Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-12-2019, 06:54 AM   #1
brasyl
Human being with feelings

Default Is my hardware set up right?

Before I move to setting up Reaper, I wanted to see if the equipment I have is set up right.

The equipment I will use is a Roland Juno VS88; a Steinberg UR22 MKII interface; a guitar and a bass and a mic; an amp and 2 speakers. What I will mostly use in projects is the Juno and the mic and the guitar. I will mostly use the Juno for basses and completely for drums. I'm using a Lenovo laptop as the computer.

First, will these components be all I need to produce multi-track songs?

Second, I have it all connected by hooking the usb from Juno to laptop, and a usb from interface to laptop, and of course, 2 lines out of interface to amp to speakers. Is this all I need to do to have it ready for Reaper setup?

Last edited by brasyl; 01-12-2019 at 07:02 AM.
brasyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
domzy

Sounds more or less right, but i'm not familiar with vs88, but the fact that you are connecting it via USB makes me wonder whether it has in-built audio interface facility? If so then you will have to decide how you want to deal with this - you can only use one set of ASIO drivers at a time, so you would have to decide whether to use the roland or the steinberg, unless you wanted to use WASAPI or ASIO4all drivers - or else you will have to switch audio settings mid-project, depending on what you are recording.
Or, if it doesn't have audio and the USB is for MIDI, then you will have to connect the audio out from the roland to the interface.

But, my advice is to just start plugging stuff in and see what works, and get back to the forum if you have a specific issue.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
brasyl

Thanks domzy. I'm going to check into the Juno having its own in-built interface. It's the latest Juno so it might very well. Some videos I watched about the steinberg said they were surprised it offered midi in and out since usb is the way it's gone. But I will need the steinberg inputs for guitar, bass, and vocal tracks... so I'm a bit lost. But thanks so much for your quick reply. Appreciate it.
brasyl is offline   Reply With Quote