Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 07-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
alnturn
Human being with feelings

Default Sound is Awful; Must Have My Audio Settings Wrong

I bought and downloaded Reaper 4.71 a few days ago and there must be something I am not setting right in Preference/Audio because I can't get it to sound right. I'm on a Mac Pro running 10.8.6. I have looked around in Audio to see where I'm going wrong, but I guess I just don't know enough to figure it out.

I'm attaching two short .wav files from one .wav I brought in through Insert Media File. I attached a Zip file containing Two short Wave files, what it sounds like Quick Time and my other Audio files (Audacity, Wave Tap). The second file is what it sounds like in Reaper, but I guess these short files are too big to go into a zip.

If someone can clue me in on how to set up settings to make it sound right it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip untitled folder.zip (1.17 MB, 121 views)
alnturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

- What is your audio interface make/model?

- What's the format of the files you imported?

- Did you request both a block size and sample rate in Preferences->Audio->Device (don't forget to activate the settings with the checkboxes to the left) in order to send these values to the audio device? Other apps using the interface may change the settings to some unwanted values.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
alnturn

Default Thanks. That solved it.

I went to Preferences/Audio Device Settings. The Request Block Size was at a default setting of 571. First I tried 1000, but it sounded even worse, so I went in the other direction and set it at 10. Then it sounded good.

I have no idea what Requests Block Size means, but at least I know where to put it so an imported .wav file sounds right.

'Ppreciate it.
alnturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
EpicSounds

Block size is the buffer size. How much time the computer is allowed to get the audio in and out of the system.

Usually this is in multiples of 32. 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 and 2048.

Too low and you get crackles, glitches, and stuttering in the audio playback or recordings. Low buffer requires much more CPU. Too high and there is noticeable delay, sound comes out late and you can't monitor in realtime.