Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
Human being with feelings

Default Can`t set up midi control for plugins, but could do it earlier...

So long story short I have a plugin Hornet WahWah, which is... wah pedal emulation, huh. A year ago I sucessfully controlled it with my old trusty Digitech midi foot controller. I litteraly use midi controlling device just for 1 plugin only. Now I need it for recording again, so I press Learn on the parameter I need, pull up the main control button, leave it as Absolute and it`s assigned. But the problem is, when I pull it all the way up it responds correctly (sets to maximum value), but when I pull it back all the way down, it doesn`t set to minimum value. It decreases just a little bit, 10% approx. And it happens with other plugins as well, but it never happened in a past. Is that kind of interconnected with Reaper updates, or maybe someone knows the better solution of how to assign VST parameteres to midi controller? Thanks for stopping by!
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
nofish

Since you say it's happening with other plugins also you could insert ReaControlMIDI (included with Reaper) on a track, enable its MIDI logging function and see what your foot controller is sending to check it's (still) working correctly as a first troubleshooting step. (Unless you know it's fine of course).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #3
mschnell

Remember that "learn" acts on the Control Path Midi stream, that is fed (e.g.) by enabling "Control" in the Midi device setting, while "ReaMidiControl" logs the midi messages that are in the realm of the track it is installed in, and which is fed (e.g.) by the Midi input set in the track "header" or by Reaper's Midi routing features. To link parameters to the track's Midi stream you would not use "learn" but "Parameter Modulation/Midi Link".

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-13-2018 at 07:30 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:34 AM   #4

I`m pretty sure the controller works fine as i recently connected it to guitar processor, just for quick test. Didn`t change anything, only checked wah and whammy-like effects and it was ok.

As for Parameter Modulation I have no idea of how to connect it the way I want. I always could do it only via Learn...
Old 08-13-2018, 05:28 AM   #5
DarkStar

There are full details of using Parameter Modulation in the User Guide.

As for the original problem - is it only Hornet? Can you try with other plug-ins?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
There are full details of using Parameter Modulation in the User Guide.

As for the original problem - is it only Hornet? Can you try with other plug-ins?

As I wrote in the very 1-st post: " it happens with other plugins as well, but it never happened in a past"

so I don`t see a point why should I switch to different way of connection when there was a method that worked completely fine. There must be a problem somewhere to be found. I can only think about Reaper updates but usually people here know more about it than me...
Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
DarkStar

Oops, I missed that.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #8
nofish

You could install an older Reaper version (also possible as portbale install so it doesn't mess with your actual install) and check if it works there.

Old Reaper versions are found here:
https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
You could install an older Reaper version (also possible as portbale install so it doesn't mess with your actual install) and check if it works there.

Old Reaper versions are found here:
https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php
Done. Well it`s the same. It goes up to Max but gets back only to 77% instead of 0%. Guess smth`s still wrong with midi controller, but as I said it worked ok with hardware processor recently... Anyway thanks for advice!