Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 10-31-2017, 02:50 AM   #1
Pinknoise
Human being with feelings

Default Some help needed with rtconfig and reload images

I started a theme from scratch to follow White Tie's walter themer's guide. I unzipped DefaultV4 and copied the entire text in appendix3 in the rtconfig file. The first time I tried to put semi-colon in front of the tcp lines it worked. Everything dispappeared I had a blank TCP to start from scratch.

Now for some reason it won't work anymore. My guess is something is pointing to another rtconfig file probably the default one in user/data I can't figure out how it came to this.

I attached the rtconfig down below.

Other question. When I first installed Solaris_LCS_Blue it came with a folder and Reapertheme file separately instead of one Reaperthemezip file that I dragged in the appdata/Reaper/Roaming/Colortheme folder. I found that to be very practicle to tweak the theme as I did'nt have to zip/unzip everytime I did a change in images or rtconfig and reimport in colortheme.

So I did just this with the new theme to try to learn Walter and make some tests. So when I change something I save it in the colortheme folder and I hit the reload images button in Theme developement/tweaker window. It worked great for a while.
Image ressource path is set to the appropriate folder it gave some trouble at first as it was pointing out to the default4 theme and not my modversion but I found out and now image ressource path point to the v4mod and everything was working fine for a while .

Until it just stopped working completely. I was able to change MasterMCP for a while but not TCP or MCP. And then nothing. All I did was put a semi-colon ; in front of the lines. I started to have fun and got stucked at p.6 of the Walter guide.

If I change the rtconfig in Solaris_LCS_Blue it works. But not in my mod anymore.

Is this how you guys do it when you want to check your changes how is there another way?
And could have I broke something by working like this that makes the rtconfig file non responsive anymore?
Attached Files
File Type: txt rtconfig.txt (11.5 KB, 259 views)
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:21 AM   #2
Pinknoise

I still tried to make my way through the guide using Solaris_LCS_BLuev2 but if I replace the rtconfig by the one uploaded in previous post, changes done in it are not happening. Only changes in the original rtconfig work but only partially. Must be something overiding some code in it.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

At a glance that all looks fine. For what its worth, I'd suggest removing all the WALTER you pasted in from appendix 3, and only put the bit on p6/7.

It certainly smells like you've got a folder/file error going on. If you're editing the wrong file, or editing the file that's inside a different folder than the one the theme is pointing at, then its not going to have any effect.

The errors you were having with whole section not working sounds more like a layout termination cockup (do it myself all the time), though the code you've posted looks fine. Lets say you had:
Code:
Layout "1"
  blah blah
EndLayout

Layout "2"
  blah blah
EndLayout
and you put in one semicolon before an EndLayout
Code:
Layout "1"
  blah blah
;EndLayout

Layout "2"
  blah blah
EndLayout
...suddenly Layout 2 would be a child layout of Layout 1, and things would get very unexpected.

You're doing the right thing. Keep it simple, and start with the smallest amount of WALTER possible to learn each bit. Dubugging your own WALTER is tricky at first. Debugging how your edits have broken someone else's WALTER is a bloody nightmare, because you'd need to completely understand how they were doing things in order to understand in what way you had broken it
Old 10-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
Pinknoise

Thanks for your answer. I know I'm pointing to the right folder since when I copy a completely different rtconfig, save and refresh I get the old v3 strip to replace the Solaris strips. It's afterwards it does'nt make sense that I can sometimes make it work and other times not.

It's not reassuring when you tell me the code looks fine I'm clueless.

I have none of this ; semi-colon in the rtconfig since it's a copy paste from appendix3 except when I try to work my way through Solaris_LCS_BlueV2 wich I don't want to do but I'm forced to since nothing is working with the other rtconfig. Then again I do some edit that kinda work and it stop working suddenly.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Something entirely rational, logical and expected is happening. Be of good cheer; we just need to figure out what it is. Next time it breaks, zip it up and post it here so I can see the whole of the problem.

I strongly suggest you stop pasting great swathes of WALTER you didn't write. Start with a blank text file called rtconfig.txt. Using THAT will give you the old v3 strip, that's REAPER's fallback when there's no WALTER in your file - the stuff listed in appendix 3. Now write one line...

Code:
set mcp.solo [0 0 100 100]
It'll look crap. Which is a good thing for now. Then get funky with it...

Code:
set mcp.solo ?recarm [0 0 50 50] [0 0 100 100]
and just start adding stuff and making it more complicated and then maybe add some of the non-WALTER at the top of the file, and before you know it you'll see that most themes are just big long lists of the same old stuff its just taken you a short while to understand.

Experience has taught me that starting by trying to understand someone else's code will, for most people, test their patience beyond the point where they can be bothered any more.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
Pinknoise

I uninstalled Reaper. Removing everything in user/reaper/roaming/appdata. And I did'nt import my config.
Now latest version with sws.
Copied the version 4 from the theme directory and paste everything from appendix3 but still it's not working.
So I erased everything in rtconfig like you suggest saved and refreshed. is it supposed to look like this at this point ?

Also is it normal that I can still stretch the tcp and icones are moving ? There must be something giving the commands probably the file in program/Reaper ?

Old 10-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Copied the version 4 from the theme directory
Don't do that.
Quote:
paste everything from appendix3 but still it's not working.
Don't do that.
Quote:
So I erased everything in rtconfig like you suggest saved and refreshed. is it supposed to look like this at this point ?
Yes! But also No. That's what you get if you have no theme file, no image files and no WALTER. A blank slate. You've deleted or disabled everything.
Quote:
There must be something giving the commands probably the file in program/Reaper ?
Yes. The fallback WALTER. Its always there, that's why you don't need to copy it out of appendix 3.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Pinknoise

Ok now I'm lost I thought I could start from scratch put I kinda overdid it.:

Quote from Walter manual:

Make a new theme, or open an existing theme that has no WALTER . The first thing we need to do is tell WALTER to override the standard layout.
In this tutorial we will be working on the TCP, so we need the command to
clear the TCP elements.

I thought I was making a new theme but what theme has no Walter ?

Im trying some older themes like SatyaTunes that's all there is in the rtconfig:

use_pngs 1
tcp_showborders 0
mcp_showborders 0
tcp_vupeakwidth 2
mcp_vupeakheight 2
mcp_mastervupeakheight 2
mcp_altmeterpos 0
use_overlays 0
transport_showborders 1
tcp_vol_zeroline 00000000
tcp_pan_zeroline 00000000
mcp_vol_zeroline 00000000
mcp_pan_zeroline 00000000
trans_speed_zeroline 00000000

Last edited by Pinknoise; 10-31-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
what theme has no Walter ?

Im trying some older themes like SatyaTunes that's all there is in the rtconfig:

use_pngs 1
tcp_showborders 0
mcp_showborders 0
tcp_vupeakwidth 2
mcp_vupeakheight 2
mcp_mastervupeakheight 2
mcp_altmeterpos 0
use_overlays 0
transport_showborders 1
tcp_vol_zeroline 00000000
tcp_pan_zeroline 00000000
mcp_vol_zeroline 00000000
mcp_pan_zeroline 00000000
trans_speed_zeroline 00000000
That one! None of that is WALTER.

WALTER was introduced in V4, any theme older than that will have no WALTER. It will still have an rtconfig.txt file, though - see this sticky.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #10
Pinknoise

It might be a good idea to specify to start with a pre V4 theme in the Walter guide.

Right before 'First Steps' you give indications to unpack V4 Default it's confusing.

And also you could suggest a few themes as well that work for the exercise.

Excuse my noobiness I need a walkthrough. Still thanks for the nice guide and your help very appreciated.

Last edited by Pinknoise; 11-01-2017 at 08:23 AM.