Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
Robert Randolph
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER sucks, and that's why you'll click this post.

CLICKBAITED, WOOOOO. THE TITLE IS A JOKE

Inspired by one of my friends, who wrote this thread, I thought I'd share my similar experiences.

I'm not "quitting" REAPER, however I have used REAPER significantly less in the last 6 months according to Time Sink. This has been a natural occurrence, but there are some concrete reasons why I believe I've been using REAPER much less lately.
  • Takes - If you're a regular here then you know what I think about the take system. Since that thread some things were improved, but it's still easy to get into a mess that makes you red when you say to a client, "Hold on, I'm not sure what's supposed to be playing here."
  • Scripts - I love REAPER scripts. What I don't like is how often I have to find a script to do a task that's simple in other products, or remember which script I use for X or Y process.
    Yes, this does mean REAPER has a huge edge in the DAW word for complex tasks, but the frequency of simple tasks far outweighs the complex for many of us.
  • Theme - It's easy to find a theme that you can tolerate. Some folks even have themes they love. I have, at best, found a theme that doesn't annoy me too much. Sadly, it's the default theme, but with some glaringly obvious issues fixed. Silly.
  • Text Boxes - REAPER loves text boxes. I don't.
  • Routing - REAPER's routing system is terrible. Once you have a project that's greater than 50 or so tracks, you must relegate the task of routing to some sort of script. Groups, sends, sidechains. It's a nightmare to find what you want in a large project for routing without jumping around to another part of the interface to narrow down what you see. This is one of those things that isn't so bad, until you use another implementation. I won't comment on an upcoming version that may/may not have a feature to improve this... but if it does have it, it's even worse to navigate.
    Sidechain routing is particularly annoying to work with, and riddled with workarounds due to the lack of any basic modulation processing capabilities.
  • Modulation - I think everyone can agree that REAPER's modulation system is in need of overhaul. You can workaround it with some ugly workflows, but even the most basic of traditional modular systems make REAPER's system seem... gross.
  • Helping - I run a music production chat server with 8,000+ users and I'm fairly well known in a number of other large servers, plus a website with a good deal of hits. I get dozens of questions about REAPER every single day. There's always acrobatics necessary to figure out what options a person is using, what scripts they're using, which .xxY version they're using, which theme they're using, what the phase of the moon is, etc... I can answer most questions about every popular DAW on the market, but REAPER is always a hassle unless it's someone just starting out.
  • COCKOS - I love you guys. Thanks for all your hard work.
  • Options - I keep a comprehensive list of my REAPER settings, and I can say for certain that if you sat me down in front of a vanilla REAPER install, it would take me weeks to get it setup in a way that doesn't irritate me. I'm ok when there's a prescribed workflow as offered by other products, and of course this comes with tradeoffs. I feel like REAPER sets you up with "Everything sucks until you fix it".
    It's awesome that REAPER allows you to set things up in a precise manner, however I find that often I'm left to make many either/or decisions that I must weigh against other tradeoffs. Unless you have a fairly simple workflow, you basically have to master the software before you can begin to start beginning to set it up so you can use it. (Yes, I typed that how I wanted.)
  • Whiners - People like me influence the software far too easily. If you can put together a coherent bug report, or feature request then it's likely that you will get priority. My experience, outside the REAPER-sphere, is that this means that certain workflows/bugs get overlooked as they are used/encountered by less experienced or less complex users.
    There's a handful of issues I see repeated about REAPER frequently, and when I respond with, "Write a report" or "Make a feature request", the answer is, "I'm too busy/My english isn't very good/I will just use X instead". It's easy to forget about these people because you never see them on the forum.
  • Instruments - Yep. You don't pay extra for stuff you don't need. That is undoubtedly a strength. However, in this decade nearly every other product has come to include a core set of usable instruments and effects that puts REAPER to absolute shame. I don't care because I have something like 1,750 plugins (ick), but it is the #1 thing I see people complain about.
    And yes, how nice these instruments look does matter.
  • Remote - Reaper has things like WRB, which is neat. However, it's a bit sad when I can load up Pro Tools | Control and use it with REAPER and have a fairly pleasant experience with less effort.
  • Hotkeys - I've written a fairly well-received article/video about how I interact with REAPER using the keyboard, but it's a workaround. REAPER has SO MANY SHORTCUTS. Many of them poorly named, subtly different or completely opaque (i.e. you have no idea what they do until you try them a few times). I think that most folks would consider me a "power user", and I still struggle with REAPER's actions every single day that I use it. There's usually some scenario where I need a slightly different action in a scenario, and... down the rabbit-hole. I don't experience this when using any other product.
  • ReaPack - is awesome. I have absolutely nothing remotely negative to say about this except that it's not part of REAPER. Very few REAPER users "out in the wild" know about it, let alone use it. Some people won't trust it because it's not first-party, or because the setup procedure can be confusing.
  • This Forum - does not have a good reputation, at all. Zealots. Rude. Fanatics. Snobs... and more. I've not once heard someone not involved with this forum say something positive about it. I have felt this way myself a handful of times since becoming a REAPER user, and I strongly felt this way before I used REAPER. The story is completely different when trying to talk about the forum to outsiders. This is a problem, and it will only reduce the quality/quantity of incoming suggestions and bug reports. This, in turn, affects me.
    Even the default tag under users' names is making fun of a user with a completely reasonable request. (and then subsequent threads where making fun of the guy seems to be kosher)
    Anecdotally, I know a VERY popular artist that came here anonymously and was viciously made fun of for asking about how to do something like another DAW. Really unfortunate
  • Navigator - REAPER's navigator sucks. Simple.
  • Monitor FX - This is the only time I'll mention another DAW: Cubase's Control Room. REAPER's Monitor FX pales in comparison, and Cubase's Control Room is an amazing feature for even a serious hobbyist, let alone working professional.
  • Macros - Not keyboard macros. I mean control macros: one knob controls many parameters. Track Controls sorta-kinda work, but they're a pain to setup. RCM can sorta do it. Modulation can kinda do it, if you fuss with it. Meh. Another feature I've come to rely on elsewhere that saves me a lot of time.
  • Sample Browsing - I don't use samples much, but when I do I'm instantly reminded that Windows Explorer or macOS Finder is a better browser than what REAPER offers. I don't think even the most fanatical REAPER user would disagree that this needs significant improvement.
  • NRPN/Sysex - I need NRPN and Sysex writing/editing support. RCM helps a bit, but it's far from user-friendly (and NRPN needs no help making things difficult!).
  • Docking - IIRC REAPER has 16 docking positions. I bet you can't put a window in all 16 in less than... an hour. Hardcore mode: try to do it with REAPER maximized. Best of luck!
    Now the fun part of dealing with windows that show up in your dock when you don't want, and vice versa. I'm sure there's rules to how this works, but it's not documented.
  • Politics - Apparently politics are allowed on the forum. I've avoided trying to write bug reports (as I always search first) a number of times because it's difficult to avoid some random offhand political commentary _even in bug reports_. I'm not interested. Life is hard enough as it is without all the snide negativity being flung around from whatever direction. (The thread I linked at the beginning already has political references in it...)
  • Envelope Points - REAPER's automation system is the best as far as I'm concerned. However, editing envelopes is painful for my shaky hands and slowly failing eyes.
  • Future Looks - If there was a new version coming, that had a new theme. I'd absolutely despise it. In fact, I know almost nobody that would like it. It'd be a running joke outside the forums about how awful it is. If it existed.
  • Apologetics - It is basically impossible to post on this forum with a reasoned request without a choir of 'BUT I THINK IT'S FINE'. I know of no other DAW forum where such anti-progress/anti-change thinking is normalized. Then some of us wonder why there's so many options...

Last edited by Robert Randolph; 12-02-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Robert Randolph

Apocalypse? End of the world? Nah.

Every DAW sucks. They only get better because the developers get feedback from users. I'm sure that whatever program I'm using will annoy me during some project and REAPER will be the saviour, and vice versa. It's bound to happen.

However I'm in the ebb, and not the REAPER flow right now. This is why.

(I hit the 10,500 character limit. That's why this is a second post).

Last edited by Robert Randolph; 12-02-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
[*] This Forum - does not have a good reputation, at all. Zealots. Rude. Fanatics. Snobs... and more. I've not once heard someone not involved with this forum say something positive about it. I have felt this way myself a handful of times since becoming a REAPER user, and I strongly felt this way before I used REAPER. The story is completely different when trying to talk about the forum to outsiders.
The name calling and constant embellishment is bs and serves no useful purpose whatsoever, ever, nada, never. How's that for rude? If you want the forum better, jump in and help people out, explain to them how to accomplish things they don't know and so on - instead of the quarterly 10k word bitch fest.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Breeder

Quote:
Scripts - I love REAPER scripts. What I don't like is how often I have to find a script to do a task that's simple in other products, or remember which script I use for X or Y process.
This is the reason I started to configure custom menus - not to forget things I used and found useful. In the end, I created REAPER ReWorked as a culmination of all the customizations I did. I can tell you I'm pretty satisfied with REAPER ever since I declared the whole configuration finished.

I'm actually doing music when I open REAPER these days. A MIRACLE!
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
SmajjL

⦿ Robert Randolph - Sounds like a vacuum cleaner salesman with a psychology degree.

Last edited by SmajjL; 12-02-2019 at 02:50 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
This is the reason I started to configure custom menus - not to forget things I used and found useful. In the end, I created REAPER ReWorked as a culmination of all the customizations I did. I can tell you I'm pretty satisfied with REAPER ever since I declared the whole configuration finished.

I'm actually doing music when I open REAPER these days. A MIRACLE!
ReWorked is a cool project, and I'm glad you published your work.

However, this does come back to another point I brought up. What if your project becomes more popular than the defaults? That's going to pose a fairly significant problem in culture, user support and put the developers in a strange place if they wish to adopt your work.

If your project becomes popular enough then that would indicate to me that it's possible (again, ReaMenus) to make a fairly significant improvement over the defaults.

But that comes with the pain of changing a lot of documentation, videos, tutorials, posts etc... So it can't be done lightly (or at all?).

It's a really strange spot for the developers to be in, but it is awesome that people like you even have the ability to do something about it.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
nait

I'm fairly left leaning on social issues, but, man, the fact that someone was actually upset by a profile tag (Mortal) is baffling to me. There's certainly a lot worse happening in the world today. Looks like Justin bent on that (which is fine, because that's not a hill worth dying on, really), but I don't know how some people survive in life if that's something that hurts them that deeply.

Also, I haven't been here long enough to get caught up in politics. There are quite a few posters here I really like. I have seen a few such similar posts, and they honestly seem a little too attention-grabbing for me. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I thought I'd comment on the "instruments" point though. For me, it'd be awesome to have some built ins that were really good, but I'd rather too that the developers focus on more important things that we need. There are enough experts in that area, and enough free VSTis to use that I don't really need this, personally. No harm in saying you'd like it though (although your tone throughout is not something that makes me want to put any effort into reading most of your other points).

Really though, you're clearly upset about this product.. I'm not, I am not going to get anything out of this post, but figured I'd comment a couple things anyways.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #8
emanresu

Actually starting with more Instruments would be a good thing. But I'd never ever suggest that the crew would have to spend ANY time to code/fix/update those.
Maybe just ask from some nice plugin developers if they allow to include a few of the essential and free ones with one optional version of the download?

Also, with the 1st demo project that has all those "ready to go".. some music even maybe.

I've recommended Reaper for some. One complete newbie - I had to download Reaper, plugins, copy&paste them, set it all up.. That was waaaay too much work to him to remember and repeat at home. And one Ableton user - he got so annoyed to find everything he needed to make it all work for him in Reaper.

---
About forum issues... gosh. It's a forum, its the Internet.. What are expecting, man?
Old 12-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
Breeder

Quote:
ReWorked is a cool project, and I'm glad you published your work.

However, this does come back to another point I brought up. What if your project becomes more popular than the defaults? That's going to pose a fairly significant problem in culture, user support and put the developers in a strange place if they wish to adopt your work.

If your project becomes popular enough then that would indicate to me that it's possible (again, ReaMenus) to make a fairly significant improvement over the defaults.

But that comes with the pain of changing a lot of documentation, videos, tutorials, posts etc... So it can't be done lightly (or at all?).

It's a really strange spot for the developers to be in, but it is awesome that people like you even have the ability to do something about it.
I look at REAPER as a sort of linux of DAWs - so REAPER ReWorked is something like Ubuntu I guess? Who supports Ubuntu? Linus or Ubuntu authors? So I think the problem of it getting popular is me being in a strange place too. I'm still thinking how to solve documentation side of things and I count on donations/premium content to cover that part over time. But I still need to find a volunteer who would write it - money, or no money - it's a big project to write documentation for and I have my ideas on how to do it in the most elegant fashion.

