Old 06-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #1
Tubeguy
Human being with feelings

Default Good basic compressor ?

I'm looking for basic compressor. Basicattack, tresh, release, level. That's all, no nonsense but good sounding one. I've tried most of the free ones but none suited my ears. The Reacomp is good but not my favorite either. From payed ones I quiet like the Stillwell Bombadier demo, sounds good but the interface, all the knobs and backward rotating att. and release controls drive me nuts.
So basically I'm after a comp that sounds like that but is just classic 3-4 knobs.
....and I don't want Waves, UAD or anything with USB thingy.
Any tips? Thanks
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #2
Regisfofo

You Could try mjuc.

Don't cover all situations but can be really awesome.
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #3
G-Sun

Klanghelm:
- DC8C
- MJUC
Waves
- H-comp
- Scheps channelstrip
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
Adrian Ursu

http://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/tan-free

Not that versatile but is one of the best free compressors. It's one band from the IGS Multicore.
Adrian Ursu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:44 AM   #5
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
I'm looking for basic compressor. Basicattack, tresh, release, level. That's all, no nonsense but good sounding one. I've tried most of the free ones but none suited my ears. The Reacomp is good but not my favorite either. From payed ones I quiet like the Stillwell Bombadier demo, sounds good but the interface, all the knobs and backward rotating att. and release controls drive me nuts.
So basically I'm after a comp that sounds like that but is just classic 3-4 knobs.
Any tips? Thanks
The compressor that I use the most is probably Stillwell Rocket. It's my go-to for vocals, kick and snare. If you are used to 1176-style compressors, the interface is pretty easy to use. The presets are excellent starting points too. It's capable of a lot, thanks to the fast attack times (much faster than a real 1176) and the Impetus control (you can essentially get the sound of driving the input of a real 1176 with this control; so with The Rocket, you have the ability to drive the input WITHOUT getting that natural distortion, since the Impetus control is independent of the input drive).

The Reaper-only license is $25, so for me it's a steal, given how much I use it.

I don't know how you will feel about the GUI. It was easy enough for me, since it's modeled after an 1176, but I can see it being weird for those who aren't familiar with that piece of gear.

Last edited by citizenkeith; 06-21-2018 at 07:21 AM.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
Doc Brown

MJUC.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
DeathByGuitar

Just to be a contrarian, I recommend Sonimus TuCO. It's even on sale right now and has a demo.

https://sonimus.com/products/tuco/
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
Softsynth

Freebies - not all as basic as your request but still simple (others reading this too):
Suggest you get the Tokyo Dawn freebies and MJUC Jr:
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/
https://klanghelm.com/contents/produ...Cjr/MJUCjr.php

In the long run keep an eye out for freebies that were commercial products - and those that go back to being so in some cases!
In the last few months/years. IK Black 76, Focusrite Red, Cakewalk CA-2A have been given away. Those were all worth having. Also try the freebies on CM mag (still available).

Also add a bit of colour with this:
js CompShaper
https://electric-snow.net/plugins/

Last edited by Softsynth; 06-21-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #9
Greedy

http://store.dontcrack.com/product_i...oducts_id=2237

Nomad Bus Driver. Was given away free, may still be able to find it, otherwise $19 at Don't Crack. Simple 1176-style, 4 knobs and the truth.

Last edited by Greedy; 06-21-2018 at 10:20 PM. Reason: removed bad link
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #10
Magicbuss

Quote:
Any tips? Thanks
Klanghelm DC8C in easy mode. All the controls you need and none you dont. Newly updated to version 2 and an excellent swiss army compressor.

$27

P.S. Check out their free 2 knob comp DC1a. Its actually pretty versatile considering the limited control set and of course it also sounds great.

Last edited by Magicbuss; 06-21-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
Bri1
Banned

ey-there's a whole bunch to choose from reavst,vst,jsfx w/e-surprised you cannot find at least 1 to suite taste..? wut
users of reaper are quick to recommend 3rd party effects/tools-- this is kinda saying "reaper is not able or capable of doing this,or that"...
hmm...sigh.. :/
why?
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
ey-there's a whole bunch to choose from reavst,vst,jsfx w/e-surprised you cannot find at least 1 to suite taste..? wut
users of reaper are quick to recommend 3rd party effects/tools-- this is kinda saying "reaper is not able or capable of doing this,or that"...
hmm...sigh.. :/
why?
OP wanted suggestions other than reacomp, and sounds like he's likely tried the other ones. Sometimes it's nice to have a simple plug with a pretty gui.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Sometimes it's nice to have a simple plug with a pretty gui.

ohhh-lol that's it. looks are important over function?
do not get the 'sound' bit-- which compressors create sound-=do not know.. >(there is a way to make this happen though )
the plugs can all have gui disabled to text ui in reaper?--function over form.><?

does it not make more sense if cockos are actually creating these things and gaining the 'profits' of their creations?!!
wut!
Old 06-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
Greedy

Not exactly sure what you're saying, but a well designed gui can make function easier. Just because something looks good doesn't mean it sounds bad. I don't think anyone is saying Cockos/JS vsts are inferior, but the OP wanted suggestions for something else. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #15
michaeltonight

There are many good suggestions here, and I would add that Toneboosters make several great compressors that aren't too pricey, and all of their plugins are great and a great bargain IMHO. I have all the Stillwell, Klangelm, and these, and love them all. I'm also a big FabFilter fan, but those are a little spendy, and as such I figure you're not looking at those.

https://www.toneboosters.com/
michaeltonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #16
Niowiad

Another vote for the DC8C. Outstanding and underrated. Very inexpensve (around $25)

It gives you few big knobs for the most important parameters in Easy-mode.
It provides versatility for usage as a clean compressor or a character compressor.

Then when you feel like you want to go deeper, the Expert-mode is available and well worth exploring.

Other stuff...
- Resizeable GUI
- Automatic Gain Compensation
- Realtime/Offline oversampling options
- A/B comparison
- External sidechain

Last edited by Niowiad; 06-21-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Niowiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Not exactly sure what you're saying,.

lol--let's reaphrase!
"what exactely is fabfiltyer doing that any jsfx or reaplug is not?"
aside from looks-whytfok are people constantly searching outside sources of tools for a programme that can 'apparently' do most of what the others do not?

don't get it at all.. seems no love for the daw or tools in use_ > *get yr fixes elsewhere* and import stuffs that may fukup at any moment which cockos have 0 control over=stooopidz.badly behaved plugs are a real problem for reaper users apparently m8....why keep putting it there?=stoopidz.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #18
JamesPeters

When you say you've tried "most of the free ones" do you mean the JS ones included in Reaper? A bunch of them are quite good, and they have different features depending on the one you pick (sidechain or not, filter, decay shape, and so on). And a number of them are quite simple with only a few faders.

If you want a UI "that looks expensive" though, I have no advice to offer, sorry.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
citizenkeith

Speaking of JS plugins, try Humble:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=142863

Note that the download link was updated in a new post made last week.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #20
jerome_oneil

For transparency, Reacomp.

For "crush your soul into a crumbling pile of noise", Molot.

https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/molot/
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #21
AndreiT

Try this : https://audiotools.se/downloads/leveling-tool/

It's free and I like how it sounds.
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #22
citizenkeith

Quote:
From payed ones I quiet like the Stillwell Bombadier demo, sounds good but the interface, all the knobs and backward rotating att. and release controls drive me nuts.
If you like the sound of Bombardier but hate the GUI, why not try turning the GUI off and using Reaper’s generic interface?
Old 06-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #23
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
If you like the sound of Bombardier but hate the GUI, why not try turning the GUI off and using Reaper’s generic interface?

^xactly^ set controls to show on tracks-= bishbashboshloadsadosh.
think bombardier was+still is a really impressive compressor on inspection =not too shabby--BUT- again,that was 'created' by da soopa doopa faabo daabo scott stillwell...right? not cockos.. if in fact---1 does count how many actual plugs+ jsfx cockos have coded themselves_>then check the dates of creations..heh.
kachingo a gogo.yeah bro.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #24
Tubeguy

Just to clarify, I'm not after nice gui, I'm after particular tone. Like I said the Bombardier has it but has too many controls and I can't help my self not to keeping tweaking them. Yes I'm one of those people :-) so basic gui will limit me.
Reacomp is good yes but as someone here mentioned, it is transparent. For me it's too transparent.
Thanks for the suggestions, I've tried quiet few of them but some not so will do so.
And why am I after a particular sound... I like to record 60's rockabilly. It is very hard to get anything that is geared toward that. Vintage plugins often do sound "vintage" but nothing like the old recordings of rockabilly or surf. Suitable guitars/amps I have but my vintage hardware is limited so looking if I can achieve it with plugins.
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #25
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Reacomp is good yes but as someone here mentioned, it is transparent. For me it's too transparent.
Then you really should look at Molot. There is absolutely nothing transparent about it. Apparently it means "hammer" in Russian and is the most aptly named VST I've used. It looks and sounds like it came off of a cold war era Soviet tank.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #26
jerome_oneil

Oh yeah. Do you have a reference track or something that might better demonstrate the tone you're looking for?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #27
citizenkeith

Quote:
Just to clarify, I'm not after nice gui, I'm after particular tone. Like I said the Bombardier has it but has too many controls and I can't help my self not to keeping tweaking them. Yes I'm one of those people :-) so basic gui will limit me.
Thanks for the suggestions, I've tried quiet few of them but some not so will do so.
And why am I after a particular sound... I like to record 60's rockabilly. It is very hard to get anything that is geared toward that. Vintage plugins often do sound "vintage" but nothing like the old recordings of rockabilly or surf. Suitable guitars/amps I have but my vintage hardware is limited so looking if I can achieve it with plugins.
For vintage rockabilly/surf... tape drive (Toneboosters Ferrox is good, and has some nice compression functions) , MJUC and/or 1176-style compressor. Molot is great for that too.

Also... Klanghelm’s DC1A is free, simple and could be an excellent choice for your needs. I use it a lot when I need something simple with character.

Last edited by citizenkeith; 06-21-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #28
citizenkeith

Another thought... a Joe Meek hardware compressor?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #29
mschnell

"basic" usually means "especially easy to use for exactly the purpose I need it for right now".

Depending on that purpose this often translates to "expensive" and/or "hard to find".

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #30
drichard

If you can't find a good sounding free compressor, you haven't tried hard enough. For example, Vladg's Molot is very nice, and it's free.

If I had to recommend an excellent inexpensive compressor that can do it all, Klanghelm's DC8C3 is among the best. The free version, DC11A 2 is simple and useful.

Quote:
Any tips? Thanks
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #31
drichard

Seconded. Very cool compressor. But it can be somewhat subtle when it needs to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Then you really should look at Molot. There is absolutely nothing transparent about it. Apparently it means "hammer" in Russian and is the most aptly named VST I've used. It looks and sounds like it came off of a cold war era Soviet tank.
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #32
Aux13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
If I had to recommend an excellent inexpensive compressor that can do it all, Klanghelm's DC8C3 is among the best. The free version, DC11A 2 is simple and useful.
Agree.
Aux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #33
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy View Post
Nomad Bus Driver. Was given away free, may still be able to find it, otherwise $19 at Don't Crack. Simple 1176-style, 4 knobs and the truth.

$9.99 at KVR

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/bus...-nomad-factory
Exactly how do you get it through KVR? I see no Buy Now button there.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #34
Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Exactly how do you get it through KVR? I see no Buy Now button there.
I don't think you can, my mistake. The KVR link takes you back to the don’t crack site. I edited the earlier post.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #35
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
Another thought... a Joe Meek hardware compressor?
The original ones are getting expensive again these days. So much so that I am considering selling my 19" VC1 Studio Channel. I tend to use the GAP 73 as my go-to preamp & have everything else the VC1 does covered elsewhere, but the pre-chinese manufacture & buy-out units are dead easy to use and certainly give you "that" sound. Even the little half-rack width ones arent bad but if you go for that, the ones with EQ rather than the processor are better in my opinion.

Sorry I cant remember the word for the processor ones. Used to be very popular indeed for replacing lost top and bottom end on tape recordings. Aargh! My brane hurts.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:48 AM   #36
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I like to record 60's rockabilly. It is very hard to get anything that is geared toward that. Vintage plugins often do sound "vintage" but nothing like the old recordings of rockabilly or surf.
koolio-tbh though a compressor of any kind will still not give that 'tonage'-- it's the whole recording chain your after m8.
from picks to tapes to vinyls+ even the clothing worn would have effected it all.
digital days are here m8..
i often wonder if people are going to try and duplicate the shittiest low graded mp3 qaulities we have now in a lot of streams=garbage qaulity,but some great content.

i meant reaper is powerfull enough that you can make your own compressors to taste if you know how to code them=simplex. most don't so they use what is available already-

i also meant if cockos actually put all their attention into modernizing all plugs or making new plugs-with proper focus,they could make the very best-of-the-best!
no others to test.
here's a list of some modern rack extensions-- now,if you had an entry level license for re-- you can try all of these plugs free 30days--whole range to choose from,so knock yourselves out peoples.
if you check re prices and performances v vst--well they speak and tell by using.

smashin it.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:27 AM   #37
Softsynth

Though not a compressor here's a plugin to help you get that Rockabilly sound:
https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=td
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:04 AM   #38
bladerunner

You're just going to get a list of everyone's favourite compressor here.. If I had to choose only one compressor that can be basic or complex when needs be, it would be the classic Blockfish. Simple interface, more complex one underneath and easy to understand and get a great sound from. Can be pretty clean or very dirty and smashed sounding.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:05 AM   #39
numberthirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Though not a compressor here's a plugin to help you get that Rockabilly sound:
https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=td
Along this line...

While I don't want to be a Grinch, compressor isn't really the first place my mind goes when I think "Rockabilly Sound".

Any particular "Why?" a compressor is where the focus is? Did trying one out yield some kind of a "Eureka!" moment?
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:29 AM   #40
OPI

Honestly if you need just a basic compressor, I would just use reacomp.

It has some advanced features of course but you can get away with just using the attack, release, threshold and ratio.

If you wanna fold out some cash, go for h-comp.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote