Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Runaway
Human being with feelings

Default AATranslator Announcement

Its been a fair while since our last release but we have been extremely busy so its probably opportune to let everyone know where we are at.

Firstly, there have been some fairly significant changes to AAT and in preparation for release v3.4 we have contacted all currently registered users confirming their registration and contact details.

Version 3.4 will be available in the next few days to registered users via FTP download so if you are a registered user and have NOT yet been contacted then IT WOULD BE WISE to contact us with your registration details ASAP.

A demo version of v3.4 will probably be available a bit further down the track but we have greater priorities at present. In the meantime potential buyers can always contact us for a conversion from one format to another.

As at right now we are able to export all supported formats to OMF (due to Ron Novy's herculean effort!) and we can import practically all PT7 sessions (more work yet to be done).

This functionality along with additional formats (eg SAW) is expected to be the backbone of v3.5 (but will probably be called v4.0) and should only be a few weeks away.

As we are not a registered charity the bad news is that we expect to raise the price of the $99 version (as well as the upgrade price) at the end of October.

The good news is that ALL users with the $99 version as at the end of October will get this upgrade for FREE as we try our best to support those that have supported us.

So this is a heads up that if you purchased AATranslator for $59 or even $39 and you think that you may need the full version in the future then you should probably get on board before the end of October.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
withhisownhands

Does AATranslator support exporting a project from Sony Acid into Reaper? or at least a conversion from Sony Acid file to EDL.
withhisownhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
hopi

Thanks Micheal... I did get your emails and new lic. files...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by withhisownhands View Post
Does AATranslator support exporting a project from Sony Acid into Reaper? or at least a conversion from Sony Acid file to EDL.
We have spoken with Sony in the past for some assistance without any success but i will try again. It is on our list but unfortunately pretty close to the bottom at this stage.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
We have spoken with Sony in the past for some assistance without any success but i will try again. It is on our list but unfortunately pretty close to the bottom at this stage.
My Sony contact is on leave at present - back soon
Old 10-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Runaway

Default AATranslator version 3.4 Release

We released version 3.4 early this morning and all registered users should have been contacted by now with the location of the download.

There is currently no demo version for this release - the current demo version (v3.3) should be sufficient to determine the value of the application.

We currently have a number of new formats being tested for version 4.0.
PT7 continues to be tested for v4.0 and OMF export functionality draws closer to completion.

Many thanks to those who help with this release - you will never know how much we appreciate it - seriously you will never know ;-)
Old 10-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
musicbynumbers

Just upgraded thanks

will be checking it out at some point, been silly busy

need to get my songs out of Nuendo so will be a good test
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
Runaway

Cool - let me (or john at the aatranslator UK email address) know if you need a hand.

Nuendo can be a real PIA but we have done a heap of work with Nuendo's export formats so one of them (probably xml) should give you a pretty good conversion.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
Runaway

I have posted an updated version (v3.4.03)

Fixed:
1. Error splitting 24 bit files which contain a 'junk' chunk prior to the 'data' chunk
2. The 'Send Output to....Folder containing source OMF' state now saves on exit
3. If selecting the 'Append' function with this OMF state set on an informative message is displayed
4. The 'hidden' Mac file produced when creating Mac PT5 output is no longer hidden
5. Now correctly handles RPP files which have a "<SOURCE SECTION"
6. Now correctly handles RPP files containing mp3 files - "<SOURCE MP3"

It is posted in the same location

We have had some very promising work done getting PT to read AATranslator markers (PT actually reads them but with a few minor problems) - more on that as work progress.

OMF is working but Ron being the perfectionist that he is is aiming to get track automation working for our first release of OMF
Old 10-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
Runaway

Default Vista x64 Users

I urgently need to know if any Vista x64 users have run the AATranslator demo
Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
gwok

hey, sorry if this has been brought up, but is there any potential of seeing an osx version?
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
Runaway

Without wanting to sound like 'poor me' I guess the short answer is maybe.

I never say never (although I just did twice) but its a whole different ballgame programming for macs (I mean what do i do with the right mouse button thing).

But seriously - I have plans to shift development platforms but they are only plans. Developing this thing for essentially sweet FA is one thing but to do it all again for no gain requires greater pain threshhold than I have at present.

We are currently focussed on PT7 import, OMF export & SAW at present with plans to progress to PT8. So for now Wine or Parallels, etc will have to be poor substitutes I'm afraid.

It never hurts to ask though refusal often offends :-)
Old 10-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
gwok

cool just thought I'd ask,

also if it's something your thinking over, it seems to me that osx support would be a strong compliment to the PT enhancements your doing - I'm not out to tell you how to do things etc at all, though I do know that there is a pretty strong PT\OSX push from many PT sales reps. So I'm just saying there probably is a market out there - take that with a grain of salt though if you like, it's just a thought....

i ran the demo today and it worked great on my xp laptop! super cool

btw, whats the difference between the standard and enhanced versions?

tx, g
Old 10-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
cool just thought I'd ask,

also if it's something your thinking over, it seems to me that osx support would be a strong compliment to the PT enhancements your doing - I'm not out to tell you how to do things etc at all, though I do know that there is a pretty strong PT\OSX push from many PT sales reps. So I'm just saying there probably is a market out there - take that with a grain of salt though if you like, it's just a thought....

i ran the demo today and it worked great on my xp laptop! super cool

btw, whats the difference between the standard and enhanced versions?

tx, g

Hey no problem - feel free to ask anything.

I take everything with a grain of salt these days - one thing I know is that I can't pick 'em.

Eg We put effort into that didgi/dodgy omf format thinking - hey this should really boost sales, then PT everyone wants that for sure etc etc. Just proves I know nothing so now I certainly listen :-)

Yeah the demo is cool but we have made so many improvements since then its not funny. We have no plans to update the demo at this point.

The difference between the 2 versions is that the standard one has very limited omf & pt functionality (more like a demo of those formats I guess). So this way if you don't need that functionality you can get the rest for $59. The extended version has no limits and at present all upgrades are free.

The price of the extended version (and upgrade) will rise in about a week in preperation of some pretty big additions. Existing extended users will get these additions for free.

So if you think you need this functionality in the future then you might want to consider purchasing now.

This is not a sales pitch just a heads up.

What formats are you converting to/from?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
gwok

mainly I'd be going from PT8 to Reaper, though today i was testing some old Nuendo projects.

I think I should be able to take my PT stuff (on osx), throw it on my laptop(XP), convert it there to RPP, and put it back on my OSX machine. is there any sort of weirdnesses that might cause?

tx
Old 10-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
Runaway

Quote:
mainly I'd be going from PT8 to Reaper, though today i was testing some old Nuendo projects.

I think I should be able to take my PT stuff (on osx), throw it on my laptop(XP), convert it there to RPP, and put it back on my OSX machine. is there any sort of weirdnesses that might cause?

tx
Weirdness, PT & Mac in the same sentence! LOL

Here is the state of play :- we can now read PT8 session files (obfuscation removed) but we haven't had time to unscramble/interpret their new internal formatting as we have been concentrating on PT7.
Now th cunning folk at dodgy won't let you save to PT7 if you are running PT8 (to stop old ProConvert users) but you can 'save copy in..' to a PT5 format.

AAT will happily read a Mac PT5 session and convert it to Reaper and back again. There are some steps to go through but they are outlined in the doco.

So if you want to send me a PT5 session I will convert it to Reaper for you.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
gwok

hey Runaway, I pm'd you a link

l8r
Old 10-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #18
cdavis6406

Quote:
Without wanting to sound like 'poor me' I guess the short answer is maybe.

I never say never (although I just did twice) but its a whole different ballgame programming for macs (I mean what do i do with the right mouse button thing).

But seriously - I have plans to shift development platforms but they are only plans. Developing this thing for essentially sweet FA is one thing but to do it all again for no gain requires greater pain threshhold than I have at present.

We are currently focussed on PT7 import, OMF export & SAW at present with plans to progress to PT8. So for now Wine or Parallels, etc will have to be poor substitutes I'm afraid.

It never hurts to ask though refusal often offends :-)

If your using OSX get codeweavers Crossover for Mac and setup a bottle then install the win version too it. I will work. Used this countles times with various software including PTLS and Reaper.(Just too See)

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #19
Runaway

Default Dodgy - What Gives?

Man these Avid/Dodgy guys just do my head in!

If there is an easy way of doing something then you can bet they have put together a committee to come up with some obfuscated, complex way of doing it! I don't know why they bothered scrambling their code because the inane way they do things inside the session makes it hard enough to follow.

Sigh.....

Anyway - it took me a while to work out that they treat their stereo tracks as 2 mono tracks internally so now things are much clearer and closer to a release. In fact apart from a few minor things (mainly related to tick based stuff I suspect) this conversion is pretty impressive (and it takes at least 2 shiny things to impress me!)
Old 10-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #20
Runaway

Last notification - Price rise will happen this week
Old 10-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #21
Runaway

Default Beta Testing

I'm looking for a couple of Reaper users who also use PT7 to do some beta testing of the next version of AAT (its not a glamour job or as easy as it sounds).

Serious contenders only please ;-)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #22
Runaway

Another quick update:-

Beta v3.4.15 is currently being tested

Main features are:
1. Much improved PT7 import - now caters for sessions with midi, aux, inst & video tracks.

2. Ability to create embedded or reference omf
Fades/xfades yet to be finalised for omf export so overlapping clips are placed on alternate tracks in the short term - this is expected to be finalised shortly (well done Ron).

3. Users are now notified that AAT is attemptng to recombine split mono wav files back to interleaved stereo

4. Improvements in reading mac PT5 bin files

Trying to find time to look at cpr files and PT8 and still find time for sleep.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #23
musicbynumbers

cool! I haven't had a chance to use it still yet properly but when I do I will be very glad I brought it!

Almost dying to get a mix not as bar 1's to give it a go!

Quote:
Another quick update:-

Beta v3.4.15 is currently being tested

Main features are:
1. Much improved PT7 import - now caters for sessions with midi, aux, inst & video tracks.

2. Ability to create embedded or reference omf
Fades/xfades yet to be finalised for omf export so overlapping clips are placed on alternate tracks in the short term - this is expected to be finalised shortly (well done Ron).

3. Users are now notified that AAT is attemptng to recombine split mono wav files back to interleaved stereo

4. Improvements in reading mac PT5 bin files

Trying to find time to look at cpr files and PT8 and still find time for sleep.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
cool! I haven't had a chance to use it still yet properly but when I do I will be very glad I brought it!
Mate, no matter if you use it or not, trust me when I say, I'm very glad you bought it - LOL
Old 11-16-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
Runaway

Currently adding Samplitude VIP session files to our list of supported formats - planned to be in the next release.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #26
Runaway

Samplitude VIP fwiw is all but done - just have to finish off the track auto and I can put that one down.

Ron Novy is almost done with the OMF which is actually working - just have to iron out a few things.

PT7 is getting a bashing by the beta guys and holding up well.

Its hard to imagine but I'm bored so I have started working on PT8.
Those toads at Dodgy it seems wont let you save your sessions as PT7 if you have PT8 installed (probably because of ProConvert and wasn't that a great idea - Not!) - any other version is fine just not PT7.
So PT8 has my attention.
Its essentially very similar but (in a useless effort to thwart the ProConvert guys) they omitted some useful index indicators. Doesn't stop anyone that's keen (or too stupid to stop) but it is just one more annoying thing about Dodgy. Shouldn't take too long to get a basic session conversion happening - just have to stay focused. Hmmm what's that shiny thing over there?

Too many things to tie together and a couple of good paying projects looming and way too little sleep - not a good combination.

Its 12:30 I think I'll watch an episode of Burn Notice if I can see through the hex dumps burnt into the back of my retinas :-(

Too much fun to have in just one day ........
Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 AM   #27
Runaway

Samplitude track auto is finished (thanks Ron for the last piece of the puzzle) as is our Samplitude import function.

PT7 import is holding up well in beta

And omf works but fades/xfades still needs to be done

JL is revamping and improving our whole fades conversion functionality.

Lots of code rewritten/sped up eg functions like split to mono and recombining split mono to stereo etc.

So my guess is another release is pretty close and registered users will be notified when ready ;-)
Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #28
Runaway

Just an update :- Have just converted a PT8 session.

Still lots more to do - cater for video, aux, midi tracks etc

Its getting there - more progress and testing of AAT OMF expected soon

If anyone wants to send me a PT9 session file (no media) I would really like to check it out - I'm that sort of guy
Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #29
musicbynumbers

Great news!

And I'll say it again. I'm so glad this program finally exists, the idea of being able to transfer stuff between daws with much better transparency then the "traditional" ways is a step towards "DAW 2.0"

Still got to get round to converting my old Nuendo files (which some are up to 250 tracks) but when I do will let you know if I come across any probs.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #30
peter5992

Quote:
Just an update :- Have just converted a PT8 session.

Still lots more to do - cater for video, aux, midi tracks etc

Its getting there - more progress and testing of AAT OMF expected soon

If anyone wants to send me a PT9 session file (no media) I would really like to check it out - I'm that sort of guy
That is very good news - that would be a great enhancement. I did some testing with a PT8 session exported as OMF and then converted to Reaper, and then saved as a PT5 session and then converted to Reaper. I'll pm you the results and what works / doesn't seem to work.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #31
hopi

we await the next version with baited breath... errr projects... plz keep on keeping on Mike...
Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #32
Runaway

Thanks hopi :-)

Peter5992's results were most pleasing
He did have some points

• the video has to be imported separately (easy enough, to be sure)
• no fade files
• no automation
• no track names
• a stereo track is split into 2 mono tracks, you have to adjust the panning of each track (easy enough as well)

1.Importing video seperately is the norm

2. fade files, automation & track names
If Avid compatability is not enforced then generally automation (if it is there) will be imported as clip envelopes
Pan automation is rare to find in an omf (well for me anyway)
The presence of track names is dependent on who creates the omf

3. PT7&8 references stereo files internally as l & r mono files - in this early stage I am dealing with them the same but plan to consolidate as we move further down the track.

Peter's efforts are much appreciated as is those of other beta testers (Ollie, Bill, etal).
Old 11-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #33
hopi

well Mike ...looks like AVID will keep you endlessly busy.. oh boy, PT9 now... I'll bet you are just jumpin' with joy!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #34
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
well Mike ...looks like AVID will keep you endlessly busy.. oh boy, PT9 now... I'll bet you are just jumpin' with joy!
Yes how good is that!

Wel I guess for some it is a good thing but for us.......

I do want to get my hands on a PT9 session for obvious reasons.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #35
hopi

should not be too difficult to come by... just got a note from someone today that they are using 9... not much detail yet.

So... tell me here or in email or pm, exactly what you want in the project and I'll see what help I might bring. It's likely 'they' would make a little project just for you.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #36
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
should not be too difficult to come by... just got a note from someone today that they are using 9... not much detail yet.

So... tell me here or in email or pm, exactly what you want in the project and I'll see what help I might bring. It's likely 'they' would make a little project just for you.
Thanks hopi.

For starters any PT9 session file will do (no media required) just so we can determine the obfuscation method. After that we can get into the details of specific session file make up if needed.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #37
hopi

OK got it... have put out a req to my friend, and let's see what we get. hahaha I WANT YOU TO HAVE THIS
Old 11-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #38
Runaway

Its getting nearly time for another significant release.

PT7&8 import is looking very solid - I'm sure there are some warts in there but they probably wont surface until after we release (as usual).
OMF should now have track automation (vol & pan) as well as handling wav & aif. Just waiting on fades to be finalised.
Have just started adding routing conversion - eg busses first with AA/CEP & Reaper and then adding others.
And much much more.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #39
gwok

sweet, stoked for the PT8 conversion!
Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #40
Runaway

Quote:
sweet, stoked for the PT8 conversion!
If you have a PT8 ptf file (no media) I'd be happy to convert it to Reaper for you as a bit of a test.