Old 05-28-2023, 01:18 AM   #1
Andreas F
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Virus TI2

Hello,

got a Virus TI2. :-)
Basically, it works fine with Reaper. When using the Viruses USB MIDI, all notes sent by Reaper are absolutely tight with all other MIDI instruments.
In contrast, when I start the Virus Control vst, then every track played with the Virus TI2 seems slightly out ot time. It is only so few that I even can't tell if it's too early or too late, but I notice that it is not in time.

Hence my questions:
Are there any Virus TI2 users here?
Any idea what I can do about this? Optimise timing of the vst? How?
Can I temporarily deactivate the vst? (not remove it, but put it to sleep)

Thanks in advance and kind regards
Andreas
Andreas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 01:43 AM   #2
Andreas F
Human being with feelings

Hello,

to whom it may concern: I solved the timing issues with the Virus TI2 plugin. Well, honestly, it was caused by a user error. :-)

When I migrated my studio from an oldtimer computer system to Reaper this year, I first selected the sound card in the Windows pc. At that time, there had not been a Virus TI2 here, yet. Hence, because there was no ASIO driver with the sound card, I selected WASAPI in Reaper.
So far, everything worked fine. However, I noticed a monitoring delay with MIDI. When I hit a key on the master keyboard the note was playing slightly delayed. This also happened after setting the WASAPI prefs in a way, so that latency was claimed to be 1ms. Still, the MIDI delay was actually higher than 1ms.
Then I got the Virus TI2 and noticed the issues with the plugin mentioned above.

Now, the solution is selecting ASIO with the Virus TI2 as audio device.
Now there is neither MIDI delay, however small, nor is there any timing issue with the Virus plugin.

I must emphasise how important it is to select the ASIO device in Reaper. Because I mainly use external hardware synths I've thought the audio device would not matter when monitoring MIDI. Now I know that it actually does. :-)

Hence, if you notice MIDI delay, then you'll presumably have to select an ASIO device for audio. ;-)

Kind regards
Andreas F

Last edited by Andreas F; 10-29-2023 at 02:20 AM.
Andreas F is offline   Reply With Quote