Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 05:51 AM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default Feedback for v6.12+dev0708 - "Recording: support automatically creating folders"

The included images show a single record pass (but with 3 "loop arounds" happening in it too) and the resulting folder structure created.

So using the below as my file name format for recorded files
"/$parenttrack/$recpass/$parenttrack_$track_$recpass"
I get the following behaviours (see images too) which if could be corrected then this would be an amazingly tidy and organised way to record big projects.

The reason for wanted to record like this is that it makes it easy to come back to in a few years, easy to navigate for extracting just one take of drums etc and to also manage later on or to give someone to remix in another DAW.

-Parent folder should allow "sub" parent tracks in folder structure as you can see in the image. It would be amazing if "cymbals" were nested under "drums" rather than on the same folder level. This would want to be the same when rendering out using wildcards in the render window and has already been a brickwall in games because it doesn't do this yet. This would then let me deal with recording a whole band like this at once with automatic sorting into various folders for different instruments and passes. And for games, let me render/overwrite directly into various game asset folders without having to ever change the root folder directory after the first time.

-Ideally the recpass wildcard should stay on take 1 and just increment the secondary end number even if the recording is looping as it's still technically only a single recording "pass". At the moment the first recording is considered to be take 1 with take 2 iterating it's number from the second loop onward which is confusing and as you can see in the image, a bit messy regarding folder organisation

-deleting takes fully doesn't reset the recpass wildcard numbering unless the project is unloaded and loaded again. Maybe that's a tricky one to do though..

-clean project directory needs to also check inside sub folders now that we can record into folders

-Absolute paths directly in track names would be very powerful and useful if possible. Like this kind of thing "L:\AUDIO PROJECTS\test delete\audio"
Also, I'm not quite sure where the "_" is coming from on the "Relative_DirectPathTest" naming in the folder? That might be a bug too

I do love being able to put folder structures in the name now though, that's very powerful!

Finally. Is there a way to not have that separation at bar 3 where the loop is? I thought we had a way for the audio item in a single recording pass to all be connected even if it looped and for there to just be empty takes to take care of the area to the left of bar 3 where it's just an initial recording before looping but then it has empty takes to keep it in sync with the looped area?

There might be others but I'll post back if I find anything else. We are very close to having this working and was one of the things I miss coming from another DAW all those years ago

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 07-09-2020 at 05:58 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:10 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

And this is how I was hoping it to look (but imagine I'd actually recorded two separate recorded passes instead of one with three loops in it).

I guess it would be fine too if the cymbals folder were one level higher and before the recpass which is probably how my wildcard settings would make it but both would be good and the key thing is that sub folders are taken into account.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:12 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
not quite sure where the "_" is coming from on the "Relative_DirectPathTest" naming

Code:
                                    ^
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:17 AM   #4
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Code:
                                    ^
Thanks

But that underscore is only at the end of the folder name and not the audio wave file name so that's why it doesn't seem to make sense that it would put it there?

Also, it doesn't do that on the drum recording folders.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

if $track gets expanded to "/test/foldering..." then that underscore in between $parenttrack and $track is just hanging out there.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #6
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
if $track gets expanded to "/test/foldering..." then that underscore in between $parenttrack and $track is just hanging out there.
Yeah. I think I see why now

hmm.. I'm not sure how I would get rid of that for the folder then but keep it for the filename overall.

I'll have a think about that to see if I can get around it.

This path test was more to do with rendering directly to game audio folders than recording so maybe it's something that is not going to be an issue on that side.. I'll try when time later.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:44 AM   #7
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Does this also support \ as folder-separator or just / ?

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #8
musicbynumbers

Not tried both ways to be honest
Old 07-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
musicbynumbers

The below is using dev0710 and the new folder wildcard. It's getting there!

So.. using this

/$recpass/$folders/$parent_$track_$recpass

I get the below folders created when using the same project as the first image above.

This was done by recording and letting it loop round twice but stopping the recording one beat in to the third loop.

1. Be great if all loops when doing a single recording were considered the same "recpass" instead of the first loop being treated as pass 1 and the 2nd loop being treated as pass 2. This gets confusing fast.
The green marked one should be where all recordings go to when looping and the 2nd folder shouldn't be there ideally as this was me pressing record once only.

2. The red marked tiny files are from the cancelled 3rd loop. These files are not included in the arrange page (as a 3rd take) so ideally shouldn't be recorded. This might be a setting I have wrong though? If not, it's confusing to have these tiny cancelled files that aren't in the takes.

3. The additional numbering we get when loop recording could maybe do with a tiny tweak (unless there's some reason for it) as it's confusing. Could it actually skip the "-01" and go straight to "-02" like the below example?
-"Drums_Kick_1"
-"Drums_Kick_1-02"
-"Drums_Kick_1-03"

I find the use of "-01" makes it a bit harder to see the order. Maybe "recpass" could allow you to change the starting number for this with a modification suffix in the the wildcard?

Even better would be if there's a way to sneakily (in the background) rename that first file from "Drums_Kick_1" to "Drums_Kick_1-01" if it detects that it's gone round and looped more than once as that would be much clearer but no worries if that's a nightmare to code!

I'm still working out which folder structure is best overall to make sense of recording lots of takes into big projects with say a whole band doing multiple takes with lots of nested parent folders for things like drums/bass/guitars/vocals etc.

Either putting the recpass first (so all tracks are grouped into takes) or putting the parent track first (so that record passes are contained within each instrument instead.

The problem with that though is that the "folder" wildcard is a bit heavy handed. I'll try and post an image to show what I mean but I'll try using "/" in the Parent track names instead as a way to create folders as that might actually be cleaner overall.

Still testing. and will report back!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 07-10-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #10
musicbynumbers

lol. I love the fact that wildcards like these actually work!

I think i'm getting there now with a super clean folder structure (apart from the small bugs above).

/$recpass/$folders<>><=>/$parent<>><=>_$track<>><=>_$recpass

Don't lock me up! It does make sense honest!

This (the folder wildcard) also works well so far in rendering too Schwa. Thanks!

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 07-10-2020 at 04:57 PM.