Old 03-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #1
aselix
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 11
Default Daw controller for reaper

Looking for one that is easy to setup and just works well with Reaper. I know there are a lot out there, just want one that doesn't give you headaches.

Thanks
aselix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 PM   #2
woogish
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 424
Default

buy a lot of aspirin...... as far as I know, Reaper doesn't easily do two way controller communication.
Love to find out I'm wrong
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 17,894
Default

woogish: FFS, man! Can`t you post anything that doesn`t come across as negative?
Take a deep breath and SMILE before you post.

OP: Jeff Waddington is working on a massive projectr (nearing beta) to bring really grown up control surface support to reaper. Check his thread out. FWIW I have used Behringer 2000 controllers and still use multiple Korg Nanokontrols, which a truly excellent and require very little knowledge, since (as with many other controllers) there are already threads on here that guide you through step by step.
The icon series are pretty popular but more expensive.
This forum is a great resource for help on this.
__________________
We are in a rudderless ship with a fool at the wheel who doesnt even realise it ain`t working any more
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:43 AM   #4
kero
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: London
Posts: 544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselix View Post
Looking for one that is easy to setup and just works well with Reaper. I know there are a lot out there, just want one that doesn't give you headaches.

Thanks
I believe Softube Console 1 is easy to set up and has Reaper DAW control now.
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #5
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselix View Post
Looking for one that is easy to setup and just works well with Reaper. I know there are a lot out there, just want one that doesn't give you headaches.
Independent from the DAW, it depends how you want to use it. There are different controllers for different purpose, with different hardware control types, form factors and layout. So:
1) do you want control the DAW, FXes or SoftSynth (or hardware synth)?
2) do you think about small or big, with MIDI keys or separate controller?
3) price range.
If you can answer on that questions and describe what you plan to do in more details, you can get much better advise as general.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,141
Default

I understand that a free CSI (Controller Surface Integration) Reaper plugin is in the late test phase before public release. It looks very versatile and promising. See the appropriate thread here. -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:30 PM   #7
woogish
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 424
Default

Well, let me ask this:

I'd like to control JUST the volume and pan controls in reaper from a BCR2000, and have the BCR respond to on screen movement of same - that's all. Simple. Possible in Reaper without all sorts of hoops being jumped thru?

In Logic, I had a custom environment that would allow control of two separate sets of 16 channels each- no bank switching, etc. With feedback. Possible in Reaper without all sorts of hoops being jumped thru?

Be lovely if that would work.
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,141
Default

What is "simple" ? (In fact "simple" fer each person is exactly that what he personally is up to at exactly this moment .)

I suppose in the end you will need to install the "CSI" plugin and the "BCF1000" configuration file(s).
Seems easy enough...

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #9
peter5992
Human being with feelings
 
peter5992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 8,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aselix View Post
Looking for one that is easy to setup and just works well with Reaper. I know there are a lot out there, just want one that doesn't give you headaches.

Thanks
Icon QCon Pro works great out of the box with Reaper. Choose the Reaper preset and you're good to go. Brushed aluminium, motorized faders, and expandable with two more 8 faders satellites if you have enough desk space.











peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #10
woogish
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 424
Default

Taking a deep breath and SMILING before I post....
I'll stand by my first reply..................
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
I'd like to control JUST the volume and pan controls in reaper from a BCR2000, and have the BCR respond to on screen movement of same - that's all. Simple. Possible in Reaper without all sorts of hoops being jumped thru?

In Logic, I had a custom environment that would allow control of two separate sets of 16 channels each- no bank switching, etc. With feedback. Possible in Reaper without all sorts of hoops being jumped thru?
BCR2000 is DIY controller. It was not thought as "plug and play" with any DAW. As you write, in Logic you had "custom environment".
So:
Possible ? Yes.
Without all sorts of hoops? No
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
woogish
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 424
Default

azslow3-
Thank you!
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:13 AM   #13
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 17,894
Default

All I can say is I must just be lucky. I checked back (years!) to when I got my first controller - a BCF - and that I had working pretty much straight away with little or no hassle. The Korg Nanos that I switched to, not so much, but within about a month of them being released two people on here had written custom installs to save you having to use the Korg editor and set up your own. Still using my 2 Nanokontrols with zero issues.

And of course for anything else HUI based there is klinke`s long-running opus, again ridiculously easy to use.

But like Peter said, manufacturers are beginning to take reaper more seriously, so Icon is beginning to look like a very nice place to start. If I didnt already have a working system, that is where my money would be heading.
__________________
We are in a rudderless ship with a fool at the wheel who doesnt even realise it ain`t working any more
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:36 AM   #14
sickamorz
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Philippines
Posts: 704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
buy a lot of aspirin...... as far as I know, Reaper doesn't easily do two way controller communication.
Love to find out I'm wrong
I have had a cheap Behringer, a tascam 8x16 and Behringer U-Phoria 4x4 they all worked with reaper, most of the table top interfaces are not pro quality gear. But are more than acceptable for 90% of the reaper users.
__________________
Just say what you think, if some one doesn't like it that's their problem.

Windows, launch control XL, midi keyboard, speakers and U-Phoria 4x4.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #15
Doc Brown
Human being with feelings
 
Doc Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,603
Default

I tried to assign faders on my akai mpk88 to faders in reaper and everything works as planned. The problem arose with my cc assignments on synths and plug-ins. I have Reaper set to only control the focused screen for my knob and fader assignments which works fine.

The problem was when I was moving a knob or fader on an effect or synth when a cc or fader was the same as a fader that was assigned to a channel strip the channel strip would move also. That is obviously not going to work for me. I tried to find a setting to defeat Reapers channel faders from control if a plugin is in focus but no such luck. Reaper automatically assigns cc numbers via the midi learn function and there is bound to be common cc conflicts with vsti mapping and channel mapping. No bueno.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #16
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
The problem was when I was moving a knob or fader on an effect or synth when a cc or fader was the same as a fader that was assigned to a channel strip the channel strip would move also. That is obviously not going to work for me. I tried to find a setting to defeat Reapers channel faders from control if a plugin is in focus but no such luck. Reaper automatically assigns cc numbers via the midi learn function and there is bound to be common cc conflicts with vsti mapping and channel mapping. No bueno.
The topic comes and goes for years... I call it "MIDI Leaks", and I call it A BUG. But Reaper gurus reply "it is not".

I have joined the community just 3 month in the past. But when I have asked "what is a single use case for that "feature", if that is not a bug?" I have got no answer.

I am familiar with the problem, Sonar has it as well, even in worse variation (and also regret to call it "a bug"), but with possible workaround.

But I am a programmer... and I am in progress of writing possible workaround. If it works, that will eliminate the problem. If it does not work, I will seriously start begging for the way which works. The feature required can open a way to support many controllers on the market (MIDI keyboards + controller which have no separate logical MIDI ports), which current hit by this "bug".


BUT. There are several workarounds which work now, and the best one can work for you: many MPK (and MPD) support configurable 2 ports assignment. So Reaper see 2 distinct "devices". In Reaper preferences:
* set the first one to "enable input"
* set the second one to "enable input for control messages" (without "enable input", so control only)

Then assign keys and all knobs/faders you want to use with plug-ins to the first one ("A" in Akai notation) and knobs/faders/transport you want to use with Reaper to the second one ("B" in Akai notation). So first controls with stear plug-ins ONLY (you can not assign them, even when they overlap), the second will control Reaper ONLY (and will not be sent to FXes/Synth).
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #17
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 22,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
BUT. There are several workarounds which work now, and the best one can work for you: many MPK (and MPD) support configurable 2 ports assignment. So Reaper see 2 distinct "devices". In Reaper preferences:
* set the first one to "enable input"
* set the second one to "enable input for control messages" (without "enable input", so control only)

Then assign keys and all knobs/faders you want to use with plug-ins to the first one ("A" in Akai notation) and knobs/faders/transport you want to use with Reaper to the second one ("B" in Akai notation). So first controls with stear plug-ins ONLY (you can not assign them, even when they overlap), the second will control Reaper ONLY (and will not be sent to FXes/Synth).
This is not a workaround, and what you're talking about is not a bug, we've been through this. This is how it is supposed to work. If you want to control Reaper's track parameters (volume, pan, sends, whatever) or run actions via MIDI commands, you better not be sending those MIDI commands from a controller that is also enabled as an input for recording MIDI on the track (which, by extension, WILL control any MIDI learned parameters in the virtual instruments as well). It's pure logic. If you want DAW control, only have "Enable for control input". If you want instrument control, only have "Enable for input". That's how it would be set up for any other DAW controller that uses MCU, HUI, OSC, or whatever else. Control input only.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #18
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Reaper automatically assigns cc numbers via the midi learn function and there is bound to be common cc conflicts with vsti mapping and channel mapping. No bueno.
The Midi messages used for "Learn" are taken from the Reaper Control Path, while the Midi messages sent to VSTs are taken from the Track's FX Chain. So there can't be a conflict, unless you explicitly route the Midi stream to both (to the Track by assigning the channel Midi in to the Midi device, and to the Control Path by checking the "control" box in the Midi device's configuration). If you don't do the Midi routing decently, there will be "leaks" .

In fact, if you want to use a single controller to both be seen in tracks, as in the Reaper Control Path, in a complex environment you maybe need to filter or modify the Midi messages (e.g. by JSFXes), route the Midi streams between tracks (by standard Reaper means) and route the filtered and modified Midi messages to the Reaper Control Path to be "learned" by "MidiToReaControlPath. IMHO this is rather straight forward.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 03-16-2018 at 08:24 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #19
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This is not a workaround, and what you're talking about is not a bug, we've been through this.
I am not "through this". For years. With the second DAW already...
I have made an acceptable solution for the fist, I will try to make for the second.

Quote:
This is how it is supposed to work. If you want to control Reaper's track parameters (volume, pan, sends, whatever) or run actions via MIDI commands, you better not be sending those MIDI commands from a controller that is also enabled as an input for recording MIDI on the track (which, by extension, WILL control any MIDI learned parameters in the virtual instruments as well). It's pure logic. If you want DAW control, only have "Enable for control input". If you want instrument control, only have "Enable for input".
And there is the third option, when BOTH are enabled. And this (and only this) option is buggy.

Quote:
That's how it would be set up for any other DAW controller that uses MCU, HUI, OSC, or whatever else. Control input only.
Sure. The problem is with a different set of devices, which have keyboard/pads and controls but use THE SAME device to send the signal from both.
That set of devices include old controls (f.e. M-Audio) and some simple still actual controllers (f.e. MPK-Mini). The same spirit has f.e. Ableton Push.

---

I have asked you already in another thread: can you describe any single example when MIDI message assigned to some Reaper operation and at the same time routed to track/softsynth can be useful behavior?
If you can, I can agree that is the way things "supposed to work".
Without such example, it is not "pure logic". And what is not logical is a (logical) bug...
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #20
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Croatia
Posts: 22,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
And there is the third option, when BOTH are enabled. And this (and only this) option is buggy.
It's not buggy, it does what you told it to do. It sends the messages both to the tracks and Reaper actions, and the plugin and MIDI input.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #21
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
In fact, if you want to use a single controller to both be seen in tracks, as in the Reaper Control Path, in a complex environment you maybe need to filter or modify the Midi messages (e.g. by JSFXes), route the Midi streams between tracks (by standard Reaper means) and route the filtered and modified Midi messages to the Reaper Control Path to be "learned" by "MidiToReaControlPath. IMHO this is rather straight forward.
-Michael
Having always armed + no record track with FX to "route" controller signal correctly, just because existing option produce "MIDI leaks" when enabled with another option, is hard to call "straight forward" approach. That is why I call it a workaround.

But as I wrote, I need full control on incoming MIDI signal (filter/modify) in any case, for general Control Surface extension (sorry, I am not a big fun of external MIDI loopers and other daemons). So if the functionality is not yet there, I will start to bump my unanswered question in the developers board...
At the moment I see yet another way to try. May be it will work and then the problem is solved.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #22
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It's not buggy, it does what you told it to do. It sends the messages both to the tracks and Reaper actions, and the plugin and MIDI input.
I told that I want to use the device for controlling and as MIDI input. There is no any option to tell HOW it should work. Current behavior requires a workaround: putting InputFX in every MIDI track which can be recorded.
Sorry, I repeat the question: when current behavior can be desired?
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #23
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
And there is the third option, when BOTH are enabled. And this (and only this) option is buggy.
It's not buggy, as it works exactly as it obviously is expected to-.

But routing the same "native" Midi stream as well to a channel's FX chain as to the Reaper Control Path does ask for confusion and (IMHO) should be avoided (unless in very simple projects).

That is why I never enable the "control" checkbox, but always use a Midi input track to start the Reaper-internal Midi processing in.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 03-17-2018 at 02:35 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #24
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
There is no any option to tell HOW it should work.
As I told you some messages above, the option (for complex projects) is MidiToReaCopntrolPath. So there is an option, but the problem might be the documentation

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 03-16-2018 at 11:01 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #25
db9091
Human being with feelings
 
db9091's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 102
Default

I'm kind of frustrated, too, as a Mac user.

I've had the Behringer X-Touch, but the lack of calibration in Reaper or X-Touch left the faders 5dB off which didn't happen in Pro Tools X or Studio One 3. That's just unacceptable that Reaper can't do what other DAWs do with external control compatibility.

This is 2018 and there's no decent compatible controller for Reaper running on a Mac?!?

I'm looking for motorized fader control, and if it can also be setup to control FX for automation recording on a particular track (i.e. control one of the envelopes) ?

TIA if anyone has experience or answers on this, but I've lost money trying various gear to no real success. Wish there was a Kinke for mac..
db9091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #26
bourzia
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16
Default

There is a setting in Reaper to set the max gain level to 10db to match the X-touch faders. Presfrences>Appearance>Track Control Pannels. at the bottom adjust the Volume Fader Range to +10 instead of +12.
bourzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #27
Doc Brown
Human being with feelings
 
Doc Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
The topic comes and goes for years... I call it "MIDI Leaks", and I call it A BUG. But Reaper gurus reply "it is not".

I have joined the community just 3 month in the past. But when I have asked "what is a single use case for that "feature", if that is not a bug?" I have got no answer.

I am familiar with the problem, Sonar has it as well, even in worse variation (and also regret to call it "a bug"), but with possible workaround.

But I am a programmer... and I am in progress of writing possible workaround. If it works, that will eliminate the problem. If it does not work, I will seriously start begging for the way which works. The feature required can open a way to support many controllers on the market (MIDI keyboards + controller which have no separate logical MIDI ports), which current hit by this "bug".


BUT. There are several workarounds which work now, and the best one can work for you: many MPK (and MPD) support configurable 2 ports assignment. So Reaper see 2 distinct "devices". In Reaper preferences:
* set the first one to "enable input"
* set the second one to "enable input for control messages" (without "enable input", so control only)

Then assign keys and all knobs/faders you want to use with plug-ins to the first one ("A" in Akai notation) and knobs/faders/transport you want to use with Reaper to the second one ("B" in Akai notation). So first controls with stear plug-ins ONLY (you can not assign them, even when they overlap), the second will control Reaper ONLY (and will not be sent to FXes/Synth).

I guess this is more complicated than I thought or rather simpler depending on perspective. For now I just don't assign faders to anything on my controller and just mouse it. I'm not adjusting the channel strips all the time anyway. I'm curios to see what you're working on when its ready. Thanks
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #28
Doc Brown
Human being with feelings
 
Doc Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
The Midi messages used for "Learn" are taken from the Reaper Control Path, while the Midi messages sent to VSTs are taken from the Track's FX Chain. So there can't be a conflict, unless you explicitly route the Midi stream to both (to the Track by assigning the channel Midi in to the Midi device, and to the Control Path by checking the "control" box in the Midi device's configuration). If you don't do the Midi routing decently, there will be "leaks" .

In fact, if you want to use a single controller to both be seen in tracks, as in the Reaper Control Path, in a complex environment you maybe need to filter or modify the Midi messages (e.g. by JSFXes), route the Midi streams between tracks (by standard Reaper means) and route the filtered and modified Midi messages to the Reaper Control Path to be "learned" by "MidiToReaControlPath. IMHO this is rather straight forward.

-Michael
Thanks for the explanation Michael. I'm not a power user per say but if I mixed and mastered for a living I would definitely try and get it sorted.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #29
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9091 View Post
there's no decent compatible controller for Reaper running on a Mac?!?
(I have close to no idea about Mac: ) Is CSI not available for Mac ?

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:29 AM   #30
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
I guess this is more complicated than I thought or rather simpler depending on perspective. For now I just don't assign faders to anything on my controller and just mouse it. I'm not adjusting the channel strips all the time anyway. I'm curios to see what you're working on when its ready. Thanks
Sorry if that sounds complicated, for MPK88 case it is not.

MPK88 is compatible with described by EvilDragon Reaper way to use controllers:
1) first input -> MIDI recording and synth control (only)
2) second input -> Reaper control (only)

Then you switch knobs/faders/buttons on AKAI to send throw "A" or "B" (on the device itself, see the documentation).

Then you use (1/A) to play and MIDI learn synth and assign (2/B) to Reaper actions. And everything will work without leaking from one to another.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:02 AM   #31
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
It's not buggy, as it works exactly as it obviously is expected to-.

But routing the same "native" Midi stream as well to a channel's FX chain as to the Reaper Control does ask for confusion and (IMHO) should be avoided (unless in very simple projects).
I have used/tested Sonar, Waveform and Ableton. And in all 3 as soon as you assign particular knob for controlling, its MIDI signal is filtered out (except Sonar "Remote control", which has the same bug as Reaper... but they have ACT with which it works properly). I guess if I try Cubase, S1 and Samplitude, they also will block.

If everywhere something works one convenient way and in one program it works different, strange way and should be avoided...
That is hard to call "obviously expected" behavior
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:32 AM   #32
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
as soon as you assign particular knob for controlling, its MIDI signal is filtered out
IMHO very happily, Reaper does not do hidden "stuff" automatically, but lets us see what actually happens and configure what actually is supposed to happen.

Nonetheless, admittedly the existence and the documentation of the "Reaper Control Path" as a dedicated Midi Stream for controlling functions of the DAW itself by Midi messages, is (while being perfectly straight forward) not as obvious and "usable" as it should.

In Fact I would like o see:

- A (hardware) Midi Input device can only be configured to be routed to the tracks or the Reaper Control Path, but not to both at the same time.
- There would be an always present Midi output device "Reaper Control Path" that any Midi stream can be routed to using the normal Reaper Midi routing resources.
- In all menus that say "learn midi message" the notation would be "learn midi message from the Control Path", as this is what is done (while e.g. in the "Parameter Modulation" menus for FXes, there - besides "learn" - you can in a more complex way use Midi Messages, and these messages are taken from the appropriate FX chain the plugin resides in.

By this, such confusion would be avoided, and the MidiToReaControlPath plugin would not be necessary to be used.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 03-17-2018 at 03:05 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:54 AM   #33
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
IMHO very happily, Reaper does not do hidden "stuff" automatically, but lets us see what actually happens and configure what actually is supposed to happen.
Nothing "hidden".
* You instruct the DAW that some message is control message.
* All other DAWs (logically?) say "if this message is control message, it is no longer normal MIDI message" and filter it out
* Reaper say "I know that make no sense, but you have ask for it... you will control track volume and synth cut frequency simultaneously by the same knob".

Quote:
Nonetheless, admittedly the existence and the documentation of the "Reaper Control Path" as a dedicated Midi Stream for controlling functions of the DAW itself by Midi messages, is (while being perfectly straight forward) not as obvious and "usable" as it should.
"Reaper control Path" is a prove developers have recognized that "MIDI" is not always MIDI. There is MIDI to be used for instruments/effects and there is MIDI to be used for DAW controlling. They have introduced 2 separate options, so the user can say what particular MIDI device should do (since MIDI messages are the same).
If you ask me, they simply "forgotten" to filter out messages when both options are set for the same device.

I see that in Reaper many controller related things are left "at the middle of the road". F.e. look at csurf API.
Nothing is wrong with that. Our time is limited and developers have considered other task have hight priority.
But that is not the reason to claim "everything is perfect and so works as it should (even when how it works make no sense)"

Quote:
In Fact I would like o see:

- A (hardware) Midi Input device can only be configured to be routed to the tracks or the Reaper Control Path, but not to both at the same time.
I have mentioned several times, MANY controllers expose just one device to the DAW, but have performance AND DAW controlling sections.

Quote:
- There would be an always present Midi output device "Reaper Control Path" that any Midi stream can be routed to using the normal Reaper Midi routing resources.
I guess that comes from MidiToReaControlPath. See later.

Quote:
- In all menus that say "learn midi message" the notation would be "learn midi message from the Control Path", as this is what is done (while e.g. in the "Parameter Modulation" menus for FXes, there - besides "learn" - you can in a more complex way use Midi Messages, and these messages are taken from the appropriate FX chain the plugin resides in.

By this, such confusion would be avoided, and the MidiToReaControlPath plugin would not be necessary to be used.
-Michael
There are distinct terms:
* DAW parameters. In general with arbitrary numerical value ranges or value sets.
* VST plug-ins automation parameters. Always 0. ... 1. But with arbitrary internal interpretation.
* MIDI as in "MIDI Item", so the project "content". With 2 use cases (see later)

MIDI, as a protocol, can be used as:
1) for steering DAW and VST automation parameters.
2) for steering in-plug-in settings (f.e. switch presets)
3) as a performance stream.

There can be a lot of confusion with that:
I) VST parameter can be "a setting" or "performance part".
Technically they are equal, but logically not. F.e. MIDI Control plug-in in reaper has "settings" for Bank+Patch. Technically they are just MIDI messages in the stream, even more, sometimes it is desired to have them in the stream as a part of performance. But sometimes it is desired to have them as "settings".

II) VST parameter can be controlled throw automation and/or throw MIDI learn (and/or by mouse, sometimes mouse only). It is important to understand that controlling path is significantly different, as the written result:
a) MIDI->OSC->Reaper, MIDI->Reaper, OSC->Reaper, Mouse->Reaper: all of them are EQUIVALENT when we speak about controlling parameters throw automation. Automation is the only result. Even in case MIDI is involved, it is just a not persistent "carrier"
b) MIDI->VST. It is processed differently from (a). And in this case MIDI is the result, which sometimes desired to be persistent and sometimes not.

Please note that (a) and (b) have different approaches in respect to (I). (a) can be be setup as "setting" or "performance", you can just control parameter as a "setting" or write an automation as a part of "performance", and so you can adjust the "setting" during "performace" without writing is as a part of it. (b) has no such native separation. 2 separate tracks required, one with "monitor only", and both with corresponding filters to organize changing "settings" during recording "performance".


MidiToReaControlPath allows connect these two, partially already complicated "worlds". That can be extremely useful and creative when used correctly. But it is also easy to produce hard to understand mess.

That plug-in can also be used live to avoid "MIDI leaks" and control parameters on per-track basis, with configurable "re-mapping" (f.e. in JSFX before this one in the chain).
The first is a workaround for a bug, the second is a workaround for a luck of easily configurable controller behavior (with filtering, switching, mapping and arbitrary logic).
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #34
EpicSounds
Human being with feelings
 
EpicSounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,099
Default

funny how you all made this thread about your own problems. Scared off the OP. :lol:
__________________
REAPER Video Tutorials, Tips & Tricks and more at The REAPER Blog
EpicSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #35
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,141
Default

@azslow3:

Seemingly you want the confusion, instead of simply accepting the Control Path as a dedicated stream of Midi Messages, as strongly suggested by the FX parameter modulation for the same parameter being possible by either

a Midi CC message (value 0..127 or high resolution CC 0 .. 16383) in the FX chain of the appropriate track
"Param" -> "FX Parameter List" -> "Parameter Modulation / Midi Link " -> Parameter name -> "Link from Midi or Fx Parameter" -> "Midi" -< "CC" -> ...

, or

a Midi CC Message (value 0..127, I don't know about high respiration here) in the Control Path :
"Param" -> "FX Parameter List" -> "Learn" -> parameter name -> wait for appropriate message.

I am not discussing whether or not this is desirable, but this is how Reaper works deeply within, and we very likely need to accept this design decision for good.

Other DAWs that (IMHO rather unintuitive) provide dedicated Midi and dedicated Audio tracks instead of Reaper's "combined" Track design, very likely are driven by a completely different concept and design decisions.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 03-17-2018 at 11:42 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #36
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
funny how you all made this thread about your own problems. Scared off the OP. :lol:
What "problems" ? it's just about understanding the basics, which primarily is not about "solving a problem" but about finding out the definitions the program creators built up in the software (and in this case seemingly is not written down anywhere).

It's hard to find a solution for a problem with a seemingly not obvious reason without getting down to the basics.

Maybe the "Reaper Control Path" is worth a Reaper Blog Video

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 03-17-2018 at 03:23 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #37
woogish
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 424
Default

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.
says I after trying to wade thru all this.....

I STILL stand by my first reply
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #38
EpicSounds
Human being with feelings
 
EpicSounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
What "problems" ?
No one even asked what features he was interested in for a controller.


I'm very happy with my BCF2000 in Mackie Extender mode for moving faders, and I'm very happy with my Novation Nocturn for triggering actions, setting send levels and plugin control.

With the nocturn I don't use the "automap' plugin wrapping, just reaper's actions linked to MIDI ccs.

I could live without the BCF2000, it has noisy faders. I rarely write automation with it. On the other hand, I'd also really like to have a second one for 16 tracks.

I keep finding new ways to use the nocturn. It's damn convenient to have in front of me at all times. It's big but there's not a lot out there with flexible software and endless rotary encoders. If I had a spare I'd cut off the keyboard so it's just the knobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Maybe the "Reaper Control Path" is worth a Reaper Blog Video
Got videos on all my stuff already.
__________________
REAPER Video Tutorials, Tips & Tricks and more at The REAPER Blog
EpicSounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:51 PM   #39
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
I STILL stand by my first reply
This one ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
as far as I know, Reaper doesn't easily do two way controller communication.
Nobody contradicted. Hopefully CSI (-> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143) some day soon will provide easy and versatile bidirectional controller board integration: Install the plugin and the configuration file(s) for your controller and you are done (if you are happy with the way the creator of that configuration files designed the details of the integration of same) .

If for your controller not yet such a readily prepared configuration is available, you would need to do it yourself or find somebody who does it for you (hence not "easy" -> Aspirin).

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 03-17-2018 at 11:58 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:27 AM   #40
azslow3
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.
says I after trying to wade thru all this.....

I STILL stand by my first reply
I understand that you would like to get one from two answers: "you are right, that is not possible" or "hey, BCR2000 is a perfect controller for Reaper, download the installer from YYY".

But unfortunately the truth is in between. Bi-directional controller communications are possible in Reaper, using 2 ways:
* csurf extensions.
- "Plug&play" solution could be a specialized BCR2000 csurf extension. But no one has written such (I wonder why, the controller is popular).
- Universal CSI extension is in development and has a good progress.
- Yet another universal extension is in planning phase, but I do not think it will be published this year

csurf extensions are written by somehow skilled C++ programmers and they take a lot of time to develop, so they appear not so often.

* OSCII-bot. Search for it and BCR-2000 and you will find many threads. It is Reaper <-> OSC <-> OSCII-bot <-> BCR2000 schema.

OSCII-bot configurations are easy to write for anyone with at least basic programming skills. But it can be a show stopper without such background.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.