Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Runaway
Human being with feelings

Default AATranslator Announcement

Its been a fair while since our last release but we have been extremely busy so its probably opportune to let everyone know where we are at.

Firstly, there have been some fairly significant changes to AAT and in preparation for release v3.4 we have contacted all currently registered users confirming their registration and contact details.

Version 3.4 will be available in the next few days to registered users via FTP download so if you are a registered user and have NOT yet been contacted then IT WOULD BE WISE to contact us with your registration details ASAP.

A demo version of v3.4 will probably be available a bit further down the track but we have greater priorities at present. In the meantime potential buyers can always contact us for a conversion from one format to another.

As at right now we are able to export all supported formats to OMF (due to Ron Novy's herculean effort!) and we can import practically all PT7 sessions (more work yet to be done).

This functionality along with additional formats (eg SAW) is expected to be the backbone of v3.5 (but will probably be called v4.0) and should only be a few weeks away.

As we are not a registered charity the bad news is that we expect to raise the price of the $99 version (as well as the upgrade price) at the end of October.

The good news is that ALL users with the $99 version as at the end of October will get this upgrade for FREE as we try our best to support those that have supported us.

So this is a heads up that if you purchased AATranslator for $59 or even $39 and you think that you may need the full version in the future then you should probably get on board before the end of October.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
withhisownhands

Does AATranslator support exporting a project from Sony Acid into Reaper? or at least a conversion from Sony Acid file to EDL.
withhisownhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
hopi

Thanks Micheal... I did get your emails and new lic. files...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by withhisownhands View Post
Does AATranslator support exporting a project from Sony Acid into Reaper? or at least a conversion from Sony Acid file to EDL.
We have spoken with Sony in the past for some assistance without any success but i will try again. It is on our list but unfortunately pretty close to the bottom at this stage.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
We have spoken with Sony in the past for some assistance without any success but i will try again. It is on our list but unfortunately pretty close to the bottom at this stage.
My Sony contact is on leave at present - back soon
Old 10-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Runaway

Default AATranslator version 3.4 Release

We released version 3.4 early this morning and all registered users should have been contacted by now with the location of the download.

There is currently no demo version for this release - the current demo version (v3.3) should be sufficient to determine the value of the application.

We currently have a number of new formats being tested for version 4.0.
PT7 continues to be tested for v4.0 and OMF export functionality draws closer to completion.

Many thanks to those who help with this release - you will never know how much we appreciate it - seriously you will never know ;-)
Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
musicbynumbers

Just upgraded thanks

will be checking it out at some point, been silly busy

need to get my songs out of Nuendo so will be a good test
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by *****n1986 View Post
Good luck brother....
As I recall the quote of mine was in relation to the VEG format.
Strangely enough I actualy spoke to one of the devs in person at NAB and basically said that they were reluctant to go down that path due to the changes that they can make without notice, etc and the impact it would have on me.
I did let them know that anyone who could work out what was in a PTF could do a VEG standing on their head - LOL.

They did say that they were prepared to assist me in any way they could in relation to their XML (main weakness being channels and sub folders in the media bins as I recall).

On the other hand the guys from Pyramix are more than happy to give me their schema so that their native format can be included in AAT.

Lots, lots more to come - so much to do and so little time to do it in.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
hopi

Mike... can translator take an XML from Sibelius and bring it into reaper as midi files? or is that a dumb question
Old 04-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #10
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Mike... can translator take an XML from Sibelius and bring it into reaper as midi files? or is that a dumb question
No such thing as a dumb question only dumb people - LOL

Short answer is no.

Never seen a Sibelius file but if its midi AAT doesn't do midi
Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
donchilcott

Default New Product !!!!!!! Aatranslator 4 PT-Reaper

Quote:
Its been a fair while since our last release but we have been extremely busy so its probably opportune to let everyone know where we are at.

Firstly, there have been some fairly significant changes to AAT and in preparation for release v3.4 we have contacted all currently registered users confirming their registration and contact details.

Version 3.4 will be available in the next few days to registered users via FTP download so if you are a registered user and have NOT yet been contacted then IT WOULD BE WISE to contact us with your registration details ASAP.

A demo version of v3.4 will probably be available a bit further down the track but we have greater priorities at present. In the meantime potential buyers can always contact us for a conversion from one format to another.

As at right now we are able to export all supported formats to OMF (due to Ron Novy's herculean effort!) and we can import practically all PT7 sessions (more work yet to be done).

This functionality along with additional formats (eg SAW) is expected to be the backbone of v3.5 (but will probably be called v4.0) and should only be a few weeks away.

As we are not a registered charity the bad news is that we expect to raise the price of the $99 version (as well as the upgrade price) at the end of October.

The good news is that ALL users with the $99 version as at the end of October will get this upgrade for FREE as we try our best to support those that have supported us.

So this is a heads up that if you purchased AATranslator for $59 or even $39 and you think that you may need the full version in the future then you should probably get on board before the end of October.
I envision a new product. I am getting the idea, OMF is a nightmare... What if you created a very scaled down aatranslator for users like me who need a scaled down version for Reaper/Protools users who need to add simple audio tracks to a song. edit/add audio tracks and export (via OMF ?) back to Protools ??? Forget midi, forget plugins, forget video,forget tempo changes? I just need to listen to a recording and add some audio tracks... Whoever sends me OMF files can render them to audio on their end(what DAW doesn't do that). The studio that I need to work with can send me simple audio tracks, I don't nead to hear songs with all the bells and whistles... Take it from the humble end user/customer. That would be a very practical product...
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #12
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by donchilcott View Post
What if you created a very scaled down aatranslator for users like me who need a scaled down version for Reaper/Protool...........
Take it from the humble end user/customer. That would be a very practical product...
I guess by scaled down you mean both in functionality and in price or just functionality?

Yes omf is a pain but so is anything to do with Avid/Dodgy but we manage I guess.

When you say build a product for users like you what about the users that are almost like you? You see where this leads?

I thank you for your suggestion but to be honest we are pretty strapped maintaining and enhancing the products we currently do already and one more product that may or may not meet the needs of an even smaller demographic can only be a no win situation for us.

For products like ours there is a small market and there are those who feel our products are a bargain compared to others and likewise there are those who would only see value if the price was dramatically reduced.

It really comes down to $$$ & time & effort are they worth the entry price?

As you correctly point out at the end of the day sessions can be just bumped down to wav and we can all move on.

But again I do seriously thank you for your suggestion and for all and any suggestions - I just wish someone would come up with a suggestion as to how I can justify charging even more money for this thing and maybe even how I could extort huge sums for every update. How come no-one ever comes up with those suggestions - LOL

Thanks
M

Edit: I have already indicated to EvilDragon that at some point (when I can work out how to do it) we would consider an omf plugin for Reaper.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
pattste

Quote:
I have already indicated to EvilDragon that at some point (when I can work out how to do it) we would consider an omf plugin for Reaper.
This is an excellent idea, whether Cockos pay you to do it or it is sold separately.

I have no doubt that your product is of great value to those who need the kind of functionality that it offers. It is a very broad solution supporting virtually every DAW that I've heard of and many that I haven't. Any professional studio that ever works with files that originated in project studios or will find their way back there (and I would assume that's most of them these days) should own a copy.

The problem is that many people only use one DAW and need to exchange projects with only one other (usually Pro-Tools, because that's what the overwhelming majority of studios are using). No matter how you price aatranslator, people will feel like they're paying for functionality they don't need. Also, the other DAWs have that kind of functionality integrated into the product, not as a third-party option (as good and affordable as it may be).

For me, aatranslator essentially would fall in the nice to have category. I don't really need it at this time but I can certainly see how it could be useful. I would think many others see it the same way.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
airon

OMF files mostly come from picture editing departments. People who deal with this stuff on a professional level and want to work with Reaper(like I do) will snap up AATranslator within seconds of succesfully testing it to fit their workflows.

And besides, most sound-to-picture folks can now buy Protools 9 ($600) or 10($700) as an OMF and AAF converter. They almost always have it anyway. AATranslator can then convert the Protools session quite easily, though I'm still cursing Avid to eternal damnation for their mono-only approach up until v10 of Protools. I hope those sessions get convertible as well.

I've used AAtranslator half a dozen times last week to get a couple of tracks of AAF files(next generation OMF, apparently messy and horrible as well) in Reaper via Protools 9.

Works. And necessary for sound-to-picture professionals. And people serious about taking audio sessions to Protools studios without a flat-file export, which Reaper facilitates beautifully.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Runaway

Sure not everyone needs AATranslator but when you do need it it will be there (well hopefully). Which nicely segues into....

We have just released version 5.1 and like a well hung Xmas stocking it is jam packed full of goodies.

All registered owners should have been notified as to where to download it from - if you haven't then contact me.

Edit:
Since that release I have had a few necessary fixes and have hopefully uploaded the last for a while
v5.1.0.4

This is what has changed since v5.1

v5.1.01
* Cubase 6 XMLs now have ridiculously high pointer numbers which cause an overflow error in AAT - now fixed
* Reaper: Issues with "Takes" and Bus Tracks causing AAT to crash now resolved

v5.1.02
* SAWStudio Track names not appearing in Reaper conversions due to extra Null character - now fixed

v5.1.03
* SAWStudio Track Pan values reporting incorrectly - now fixed

v5.1.04
* When extracting AIFs from some OMFs AAT may lockup - now fixed
* Fixed memory leak when splitting stereo wav files

Edit:

v5.1.05

* FCP AIFs extracted from OMF may need header rebuilt - now fixed

v5.1.06

* Improved Steinberg XML export - particularly converting timebase between musical & linear
* Session offset now catered for in conversions to/from Steinberg XMLs
* Import OMF - fixed crashing caused by Germanic/Slovak dialects
* Sadie AES31/ADL files now read by AAT
* AIF files with AIFC chunk converted to AIFF when converting to SAW Studio

v5.1.06 should be released as soon as testing has been finalised

Last edited by Runaway; 12-09-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Runaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:56 AM   #16
donchilcott

[QUOTE=Runaway;599697]Its been a fair while since our last release but we have been extremely busy so its probably opportune to let everyone know where we are at.

So this is a heads up that if you purchased AATranslator for $59 or even $39 and you think that you may need the full version in the future then you should probably get on board before the end of October.[/QUOTE
I think aatranslator will do what I need but??? I see on the website I can Import OMF files from Protools and import into Reaper. Can I add audio tracks and export back to Protools?
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:15 AM   #17
Runaway

Essentially what AAT does is create say an RPP from the OMF. You then do what ever it is you need to do, add tracks etc and then create an omf to send off.

However, as Plush has indicated in another thread all OMFs are not created equal. In addition there is an expectation that OMF is some magic format that should be used when in fact it is so piss poor in actual content I'm amazed that it still gets a run - I mean it doesn't even contain markers or other basics.

So it would be best that you send me a small test omf I'll convert it and then convert an RPP to an omf.

You can then satisfy yourself as to AATs value in your circumstance.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #18
airon

Btw, I uploaded a few small test files for you.

Protools 9.05 session copies apparently work with AATranslator, when AAF-import-to-Protools-with-audiofile-copying sessions do not. More details in the small directory I sent up.

"AAT 5.0.049 Report on Protools 9.05 Windows"

And I recommend you put version numbers on your betas, like Reaper does perhaps. I always name the downloaded files by your upload date.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #19
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Protools 9.05 session copies apparently work with AATranslator, when AAF-import-to-Protools-with-audiofile-copying sessions do not. More details in the small directory I sent up.

"AAT 5.0.049 Report on Protools 9.05 Windows"

And I recommend you put version numbers on your betas, like Reaper does perhaps. I always name the downloaded files by your upload date.
Yeah I started out doing that but versions sometimes change several times an hour and laziness started to creep in....
I'll try and resume that practice (soon).

Anyway - we are currently at release version 5.1 (and trying to get it out the door) and that version works perfectly on both versions of the ptf you uploaded.
That maybe because we fixed the problem or its an issue when AAT interogates the media.

I have just uploaded the 'release version' again as I have made some last minute changes to reading Steinberg OMFs (and may make one more yet before release) and one change which may have help your circumstance (if not fixed since that beta version).
Feel free to try it again - fingers crossed.

M