Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Default PC amp sims that sounds as good as a sketchy solid state combo

Sounding good is common and boring, somebody made a VST version of a crappy solid state combo (Fender frontman 25) and I support this move:

http://www.soft-amp.com/softamp-fm25

Helps with achieving the sound of the 90s garage band. And metal zone VST in front of it for extra flavor:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/met..._mokafix_audio

Anyone knows more digital models of equipment with questionable reputation?
Old 09-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
Nizhny Tagil

This is the silliest thread ever, so I just had to chime in.

The revered Simulanalog Guitar Suite has a Marshall JCM 900 simulation, which I understand was never quite as popular as its older brother, the JCM 800.

Also, Studio Devil's Virtual Guitar Amp suite has a simulation of the high-gain tone of a Marshall JMP-1, which, being itself a simulator from the '90s, I think hasn't remained as reputable as it was when Kirk Hammett used it at the time.

Last edited by Nizhny Tagil; 10-04-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
Lokasenna

Extremist is the greatest, sketchiest amp sim ever made.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:47 AM   #4
zeekat

Oh crap, my thread was quickly pushed out the first page, so I assumed no one answered. Extremist sounds really sketch! Great underground (cellar) sound, will sound kvlt with some small cab sim.

Not sure about the unfashionable Marshall sims - I actually like to un-ironically use the JM Pre model from POD farm, which is modelled after the mentioned JMP1. It's a nice high gain amp with less edge than the more modern ones. But I might have emarassingly outdated taste after all.

I have a plan to try to simulate the sound of a broke 90s local band - looks like the amps are already covered, I also found a Casio HT rompler VST which should fit too. No idea about the bass, direct recording is probably my best bet. I also found a sampled shitty 80s Polmuz drumkit on freesound (without most cymbals unfortunately), but my shortcircuit drumkit generator doesn't work anymore for some reason
Old 11-04-2018, 05:26 AM   #5
domzy

if you need any outboard there's some retro stuff here:-

http://www.longsound.de/html/en_vstfx.html
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
Nizhny Tagil

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
I have a plan to try to simulate the sound of a broke 90s local band - looks like the amps are already covered, I also found a Casio HT rompler VST which should fit too. No idea about the bass, direct recording is probably my best bet. I also found a sampled shitty 80s Polmuz drumkit on freesound (without most cymbals unfortunately), but my shortcircuit drumkit generator doesn't work anymore for some reason
Sounds cool! Actually I think most of my stuff ends up sounding like that unintentionally, so I support your project.
Remember not to change the strings .

Do you mean Shortcircuit the software sampler? Because Reaper's own sampler works pretty well for drums (with some caveats).
Old 11-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
viscofisy

I refer the honourable members to my post from a fortnight ago -

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
All the valve jobs are colouring the electricity.

Nothing captures the flat-sterile-void of electrical reality quite like solid state.
_
But why bother with a sim when you can get the real thing - a spang branty Harley Benton HB-10G like the one I'm rockin' for 35 quids?!

_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizhny Tagil View Post
Do you mean Shortcircuit the software sampler? Because Reaper's own sampler works pretty well for drums (with some caveats).
Yeah, that's the one - there's a generator that makes .scm configuration file off a list of numbered directories with drum samples (with note mapping/naming file), it was very handy given how lazy I am towards learning to operate samplers. But seems like it doesn't work above Windows XP. Maybe it's time to learn RS5000 indeed.

(considering you're advertently fitting metal riffs to TR606 lines I think there's degree of planning in your retro-undeground sound)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post
But why bother with a sim when you can get the real thing - a spang branty Harley Benton HB-10G like the one I'm rockin' for 35 quids?!
This is suitably crummy, but I don't want the neighbors to hate me yet. Even the gangsta rap listening guy. Well, especially him.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #9
Nizhny Tagil

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one - there's a generator that makes .scm configuration file off a list of numbered directories with drum samples (with note mapping/naming file), it was very handy given how lazy I am towards learning to operate samplers. But seems like it doesn't work above Windows XP. Maybe it's time to learn RS5000 indeed.
Sorry, I had no idea about that. I haven't used Shortcircuit since switching to a 64 bit OS.
There's a ReaDrums track template around that consists of multiple instances of RS5000 already routed to multiple outputs. Basically you drag and drop the samples and you're good (unless you want round robins, that's more complicated).
The only major flaw of RS5000 is the lack of proper choke groups, but I've found a workaround for that: you use the JS MIDI Choke in front of it and you make sure the tail of any note doesn't overlap with the start of the next one so it doesn't choke it unintentionally (I use the "Set note ends to start of next note" command in the MIDI editor to do that automatically).

The 606 thing was in a moment when I had too much time on my hands! But I admit there's something that makes me happy when I hear that "broke band playing in a garage/cellar/basement" sound. Enough with those tubes and warmth!

Nevermind real amps: for hardware, there's nothing sketchier than those early Zoom multi-effects.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Quote:
Sounding good is common and boring
Is it? Or is it difficult, elusive and rare? I'm going with the second option, since I've barely been able to achieve this in 20 years.

Or I guess there is a third option...that I just suck at everything.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Is it? Or is it difficult, elusive and rare? I'm going with the second option, since I've barely been able to achieve this in 20 years.
For the second time tonight I completely agree with you there!

IMO it's pretentious to deliberately try for a low quality tone, seems like a hipster thing to do.

I'd bet most, if not all, 90s garage bands who recorded with a cheap solid state amp would have much preferred to record with a top of the range tube amp if they had the option at the time.

Having said that, each to our own opinions and if emulating a solid state combo amp inspires anyone to make music then I'm happy options exist for them.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #12
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
IMO it's pretentious to deliberately try for a low quality tone, seems like a hipster thing to do.
Heheh, yea it is a bit. I've had a Tascam tape machine collecting dust for years, but now I could sell it for a profit if I hadn't lost the power adapter because hipsters have brought back the demand for cassettes.

But I also think I understand the sentiment of the OP. Plugs claiming to make things sound better are sickeningly common. Plugs that just unabashedly fuck up your sound are less run-of-the-mill.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:40 PM   #13
zeekat

Quote:
Ok, I'm half joking here. But in regard of tools available - I'm pretty sure the problem of ability do record good sounding things is solved for quite a long time already.

Quote:
Or I guess there is a third option...that I just suck at everything.
Or perhaps you're perfectionist being too hard on yourself, which I guess can be quite common

My own stuff is dodgy performance wise, but honestly, I'm constantly amazed by the potential I have in my computer and a bunch of (quite outdated) plugins. How the fuck would I do that 30 years ago.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #14
foxAsteria

Quote:
Or perhaps you're perfectionist being too hard on yourself
Guilty as charged. But yea, we're pretty spoiled these days in lots of ways.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:20 AM   #15
Nizhny Tagil

I think nobody wants their music to just sound bad, like levels all over the place, instruments completely out of tune, drums that can't keep the beat for 2 bars etc.
But at the end of the day, it's art, so it's largely a matter of subjectivity and emotion. Irony or nostalgia can be part of the fascination of a piece of music (or art in general).
A raw production can add to the atmosphere and be fitting for some material.

On the other hand, I agree with zeekat on the fact that nowadays virtually anyone can have the means to produce music that sounds nice. Character has become harder to achieve than quality.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:50 AM   #16
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizhny Tagil View Post
On the other hand, I agree with zeekat on the fact that nowadays virtually anyone can have the means to produce music that sounds nice. Character has become harder to achieve than quality.
I try to combat that by ditching watching tutorials entirely (unless I'm hopelessly stumped with something), using largely simple knowledge earned at the beginning of the hobby. Also, doing everything manually and avoiding editing as much as possible, I'm into doing stuff naive way. Might be crude, but my crude.

I feel like it helps me against falling victim to the dark void of wondering if my PSU affects the sound quality, writing diatribes on how sofware affects electromechanical phenomena like speaker-guitar feedback or posting samples with imaginary problems that don't sound like anything at all.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #17
davetbass

I think low quality instrument can evoke genuine emotions and nostalgia, like cheap candy full of artificial flavors like green apple haha!

Actually the famous Roland 808 and 303 can be considered low quality because they didn't get close to what they were aiming for

It's not 90'a guitar, but I liked these bad synths:

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/201...gmate-v2-free/

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=484099
davetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #18
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
Actually the famous Roland 808 and 303 can be considered low quality because they didn't get close to what they were aiming for
Been a long while since anybody thought they're meant to emulate something

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
It's not 90'a guitar, but I liked these bad synths:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=484099
I know this one! Not quite sure if in this implementation. Kinda atmospheric with some arpeggiator and a delay anyway.