Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-20-2023, 04:31 AM   #1
obet1289
Human being with feelings

Default offline/bypass fx or fx chain if dry/wet control hits 0

Hi,

I'm preparing a live show where I play drone sounds and soundscapes. The perceived sound level in the room will be extremely low during the performance. I have a Behringer BCR2000 controller. I want to make the fxs offline which I assigned to each row on the controller when they are not in use. I tried to use the buttons on the controller but the click sounds are too high and disturbing for my performance.

I'm wondering is there a workaround to automate/script global dry/wet knob on the fx chain to trigger the global FX offline state if it hits 0.

Thank you.
obet1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:45 AM   #2
vitalker

Touch some Wet knob -> Param -> Parameter modulation. Here are the settings I've tested with. Perhaps you'd need to adjust it. Now when you have it, you'd need to link all Wet knobs of other FX on this track using same menu, but activating last option (Link from MIDI or FX). Here no need to change settings. Maybe there is some script to make it more comfortable, but I'm not aware of it. You'd have to repeat it for each track, I'm afraid.

vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 06:17 AM   #3
obet1289

Thank you vitalker. I found the right settings after a couple of trial in the Parameter/Modulation Link Window. The workaround for selected fx goes like this;

1) Open Parameter/Modulation Link Window for Bypass
2) Enable Parameter Modulation, leave the fader at the center
3) Enable Link from MIDI or FX Parameter
4) Set (none) to fx wet knob (not wet fader on some fxs)
5) Set Offset: -1
6) Set Scale -100
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2.gif (132.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by obet1289; 05-20-2023 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:29 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obet1289 View Post
Thank you vitalker. I found the right settings after a couple of trial in the Parameter/Modulation Link Window. The workaround for selected fx goes like this;

1) Open Parameter/Modulation Link Window for Bypass
2) Enable Parameter Modulation, leave the fader at the center
3) Enable Link from MIDI or FX Parameter
4) Set Offset: -1
5) Set Scale -100
Are you aware of auto-bypass feature? It's pretty new, but should work well for your case. I thought you just needed to avoid clicks and stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5w8ccn4RTs&t=328s
Old 05-20-2023, 06:56 AM   #5
obet1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Are you aware of auto-bypass feature? It's pretty new, but should work well for your case. I thought you just needed to avoid clicks and stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5w8ccn4RTs&t=328s
Wow. Thank you for this. This is also answered my previous question in the forum.

I will definitely use auto-bypass.

I also need to keep manual control of dry/wet knob. Because it has a great performance capacity in my music.

Besides, when an Fx is bypassed I think there is no harm to show this visually by unchecking the box. This way I can also see the bypass state in the controller.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:57 AM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obet1289 View Post
Wow. Thank you for this. This is also answered my previous question in the forum.

I will definitely use auto-bypass.

I also need to keep manual control of dry/wet knob. Because it has a great performance capacity in my music.

Besides, when an Fx is bypassed I think there is no harm to show this visually by unchecking the box. This way I can also see the bypass state in the controller.
Sure, just remember bypassing/unbypassing takes more time and can be heard in a bad way, if you use time effects like delay, reverb.