Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-21-2022, 11:39 AM   #1
mister happy
Human being with feelings

Default Is there a wildcard option for Render Output Directory?

Hi,
I am trying to figure out if it is possible to set up a project template with a generalized Render Output Directory that sends my renders to a "Renders" directory located inside the present Project directory.

I can leave the Paths preferences blank to render to the Project Directory, but I would rather the renders go to nested folder.

I can specify a specific directory in the Render dialog, but the Path is very specific so it would not be suitable for a template.

I am wondering if I can somehow indicate a relative path such as

../renders

In the Render dialog.

The idea is that the renders directory would function much like the Media storage "audio" directory that populates all my projects.

Is it possible? Is there a specific suntax?

Thank you.
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #2
mister happy

I had read the latest REAPER 6.6.8 documentation about Render Output Directory but found no mention of this.

Apparently, you simply add the directory name. For example, I typed renders in the Render Output Directory and rendered a file that was placed in an automatically created directory named render that was placed within the current project directory.

This is ideal.

I also tried ..\render and REAPER rendered the file in the Projects parent directory.

For example; I have twelve project folders that comprise an album of songs. All the project folders are stored within an Album folder. The ..\renders directs all the mix renders to a directory stored in the Album folder alongside all the project directories.

Oh my!
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:02 PM   #3
glide

I'd like to request this feature.

In a project I'm working on, all renders are put in a common directory, before being moved to a final location.

It'd be great to be able to use the $project wildcard in the render 'Directory' field so we can more easily identify which project generated the rendered files. Otherwise, we'd have to manually enter project name for each render.
glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:55 AM   #4
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide View Post
It'd be great to be able to use the $project wildcard in the render 'Directory' field so we can more easily identify which project generated the rendered files. Otherwise, we'd have to manually enter project name for each render.
If you set the common directory in the 'Directory' field, and put "/$project/whatever" in the filename? That'll put a file called "whatever" in a $project sub-directory. Won't it?
Old 04-03-2023, 03:32 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
If you set the common directory in the 'Directory' field, and put "/$project/whatever" in the filename? That'll put a file called "whatever" in a $project sub-directory. Won't it?
Yes, that's correct.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote