Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Default issue resolved (color by track for selected notes overriding theme color)

if i understand this correctly, this means that MIDI data should be colored by item source color (assigned via custom track color) and then have the midi colormap thereby applied.

first of all, if this was working correctly, why didn't someone suggest this mode during the last week and a half i spent whining about "selected" color of "Track-colored" midi data??

second, and this may be why, it doesn't seem to work properly.

1- create track
2- color track
3- create midi item. NOTE: midi item is colored by track.
4- enable "Color notes/CC by source, using colormap"
5- open midi editor, draw in notes.
6- issue: random color appears to be chosen.

what's going on here? expected behavior: midi data is colored by track color, but obeys colormap when selected

Last edited by mccrabney; 12-13-2019 at 05:24 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

The source color option uses only the colors from the colormap (the rightmost 16 columns, also used when coloring by channel). Each media item that is displayed in the editor gets assigned the next color in the map, although media items save their color index, so depending on what order media items are assigned or displayed, the first-time assigning can be effectively random.

Why do you expect that this option would use the track or media item color when unselected?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Why do you expect that this option would use the track or media item color when unselected?
the expectation stemmed from a misunderstanding of the use of the word "source" - i thought this would refer to the color of the "source" of the midi data, ie the item color. thanks for clearing that up.

i was exploring this hoping that it fulfill my need to be able to define one single "selected" color of midi data using "Color notes/CC by track custom color."

below, i have a demonstration of a use case where i've opened all midi in project both visible and editable. midi is colored by track. on the left, it is exceedingly difficult to determine which notes are selected. on the right, my aim is to use an otherwise unused color to scream I'M SELECTED without the user having to apply such careful scrutiny.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
nait

Hey McCrabney,

My preference is like you described too, and someone solved that problem. There is a tintmap you can change.

Full credit to Xpander for the solution:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=16

How to implement:
- Ensure the theme you are working on is unpacked (if you have no idea what that means, you should read the stickies in this forum about theme development)...
- Save "midi_note_colormap_one color_v6 default.png" in aforementioned post.
- Rename it to "midi_note_colormap.png"
- Drop this in the folder for the theme you want to change (back up this file from that folder first, if need be).
- Save theme.
- Reload the theme. Selected notes will now just be sort of a yellow color for everything, regardless of any color change from velocity or notes pitch.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Selected notes will now just be sort of a yellow color for everything, regardless of any color change from velocity or notes pitch.
thanks, nait, but this doesn't solve the issue.
the midi colormap doesn't apply to midi changed by TRACK COLOR.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
nait

Ahh, sorry, I missed that part, obviously. I do see now what you're trying to do and what you want, but don't know of a solution though. I'm interested to know if it can be changed though.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 12-12-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
nait

It makes sense that it wouldn't need the color map to color the unselected notes when coloring by track. I am not at my PC to fool around to see, but if you're saying that it just uses one color for the notes selected in this fashion (which is what it looks like in your post in post 3), I would think that color would be set in the theme tweaker somewhere. Did you try changing some values in there? If it's there, I'd think it would have select in the name, and it would show the grey color you showed in post 3.

The only one I can guess that's close is "MIDI editor note, selected (midi_note_colormap overrides)". Colormap overrides this, but as you say, colormap isn't being used in this case.. try changing that to bright green.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
mccrabney

that is also familiar territory.

thanks for taking the time to think about this, though - i think i've done everything in my power and come up empty on this.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=228079
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227500

"Color by Track" midi seems to be uniquely unthemeable compared to other coloring modes
Old 12-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
nait

OK, I've got one more thought on it, but I'll give it a whirl when I get home.

Because I can't test it out right now where I am, can you confirm one thing for me though.. as it stands, with track coloring on, if you select notes, are they all that same white or grey color (whatever it is)? Or does it still tint based on the track color? I assume the former, in which case, if it's not settable in that theme tweaker, we can't touch it, I guess.

Last edited by nait; 12-12-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
mccrabney

unselected / selected.
looks like a tint, to me.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
nait

Yeah I'm not sure what's happening, but it's obviously not just setting it to a single color (so the theme adjuster is out I would think). I'll try one thing when I get home later and let you know if it worked. Assuming Schwa / WT or someone else don't come up with a solution.

Last edited by nait; 12-12-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
nait

OK, no dice. I could change everything I selected to a bright green except Media Item (not sure what the deal there is, but I wasn't even sure if that applied to MIDI anyways) and Track.

Edit: OK, i'm starting to think this is a different image, as I have now seen how MIDI items on the arrange view are colored (with item_bg.png).

Now just to narrow down which one..

Edit 2: OK, I officially give up. Nothing jumps out as to what it would be. It seems similar to how the MIDI/Media Items on arrange view brighten up and add white border (see first edit), however there isn't any obvious file that stands out that would do this. Maybe it's one of those things where the file isn't there intentionally, so it reverts to the default way to do this... halp, Schwa/WT

Last edited by nait; 12-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #13
nait

Your title says issue resolved.. how did you resolve this? Or did you just resign to not being able to do this?
Old 12-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
mccrabney

hey sorry for the confusion, nait - this has been addressed in the latest prerelease. thanks for all of your thought on this issue.