussion without it always having to encompass the totality of everything.

Joe: It might be of value for Reaper to have Session View.

Plato: Business shouldn't be homogenized, that results in poor art and ruins society and good music in general. It's the downfall of all humanity.

Joe: I don't give a shit. I just want Session View.

That's really all i was getting at, that sometimes simple things are just simple things.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #76
Naji

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollvik View Post
I have to say; I have got more respect and I am full of admiration for those who are running this forum, and the reason why should be as clear as day:
Here is room for everyone, absolutely everyone.
Even those who rant, those who try to solve every problems, those who calm everything down, and here is even room for me.

And not to forget the bunch of marvelous people in here.

Isn't Reaper forum a great place to be!
I ve just listened to your "When we were young" - I enjoyed it - great psychedelic and laid-back mood!
Naji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #77
Archimedes

I've used Pro Tools, Reason, Ableton, FL Studio, and Reaper. At some point about 2 or 3 years ago, I just wanted a DAW - a powerful mixing desk without instruments, without dynamics, effects, and uncomplicated by a bunch of bells and whistles. I got very tired of spending way too much money and getting "locked in" to a particular technical paradigm (Reason for instance, still does not support VSTs and instead has recently introduced a proprietary equivalent (and only recently support MIDI Out), and PT was only RTAS compatible at the time but not VSTs and has since moved on to AAX - argh).

There is only 1 point I agree with from the originator of this thread - a little more advertising (at some level) would be helpful. "Reaper" was mentioned in a Propellerhead forum (which no longer exists - they eliminated the forum) and I decided to check it out. I haven't looked back since then - it was frustrating that the thing I had been looking for existed but I was only able to discover it after many expensive and frustrating false starts. I would join others who encourage Cockos to, at least, introduce this outstanding product a little more broadly just to give some segment of the market knowledge of its existance.

All of the above notwithstanding, I absolutely love Reaper and just can't see myself using anything else as a primary tool. I still use the others in order to be compatible with collaborators and, from time to time, to bounce instrument tracks, but my full-up studio (with plenty of outboard gear from Thermionic Culture, Manley, Lexicon, UA, etc) is Reaper-centric.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #78
mollvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naji View Post
I ve just listened to your "When we were young" - I enjoyed it - great psychedelic and laid-back mood!
Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #79
morgon

Quote:

Outside of moneymaking.
Are we on the subject of the demo song thing? if so though I've not given it much thought, a demo song wouldn't necessarily have to be an a.m pop pos would it? - could be something symphonic for example that needs arranging and mixing, a tutorial that's not just beats but maybe something that includes several chords in a key that can be arranged successfully in a multitude of ways.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #80
sodium

hmm, methinks huberkinky( or whatever his name is) needs to get laid.

Seriously tho', aafter using Steinberg professionally from Pro16 days thru to VST and SX series, I found Reaper a breath of fresh air. Whereas I was constantly fighting with config issues/files in Qbase, Reaper just gets out of the way and helps me rather than hinders.

And personally for myself I made more good music in the first six months of using Reaper than I had in the years previous with Qbase simply because it is such a lean, mean install and a joy to operate.

Just sayin'