I bet I'm not the only guy who has contemplated this and I bet we will see more of these in the future. Remember Ultraschall (https://ultraschall.fm/) ? The only problem is that it's in German but that's basically REAPER ReWorked for Podcasters.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #10
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Really though, you're clearly upset about this product.. I'm not, I am not going to get anything out of this post, but figured I'd comment a couple things anyways.
Nah, not upset. It was suggested to me that I write a post about things that I think should be improved about the product, culture and community.

So here we are.

I gush about REAPER enough that I'm basically a meme now in a number of production communities, but as I said... ebb and flow. It's much easier to write these posts in the ebb.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #11
Robert Randolph

Quote:
I look at REAPER as a sort of linux of DAWs - so REAPER ReWorked is something like Ubuntu I guess? Who supports Ubuntu? Linus or Ubuntu authors? So I think the problem of it getting popular is me being in a strange place too. I'm still thinking how to solve documentation side of things and I count on donations/premium content to cover that part over time. But I still need to find a volunteer who would write it - money, or no money - it's a big project to write documentation for and I have my ideas on how to do it in the most elegant fashion.

I bet I'm not the only guy who has contemplated this and I bet we will see more of these in the future. Remember Ultraschall (https://ultraschall.fm/) ? The only problem is that it's in German but that's basically REAPER ReWorked for Podcasters.
It's funny you mention Ultraschall too, because I've twice had an encounter that went similar to this:

"Oh, so you're using REAPER?"

"No, I'm using Ultraschall".

It's hard not to agree with the concept of "Linux of DAWs", but at the same time that doesn't sound like a particularly positive monicker. There's not too many creative-types that finds "Linux of... anything" to be an attractive proposition.

I lost sight of this myself until I began working with video more. I just wanted to 'get stuff done' and I had no interest in fooling with software, options, plugins, manuals etc... I just wanted to plop some clips in a timeline, fix some colours, draw some lines and render. It gave me some renewed perspective on how frustrating it can be when you want to make music, not 'use the software'.

I still lose sight of this sometimes. It's difficult for 'tweaker' type people to fully internalize that idea that some people have zero interest in tweaking or anything similar.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #12
Breeder

Quote:
I still lose sight of this sometimes. It's difficult for 'tweaker' type people to fully internalize that idea that some people have zero interest in tweaking or anything similar.
I personally wanted to be one of those people (non-tweaker) type my whole life Imagine it...you're doing something and something doesn't work and you just accept it and move on - sounds like magic
Old 12-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
Coachz

I don't know about anyone else but first of all click bait is for kids. So is dicking around in Reaper. I use Reaper to make hit albums. I don't know what the rest of you are doing with it. I'm having a blast and Reaper is killing it. Sorry got to go, these hits aren't writing themselves !
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #14
nait

Quote:
Nah, not upset. It was suggested to me that I write a post about things that I think should be improved about the product, culture and community.

So here we are.

I gush about REAPER enough that I'm basically a meme now in a number of production communities, but as I said... ebb and flow. It's much easier to write these posts in the ebb.
All fine... I just dislike the superlatives and these threads do tend to be about attention getting. This product (like any) is not without flaws and complaints should be welcome, when constructive. I hate seeing someone shit all over something the developers put a lot of hard work into, however. Some of your complaints are quite valid, but some are fairly petty or a bit nonsensical (ex. hating a theme before seeing it??) and just seem to serve to make a problem look bigger than it is.

Breeder: great analogy with Linux/Reaper
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
All fine... I just dislike the superlatives and these threads do tend to be about attention getting. This product (like any) is not without flaws and complaints should be welcome, when constructive. I hate seeing someone shit all over something the developers put a lot of hard work into, however. Some of your complaints are quite valid, but some are fairly petty or a bit nonsensical (ex. hating a theme before seeing it??) and just seem to serve to make a problem look bigger than it is.
+1,000,000

It's the appeal to emotion fallacies the bug me, it's never the actual things that are factually wrong or broken.

There are 98k members here, >3000 people online right now but less than 200 are members - napkin math says that at any give time 15% or so of the visitors never reply because they are guests - they read the posts that are helpful and go on about their day making music. Which means the vast majority of people using Reaper aren't replying here.

As someone who has literally thousands of posts directly helping users be successful (minus my lounge days lol), from the hip remarks that it's a terrible place is inaccurate and unwarranted. This is also not the first time the OP used click bait titles to get attention to their rants - IF it is truly that valid, and a true desire to help it needs no such titling and so on.

That said, the member Airon is one of the few who actually get this whole explain and complain methodology right. Most can only dream of providing bug reports and feature requests with the maturity, accuracy and class he does.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-02-2019 at 03:14 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #16
Coachz

Quote:

These threads are started by people who think the DAW is going to make their hit album and they don't need to know musicianship, songwriting, instrumentation, arrangements or marketing.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #17
Robert Randolph

Quote:

I think you've missed some playful humour here. The thread title is making fun of myself (particularly my takes system post).

The theme thing is referring to: "3. DO NOT LINK TO THIS WEB SITE OR ANYTHING ON IT FROM ANYWHERE"

There's a number of other bits in there of me making light of myself or similar. I mean c'mon... "Whiners - People like me influence the software far too easily." I thought clearly this would give away that I'm at least partially self-aware
Old 12-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #18
Lokasenna

I've grown increasingly tired of Reaper for most of the same reasons listed above.

As it happens, I haven't been able to do any music/audio stuff for about a year and finally have my office back, so it might be time to see what color of grass the other pastures have this time of year.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #19
nait

Quote:
I think you've missed some playful humour here. The thread title is making fun of myself (particularly my takes system post).

The theme thing is referring to: "3. DO NOT LINK TO THIS WEB SITE OR ANYTHING ON IT FROM ANYWHERE"

There's a number of other bits in there of me making light of myself or similar. I mean c'mon... "Whiners - People like me influence the software far too easily." I thought clearly this would give away that I'm at least partially self-aware
Well, sarcasm doesn't translate so well on the internet

And re: the last point, I noticed that, but I don't know anything about you, so I wasn't sure if you were joking or just bat shit crazy and like to contradict yourself. :P The sarcasm was also a lot less evident when you mix it with some points that were legit complaints. Again.. internet.. sarcasm.. doesn't always translate so well!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #20
Robert Randolph

Quote:
And re: the last point, I noticed that, but I don't know anything about you, so I wasn't sure if you were joking or just bat shit crazy and like to contradict yourself. :P
Assume both
Old 12-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #21
nait

haha, noted.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #22
vdubreeze

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
These threads are started by people who think the DAW is going to make their hit album and they don't need to know musicianship, songwriting, instrumentation, arrangements or marketing.
This doesn't describe Robert by a looooong shot. Robert writes, what I consider, one of the best DAW user blogs out there, and has been writing extensive and well informed (and even handed) overviews of DAWs and plugins for a long time. And an excellent musician to boot. I hate to say it, but responding in that manner is an example of part of why this forum has the rep he describes. You start with the assumption that he's a dolt and take it from there. It's a real swing-and-a-miss.

Actually, the first thing that occurred to me regarding the forum perception is that I belong to a food coop in Brooklyn (a large and long historied one, often written about). And if you ask anyone who doesn't belong to it what its like you'll get negative responses alluding to elitist leftist attitudes, stubborn hippies and stories of horrendous shopping and work shifts. But if you ask someone who actually belongs to it they'll always say it's terrific, not hippie slanted at all, insanely friendly and not elitist at all. Etc, etc. But no one comes to the coop to interview people the periodic article on it, they always stop people in the neighborhood and get that same ill informed story. I don't think it even matters what the Cockos forums contain for people to have their negative opinions about it.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #23
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
This doesn't describe Robert by a looooong shot. Robert writes, what I consider, one of the best DAW user blogs out there, and has been writing extensive and well informed (and even handed) overviews of DAWs and plugins for a long time. And an excellent musician to boot. I hate to say it, but responding in that manner is an example of part of why this forum has the rep he describes. You start with the assumption that he's a dolt and take it from there. It's a real swing-and-a-miss.

Actually, the first thing that occurred to me regarding the forum perception is that I belong to a food coop in Brooklyn (a large and long historied one, often written about). And if you ask anyone who doesn't belong to it what its like you'll get negative responses alluding to elitist leftist attitudes, stubborn hippies and stories of horrendous shopping and work shifts. But if you ask someone who actually belongs to it they'll always say it's terrific, not hippie slanted at all, insanely friendly and not elitist at all. Etc, etc. But no one comes to the coop to interview people the periodic article on it, they always stop people in the neighborhood and get that same ill informed story. I don't think it even matters what the Cockos forums contain for people to have their negative opinions about it.
If you write a lousy post you get a lousy answer. The thread title was crap to start. I just reread the title and it's really stupid.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #24
Robert Randolph

Quote:
If you write a lousy post you get a lousy answer. The thread title was crap to start. I just reread the title and it's really stupid.
That was the entire point of the title.

It's a joke. I'm making fun of myself.

We have a lot in common, you see? We both think I'm a talentless hack that has nothing useful to say. We could be best friends!
Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #25
Coachz

Quote:
That was the entire point of the title.

It's a joke. I'm making fun of myself.

We have a lot in common, you see? We both think I'm a talentless hack that has nothing useful to say. We could be best friends!
Posts like this clutter up the forum and create confusion. Just scrollback to see. As mentioned above, sarcasm doesn't translate well on the web. Make a serious post and I'll read it. I know you meant well but this is not youtube where stupid titles are the norm.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #26
emanresu

Quote:
Posts like this clutter up the forum and create confusion. Just scrollback to see. As mentioned above, sarcasm doesn't translate well on the web. Make a serious post and I'll read it. I know you meant well but this is not youtube where stupid titles are the norm.
It took me a few years to get this. Write something as a joke and be prepared for.. you know.. anything. With the same reason - there is 0 reason to make generalizations about human beings based on what they write. Unless something about them is confirmed 3 times at least
Old 12-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #27
Breeder

Quote:
or just bat shit crazy and like to contradict yourself. :P
This is the only way to live!
Old 12-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #28
vdubreeze

Quote:
Respectfully, it seems more like you're determined to not get past the title to the post itself. You can say it was an ill advised title and the attempt at humor hurt his point, but to say flatly it's a "lousy post" says more, to me, about the author of this post than the author of that one. Seriously, Robert has been contributing well thought out (and thoughtful) posts here for a long time, and he knows Reaper (and literally most other DAWs) extremely deeply. Whether you agree with him or not is one thing, but you started barking up the wrong tree before reading the post. A good example of why people who find out that coming to the Cockos forums is a necessity for using Reaper sometimes decide to bail.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #29
strachupl

For me there is a problem with GUI and those glitchy white lines, ridiculus contrast, system elements. People complaining but intead of say, OK this shi... looks ugly, agree, I hope it will became normal they put some nonsense like: It looks OK, fresh and appealing or IT MAKES REAPER STABLE AND FAST (wahahah).

Reaper seem to me an experimental program, LinuxDAW, go program your song in bytes. Do mario tune with reasynth. Write a script to select points in few automation lanes. Thanks for encouraging me to write that. I like Reaper I see it a ideal for sound design. Do mechanic actions repetitevly, experiment, do crazy things, no artism, no workflow, no music, sound.

Still I pray for Reaper every day so... [don't hate me (that much)]
strachupl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #30
Coachz

Quote:
Respectfully, it seems more like you're determined to not get past the title to the post itself. You can say it was an ill advised title and the attempt at humor hurt his point, but to say flatly it's a "lousy post" says more, to me, about the author of this post than the author of that one. Seriously, Robert has been contributing well thought out (and thoughtful) posts here for a long time, and he knows Reaper (and literally most other DAWs) extremely deeply. Whether you agree with him or not is one thing, but you started barking up the wrong tree before reading the post. A good example of why people who find out that coming to the Cockos forums is a necessity for using Reaper sometimes decide to bail.
True, I ignored the entire post due to the title and I know his previous work.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #31
nait

Quote:
Luckily, posts titled "Reaper Sucks", etc. and "Reasons i am moving away from REAPER" should keep them sticking around. :P
Old 12-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #32
MRMJP

I don't disagree with most of the original post. This forum can be annoying though, mostly when people that don't fully understand what you're asking for give you a half-assed workaround that doesn't really do the function needed.

Having spent over $1000 on having scripts made, REAPER is still not feasible as an all-in-one mastering DAW for the common or even mildly eager mastering engineer. It's super stable, efficient, and customizable for the actual audio processing, but not finishing the mastering job.

There is a reason why apps like Sequoia, Pyramix, WaveLab, HOFA, and others exist. There is a reason why a number of mastering engineers use REAPER for the initial part of the mastering process, but not the entire process.

REAPER is insanely close to capturing the mastering DAW market by adding a few things mentioned here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209855

It's not going to be solved with scripts, it's only solved via the developers working with a few mastering engineers to dial in these features natively, if they want to go that route, but it's been made clear that they don't.

As WaveLab Pro has finally added better routing to and from the analog mastering chain, I anticipate migrating my entire workflow over there within the next year most likely.

Not that anybody really cares, but it's too bad what REAPER could have become for the mastering community.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #33
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Luckily, posts titled "Reaper Sucks", etc. and "Reasons i am moving away from REAPER" should keep them sticking around. :P
I should have gone with my original title of "Click Here For The Top 10 Reasons Why REAPER Is Actually Dangerous!"

I chickened out.

A better man than me would have had the gumption to do it, but not I.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #34
nait

Quote:
I should have gone with my original title of "Click Here For The Top 10 Reasons Why REAPER Is Actually Dangerous!"

I chickened out.

A better man than me would have had the gumption to do it, but not I.
Brilliant idea! Cockos needs to hire you for marketing and/or rolling out the welcome wagon
Old 12-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #35
Robert Randolph

As per the original topic, I wanted to reiterate that this wasn't some sort of "I'm gonna make a list why reaper sucks and then trash it everywhere and tell everyone I'm quitting" sorta thing.

I could have easily done that on my website and reached many more people than posting on the REAPER forums. I was hoping this would be partially constructive, and partially discussion inducing (agreement and disagreement alike).

If you would have asked me this morning which DAW I used the most I would have said REAPER. I only looked at my time logs out of curiosity to find that REAPER isn't in my top 3 most used audio software tools since June.

Then I decided to take some time and think about how that happened, and why maybe I ended up doing that.

There are reasons, unlisted, that are personal (which you can read about on my site) that impact how I can use REAPER. There are reasons that are purely aesthetic. There's reasons that are probably nonsense.

What I posted is the things that I think are legitimate issues that I've encountered, or encounter daily, with REAPER that I believe have made me click another product when starting a project or needing a quick job done.

Honestly, if I was actively thinking about it... I'd likely be using REAPER 100% of the time. Most of the time, I just grab what I think is going to get the job done with the least resistance and acceptable efficiency for me. I can't even claim that I do that with absolute accuracy either
Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 PM   #36
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
(minus my lounge days lol)
Yeah, I also decided to walk away from that chalupa (the lounge) for the most part.

As for this thread:

I went through the "why can't be Reaper everything I prefer" phase some long years ago and probably annoyed quite a few people along the way. At some point you just have to move on and make music and if a thing is not at the top of your personal preference list, mostly use whatever is in that position and just "keep it moving".

When I stopped using Cubase (way, way back) I didn't feel the need to post a 20 paragraph thesis on the Steinberg forum about why I was walking away from their product. My ego is nowhere near that large to think anyone there would miss me.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #37
mschnell

Quote:
Not one but multiple in very different directions, aimed to distinct groups of users. E.g. "Ultraschall" is targeting a completely different group than "Reworked", and MRMJP would lie to see an even completely other one for mastering purpose.

But otherwise I am fully with you regarding documentation etc.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-02-2019 at 11:45 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #38
mschnell

Quote:
I look at REAPER as a sort of linux of DAWs - so REAPER ReWorked is something like Ubuntu I guess?
This is a great description IMHO.

Moreover there are fully supported payed for Linux distros like Suse.

To me it's astonishing that up til now there are no companies selling "Reaper distributions" (including dedicated documentation, service ...) Cockos does offer an appropriate licensing scheme for such.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-02-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:35 PM   #39
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Having spent over $1000 on having scripts made...
Who did that for you, by what terms of busyness ?

If the result was not according to your expectations, supposedly the agreement about the goal had not been decently elaborated ?!?!?

Maybe doing scripts is just not enough to reach the goal you have in mind, but doing an appropriate Reaper extension might be (see SWS). With a bait of $1000 such might be able to be initiated.

If a Reaper extension is still not enough, it's possible to create a completely dedicated program with it's own completely independent GUI that remote controls the Reaper engine by means of e.g. "Beyond" or "Reapy". (But supposedly $1000 would not be sufficient for a single-customer deal on that).

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-03-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:02 AM   #40
ReaMike

What DAWs are you using the most?
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote