Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-17-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
tonalstates
Human being with feelings

Default v6.51+dev0317 - March 17 2022

v6.51+dev0317 - March 17 2022
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer pitch detection
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer user-defined tags
  • * Includes feature branch: improved peak building
  • * Includes feature branch: FX chain oversampling
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + Media item lanes: option "New recording that overlaps existing media items" > "Creates new media items" is now "Creates new media items in fixed lanes"
  • # Media item lanes: add actions, media item mouse modifiers to play only the lane under the mouse
  • # Media item lanes: draw not-playing lane backgrounds dimmed
  • # Media item lanes: rationalize some lane sizing issues
  • # Render: improve formatting of loudness statistics graph
  • # macOS: fix enter key in combo boxes running default dialog action
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 04:45 PM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Hey everyone, this is a nifty feature!

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:33 PM   #3
Vagelis

Woohoo amazing update and thanks for the fix too Schwa! Love the new lines in lanes, it's so much easier to separate them now

Btw, I would love and find it useful if lanes had a dedicated context too, It would be nice to click anywhere on a lane to mute or solo it. And it would be also nice if there was some modifier or action to select or remove them :-)
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:36 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

It wouldn't really work to have a mouse modifier context for the lane, since the lane can contain media items or empty space.

However, there are now these actions, and each action also has a corresponding mouse modifier in the media item left-click mouse context.

Item lanes: Play only lane under mouse
Item lanes: Toggle playing only lane under mouse
Item lanes: Play all lanes for track under mouse
Old 03-17-2022, 05:38 PM   #5
bolgwrad

Stats graph is amazing. Hover over the lines!

+ Media item lanes: option "New recording that overlaps existing media items" > "Creates new media items" is now "Creates new media items in fixed lanes"

This is a great multi-take feature. To me it would be even niftier if, supposing you had done one set of takes and then moved to record in an empty section of the same track, the new recorded item defaulted to lane 1 (even though it's already in use earlier in the track).

Last edited by bolgwrad; 03-17-2022 at 05:54 PM. Reason: added 2c worth
bolgwrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:39 PM   #6
ovnis

YEs.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #7
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
It wouldn't really work to have a mouse modifier context for the lane, since the lane can contain media items or empty space.
Make sense hmmm maybe some modifier for fixed lane header to remove lanes?
Even though I guess It could create a mess with the order of lanes, but I think it would be useful if there was another way to remove one or multiple lanes from the lane header

Quote:
However, there are now these actions, and each action also has a corresponding mouse modifier in the media item left-click mouse context.
Yep, i just thought that another context would not burden more the media item modifiers.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #8
Vagelis

Quote:
Nice!!
Old 03-17-2022, 06:13 PM   #9
Vagelis

There is an issue with the new lines and time selection when lanes are muted, it looks like when I move an item inside time selection the lines become semi transparent wherever I move the item. (Or is it intentional?)

EDIΤ: I think it would be better for muted lanes if all the lines were semi transparent.

Last edited by Vagelis; 03-17-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:23 PM   #10
Vagelis

Clicking on another track makes the lines of muted lanes disappear, except inside the time selection. Clicking back on the previous track the lines reappear. Imo it would be better if lines were always visible.

EDIT: Happens also with non muted lanes, but not as with muted.

Last edited by Vagelis; 03-17-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:35 PM   #11
Vagelis

Can't drop items on lane add area from a track without fixed lanes to tracks with fixed lanes.

Old 03-17-2022, 06:53 PM   #12
kindafishy

Seems to be so much more interest in lanes, but can we talk about per-fx OS a little?

I would like to happily report for anyone who may care, that the new Nebula 4.5 release is behaving with per-fx OS options so I can stop bugging about this.

It requires a DAW restart and a reload of the library after setting the per-fx OS option, but it does work unlike before, so... wooohooo!

However, I have noted some odd behaviour. Setting per-fx OS on plugins doesn't take effect until the interface is somehow disengaged/engaged. So, something like clicking on another application, then back on REAPER, or minimizing then restoring REAPER. That will trigger the actual sample rate change.

Easy to reproduce and observe this behaviour by using a tone generator, followed by something that aliases a lot like Decapitator, followed by SPAN. Start at 48 and observe all the aliasing in SPAN when you push the tone up to around 16 kHz just to make it easy to see. Change the per-fx OS to 96. Observe that the aliasing is still there. Trigger the interface to be disengaged/engaged and observe that the aliasing disappears, indicating that the plugin is running at the higher sample rate now.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:52 PM   #13
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
It would be nice to click anywhere on a lane to mute or solo it.
You can do that easily with mouse modifiers if you want to toggle their behavior based on what you're doing at the time.

For example - I set up a toolbar button that toggles (cycle actions) the media item left click mouse modifier from it's default behavior of selecting the item to "play only this lane". So I can quickly click the item to hear just that lane and move from lane to lane that way.

Then I can switch it back to normal when I'm not comping.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:08 PM   #14
daniellumertz

Is it possible to the user set the new lane height ? I would be glad to have it a little smaller here, as I just need to see it for some seconds when I want a new lane and then I go to the mode (ignoring you)
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:31 PM   #15
Pink Wool

I'm sure this is intentional and has been discussed before but why, if I drag a single lane (say lane number 3) to a new track, are 3 lanes created? I would expect that since only a single lane is being imported to a new track, it should only create a single lane, regardless of lane number the item was previously on. Is this related to not being able to "select" lanes?

Last edited by Pink Wool; 03-18-2022 at 12:42 AM. Reason: See below. I was wrong, it's a necessary feature! Sorry!! :)
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 12:09 AM   #16
vitalker

Would be great to be able to drag through lane tabs to solo them like tracks. Also would be nice to hold shift and select all lanes in between like with tracks.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 12:15 AM   #17
vitalker

And don't know why no one didn't ask about it (I did), but the most natural action to create lanes feels drawing items over the filler line, not only dragging items there. Now you have to draw an item and only then move it to a new lane. With this behavior it is possible to draw new item over this filler line and new lane will be added with this new item.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:18 AM   #18
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
I'm sure this is intentional and has been discussed before but why, if I drag a single lane (say lane number 3) to a new track, are 3 lanes created? I would expect that since only a single lane is being imported to a new track, it should only create a single lane, regardless of lane number the item was previously on. Is this related to not being able to "select" lanes?
Did you try to actually move that item? If you put it to lane 1, you'll have only one lane. Not sure what's the problem here.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:21 AM   #19
vitalker

Is it possible to show all the lanes while dragging, no matter which lane is item dragged from? Now dragging from lane 1 won't allow creating a new lane on other track. From lane 2 it will allow to insert upto lane 3 (including filler line) etc.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:40 AM   #20
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Did you try to actually move that item? If you put it to lane 1, you'll have only one lane. Not sure what's the problem here.
I didn't. And I should have! It makes perfect sense now! Thank you for pointing it out!
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 12:46 AM   #21
vitalker

Quote:
I didn't. And I should have! It makes perfect sense now! Thank you for pointing it out!
I think this behavior is the best. If you put the item on lane 1, you'll have only 1 lane and no fixed lanes. On the other hand, I've already written a comment about cons.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:51 AM   #22
Sexan

Can we have some option/way not to remove last empty lane?

The use case are scripts (not sure about further lane development):

I can do SWIPE trick because I'm adding empty item before to the lane and deleting after first copy is made.

But if I move anything around, delete stuff, anything it will trigger refresh. This is much harder or even impossible to solve with hacks because there are 15 edge cases that can occur (opening this "MODE" on other tracks etc, its non defered script).

Global option - Auto Remove last empty lane that is toggle (ON by default) and can be called from scripts?

Thank you

Last edited by Sexan; 03-18-2022 at 01:08 AM.
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:00 AM   #23
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Yes please. But now we need something to delete lanes. I think the space with lane tabs can be used more effective than now.
Old 03-18-2022, 01:17 AM   #24
chmaha

Quote:
Absolutely brilliant! Thanks...
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:29 AM   #25
amagalma

Quote:

Please? Thank you!
Old 03-18-2022, 02:20 AM   #26
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Regression (macOS 12, arm64):

when creating a new script from the Actions window, a .lua file is created even when an EEL2 script is requested via the pop-up menu in the file dialog.

If you provide an .eel extension, an .eel file will be created, but if you provide no extension, .lua is always awarded.
Confirmed that this is not the case under macOS 11 on x64
sockmonkey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:31 AM   #27
chmaha

Actually, the loudness graph doesn't appear to be accurate:

Here's a graph I trust:
https://i.imgur.com/Yf47pv8.png

and here is the REAPER one (problematic areas highlighted in yellow):
https://i.imgur.com/xssqogv.png

EDIT: I've tried multiple files since posting and each REAPER graph shows something decidedly odd. One more as an example:
https://i.imgur.com/AbHG5Pr.png

Last edited by chmaha; 03-18-2022 at 02:38 AM.
chmaha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:46 AM   #28
BirdBird

I know it might be getting annoying to hear this over and over, but please bear with me about it here one last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
You can do that easily with mouse modifiers if you want to toggle their behavior based on what you're doing at the time.

For example - I set up a toolbar button that toggles (cycle actions) the media item left click mouse modifier from it's default behavior of selecting the item to "play only this lane". So I can quickly click the item to hear just that lane and move from lane to lane that way.

Then I can switch it back to normal when I'm not comping.
This is precisely the reason I have been suggesting a new lane state (whether it would be a mute or "audition" mode), the extra layer of control is required to seperate the two distinct behaviours of setting lanes on/off and hearing them in isolation. Without this extra degree of control you would eventually find yourself emulating a poor version of this state with workarounds, which is exactly the sort of workflow you have described above with mouse modifiers, cycle actions and toolbar buttons.
This is why it is a design standard to have a mute/solo or at least 2 degrees of control on pairs of elements that can be layered or can be used in isolation, the extra degree of control is required for a full implementation.

_

Last edited by BirdBird; 03-18-2022 at 02:55 AM.
BirdBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:11 AM   #29
BirdBird

Regarding visuals, while dimming seems to work fine on themes with dark media item peaks, it seems to not work on ones with bright peaks. (perhaps it is something in the rtconfig file that is doing it?)
Here are screenshots with three different themes:

-

A theme color to adjust how much "darkening" is applied over the lanes would also be very welcome if it is possible. Currently I find it a bit too agressive like the track muted background color.

_
BirdBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:28 AM   #30
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBird View Post
Regarding visuals, while dimming seems to work fine on themes with dark media item peaks, it seems to not work on ones with bright peaks. (perhaps it is something in the rtconfig file that is doing it?)

-

A theme color to adjust how much "darkening" is applied over the lanes would also be very welcome if it is possible. Currently I find it a bit too agressive like the track muted background color.

_

OMG I can't even look at those dark muted strips... so disturbing.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 03:56 AM   #31
Phazma

Quote:

Wow having several non consecutive lanes muted looks very busy… and this doesn’t even show how muted lanes and muted tracks look together. I hope this is not how it is going to be in the end.

Wouldn’t it generally make more sense for muted elements to be more transparent/blurred/light/less contrasting etc (you name it) and take a visual backseat compared to more present/contrasting/colored elements which are not muted?

The audible sounds should pop out from the arrange background while the inaudible sounds should kind of blend with it and be barely visible. At least in my personal opinion.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 04:02 AM   #32
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Yep, i just thought having another context would also help not to burden more the media item modifiers since the modifiers is for soloing or muting lanes.
Could be also useful for selecting multiple lanes and remove them. (If multiple selection will be added at some point )

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
Is it possible to the user set the new lane height ?
+1, would be nice if we could drag it from somewhere like normal tracks.

Quote:
I'm sure this is intentional and has been discussed before but why, if I drag a single lane (say lane number 3) to a new track, are 3 lanes created?
There's also an option that you might be interested in preferences/media item lanes/"Allow media items to changes lanes when changing tracks"

Quote:
And don't know why no one didn't ask about it
I mentioned this too quite a few times in the past, also it would be nice if there was an option so we could set lane add area height to the same height as the rest lanes to draw easier on it,

Quote:
But now we need something to delete lanes.
Would love to have a "-" or "x" symbol below lane numbers to remove them with one click.
And actions in lane header to remove soloed or muted lanes.

Quote:
This is precisely the reason I have been suggesting a new lane state (whether it would be a mute or "audition" mode), the extra layer of control is required to seperate the two distinct behaviours of setting lanes on/off and hearing them in isolation
Agreed +1
Old 03-18-2022, 04:17 AM   #33
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Would love to have a "-" or "x" symbol below lane numbers to remove them with one click.
And actions in lane header to remove soloed or muted lanes.
Having said that, a + symbol to add an empty lane below would be nice to have too.

Quote:
I like the way it is, but an option would be nice to have too if there was a way to remove lanes as i mentioned above.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:18 AM   #34
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
Actually, the loudness graph doesn't appear to be accurate:
Ah, this is just an error in how we're outputting the time variable. Fixing!
Old 03-18-2022, 04:24 AM   #35
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Most likely eventually but at this early stage of development we're trying to keep things very simple and take small steps.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:43 AM   #36
Sexan

Quote:
Most likely eventually but at this early stage of development we're trying to keep things very simple and take small steps.
Understood and thank you for all the work!
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:32 AM   #37
Zeno

If fixed item lanes are used for comping, wouldn't it make the most sense to hide the muted items that are in the item lanes when unchecking the fixed item lanes option? Of course, only the muted items that are not freestanding but are in a stack.

This way we could enable fixed item lanes, comp the items, disable fixed item lanes again and have only the comped items visible in the track. It could hardly be simpler and more intuitive - from the user's perspective ofc.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:52 AM   #38
tohubohu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonalstates View Post
v6.51+dev0317 - March 17 2022[*]# Media item lanes: add actions, media item mouse modifiers to play only the lane under the mouse[*]# Media item lanes: draw not-playing lane backgrounds dimmed
With the media item lane, it would make sense that we could have the same option as the volume and pan pre-effect envelope in Preferences/Appearance/Peaks - Waveforms "scale peaks by the pre-volume/pan envelopes" for the take envelope please. Because otherwise those who want to work with the way of the media item lane and without scaling peak could not do it. We would have to use the JS volume which is not practical.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=262629

thank you
tohubohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:54 AM   #39
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
If fixed item lanes are used for comping, wouldn't it make the most sense to hide the muted items that are in the item lanes when unchecking the fixed item lanes option? Of course, only the muted items that are not freestanding but are in a stack.

This way we could enable fixed item lanes, comp the items, disable fixed item lanes again and have only the comped items visible in the track. It could hardly be simpler and more intuitive - from the user's perspective ofc.
I think it makes sense to separate these two things.
Old 03-18-2022, 06:28 AM   #40
bFooz

Quote:
Item lanes: Play only lane under mouse
Item lanes: Toggle playing only lane under mouse
Item lanes: Play all lanes for track under mouse
If lanes are tracks within a track, here maybe the same nomenclature would be good. Meaning terms like solo lane, mute lane, exclusive solo lane.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote