Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
maxdembo
Human being with feelings

Default The Zygmont Jazz Trio Quartet Ensemble - The Amstraditional 75

So I did a jam, it was great. Didnt record it. Did another jam, it was great. I hit record. The mixer stopped working after 8 seconds of recording and I didnt notice. I did another jam. It was awful. I remembered to hit record. On playback I found out two channels of the mixer dont work and one channel of drums was gone completely, and the Subharmonicon channel was gone.

I decided to attempt to lean in to the mistakes and attempt to make them sound like a stylistic decision.

Have I accomplished this aim? I dont know, but its not my problem any more.

Onward to the next piece of work!

Soundcloud link - https://soundcloud.com/ear/amstrad

EDIT: Recorded live straight to an external hard drive, via 16 track mixer (now 14 tracks). Imported into Reaper as a 12 minute jam. Edited in Reaper to 4 minutes. Video made in Reaper. All hastily done in less than 48 hours from initial jam to posting on YouTube.

Last edited by maxdembo; 07-29-2020 at 12:06 AM.
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
maxdembo

I do have question for anyone who listens...

Does the track sound like 'real' music or amateur stuff?

yes for real, no for amateur
Old 07-31-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
zeekat

The ol oblique strategy number rand();

Is there a distinction between real and amateur now? It kinda sounds like more sparse version of Orbital when they were doing weird 7/4 stuff or some other things I was watching on late evenings on Viva2 channel couple of decades back, so real, I guess?
Old 07-31-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
The ol oblique strategy number rand();

Is there a distinction between real and amateur now? It kinda sounds like more sparse version of Orbital when they were doing weird 7/4 stuff or some other things I was watching on late evenings on Viva2 channel couple of decades back, so real, I guess?
Ha! To me, yeah I can usually tell when something is by some one who is half arsing it in some way, not putting in the required effort, and thats how I feel I was with that track...

No overdubs, no extra percussion, no changes really in the drums, none of my usual tricks, bells and whistles, and frills. But I just cant tell if it sounded amateur and unfinished, or like it would stand up to any kind of scrutiny, or in a playlist of professionally made and produced music. Does it reach a standard?

My usual goal, or question, is "Would I listen to this if I bought it? Would I be happy with this as a track on an album I've purchased?"

I just cant tell with this track tho!

So, reply appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
zeekat

Nobody seems to even know if their work sounds finished, judging by the length of that thread about finishing mixes which I intend to avoid reading.

IMO key element to feel like you've done something professional is packaging. Painstakingly select the tracks for the album playlist, make cover graphics, do the band mythos ("we met at an illegal festival in Southern Bulgaria in '87"). I did like two times and felt pro for a good 5 minutes. Will create a bandcamp some day and prolong the professional bliss for couple extra minutes.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
maxdembo

Its normally not something I have a problem with, as there is a finished version in my head that I'm just trying to match.

This track tho, it happened kinda by accident over a 48hr period and had so little effort go into it, finished before a version could appear in my head, that I just couldnt tell if it was amateur shit or comparable with music I'd buy from an artist I like with actual skills and experience

I think it sounds like the latter but I dont wanna fool myself via ego
Old 08-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
Its normally not something I have a problem with, as there is a finished version in my head that I'm just trying to match.
Heh, I envy that.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Heh, I envy that.
Its just a shame that once that track appears in my head, all enthusiasm to make it real kinda disappears as I can already hear the damn thing

Stupid brain
Old 08-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #9
maxdembo

...Which is why Im trying to shorten the gap between coming up with a track and throwing it out as finished.

Having just bought a Subharmonicon, and having found I can play the fucking thing really quite easily, has really changed things.

Hopefully, the track I posted in this thread is the first of many.

Im mentally flying blind with such a short turnaround tho, 48hrs from jam to video premiere