Old 04-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
AudioWonderland
Human being with feelings

Default Reamp with only two outputs?

Is it possible to re-amp guitars if you only have two outputs on the sound card? Would I need to create a mono master out to free up a send?
AudioWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
Is it possible to re-amp guitars if you only have two outputs on the sound card? Would I need to create a mono master out to free up a send?
Possible. But, not very practical.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
EpicSounds

I talk about it in this Q&A video, question 4

https://reaperblog.net/2015/09/reaper-blog-qa-7/
Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
AudioWonderland

Can you use a second interface on the daw for playback while the primary records?

Can you just have a secondary card to switch to for reamping if you just use one at a time?

I have not looked at this in many years. Does ASIO still lock you in to one device at a time?

I route the 2 outputs from the DAW to effects return of a Mackie 1402 and use the control room outs to feed control room monitors. I also use the "main" outs of the mixer to send a stereo feed to the live room to feed a headphone amp. I should be able to solo the track I want to reamp and use the headphone feeds to drive the reamp box. There is potential for feedback here so I would need to turn the monitoring off on the record enabled tracks potentially?

Last edited by AudioWonderland; 09-25-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
woogish

i don't see this...........................
woogish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
Lokasenna

ASIO4ALL will let you use multiple interfaces, but it doesn't always work and/or gets crackly. Certainly worth a try.

Disabling Reaper's Master output and borrowing one of those to reamp is definitely an option that many of us have used at least once.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:10 AM   #7
AudioWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
i don't see this...........................
Don't see what?
Old 09-27-2018, 05:16 AM   #8
AudioWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
ASIO4ALL will let you use multiple interfaces, but it doesn't always work and/or gets crackly. Certainly worth a try.

Disabling Reaper's Master output and borrowing one of those to reamp is definitely an option that many of us have used at least once.
How do you do that exactly? Just remove the send from the master and assign them to tracks you want to reamp?

I was thinking I could use the headphone out from the RME to feed the control room monitors to hear what was going on but I think removing the output assignment to the master probably would break that. I would at least hear the track I was re-amping.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:21 AM   #9
Lokasenna

It's been a while and this is just from memory, but...

- Turn the Master fader all the way down.

- On the track you want to reamp, add a hardware output (in the Routing window) for Main Output: Left or whatever.

- Unplug your left monitor cable from the interface.

- Replace it with a cable running to the amp or direct box or whatever you're using.

- Set up the "return" track and arm it.

- For the love of God, make sure you have all monitoring turned off so you don't create a feedback loop through the amp.

If you press Play, you should now have signal going out to the amp and coming back into Reaper.

- Record the reamped signal.

- Put the left monitor's cable back.

- Remove/disable the hardware output you added.

- Bring the Master fader back up.

Something like that.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
bobobo

Quote:
Don't see what?
don't feed the forum's parrot
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #11
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
- For the love of God, make sure you have all monitoring turned off so you don't create a feedback loop through the amp.
This includes any direct monitoring "features" on the interface or in its software.

The easiest way to do this is to pan the guitar track to one side and everything else to the other. You could actually even monitor the "return" track as long as it's panned with the rest of the mix. You can mess with extra hardware sends and whatever, but it's actually just as easy as panning in this case.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
AudioWonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
This includes any direct monitoring "features" on the interface or in its software.

The easiest way to do this is to pan the guitar track to one side and everything else to the other. You could actually even monitor the "return" track as long as it's panned with the rest of the mix. You can mess with extra hardware sends and whatever, but it's actually just as easy as panning in this case.
The direct montiroring of the RME would need to be addressed.

For the purposes of re-amping, I am not sure I would even NEED to hear the other tracks although it would be convenient.
I think I could just change the master from the L/R default to just use the right output and assign the track to be reamped out the left. The other tracks by default are assigned to master and would use whats assigned there by default.

Alternatively, I could just export the tracks, dump them on my laptop and use that to play them back through the reamp box and capture by the DAW. It should be easy enough to line up the reamped tracks with the original
Old 09-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Alternatively, I could just export the tracks, dump them on my laptop and use that to play them back through the reamp box and capture by the DAW. It should be easy enough to line up the reamped tracks with the original
Don't do that. There is no good reason the two clocks will agree. You will have pitch and timing issues unless you get very lucky. They may not be big differences, but any is too much when all you really need to do is pan things. You only have 2 outputs. You "assign" tracks to either with the pan knob. If you wanna be super lazy just solo the guitar track. Now it's all by itself on one or both sides. Pick one, plug it into the amp, hit record.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
Philbo King

Clock matching doesn't matter when playing back analog, and recording analog back in.
Philbo King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #15
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Clock matching doesn't matter when playing back analog, and recording analog back in.
The fuck it doesn't! When one plays back faster than the other, it ain't gonna line up without changing playrate. That will always be a guessing game, and you'll only get it close by accident. Considering that there is NO good reason to do any of it...

Edit - It is true that you don't have to worry about syncing clocks to avoid the weird distortion and dropouts that you might get with a digital connection, but that's not at all what I'm talking about.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #16
woogish

i take it all back
woogish is online now   Reply With Quote