Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #41
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Well it works, but I don't know about any claims. I didn't read the site and will remain purposely ignorant of it.

I tried AD2 briefly and got it working, however only as a trial, so I don't know if you'll have problems registering it. As Glen said, when registering/file protection is involved, you might need to do some homework and/or workarounds.
Thanks (and to Glennbo) appreciate the time you took to provide the info and advice!
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:53 PM   #42
babag

as the others have said, wine installed and has worked fine, at least for me. i've run some windows vsts using linvst as well. it's been long enough since i set it up that i remember no details but i'm sure i would remember problems. ubuntu studio 20.04 here.

babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #43
Pinknoise

The new AVLinux using MXLinux as it's base for the new distro is quite neat also, worth a try IMO a lot of video stuff included as well.
http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
Comes with wine installed so for beginers it could be less of a hassle to start with linux.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #44
JamesPeters

I guess that depends on what version of Wine-staging is included.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #45
citizenkeith

I was able to inherit a machine that I will continue to upgrade over the course of the next year or so.

Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
AMD FX 4130 Quad Core Processor
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Firewire PCIe card

The video card was dead, so I added an MSI Geforce GT 730, and replaced the drive with a Samsung 870 EVD SSD.

I'm dual-booting between Windows 10 and Ubuntu Studio 20 with XFCE. Installing Ubuntu Studio now...

This is my third Linux install since Reaper introduced a native app, but I think this time I have a good enough machine to actually do more than small demos.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:11 PM   #46
Glennbo

Up until just a few months ago I was using an Intel i5 750 with 6GB RAM, and was really having no issues performance wise. It was just the i5 750 was so old that Intel will never again do a microcode update for it, and it had security flaws they weren't going to fix.

This user benchmark site shows the i5 is a bit faster than the 4130, but not like gobs faster. You should be able to do a lot with that machine.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...re/2773vsm2420
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #47
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Up until just a few months ago I was using an Intel i5 750 with 6GB RAM, and was really having no issues performance wise. It was just the i5 750 was so old that Intel will never again do a microcode update for it, and it had security flaws they weren't going to fix.

This user benchmark site shows the i5 is a bit faster than the 4130, but not like gobs faster. You should be able to do a lot with that machine.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...re/2773vsm2420

So far so good! I had to upgrade the BIOS before I could install Windows 10. Now it seems to be rockin' fine... I've been playing some Half Life 2 for old times sake.

I'm going to start setting up my REAPER install and plugins over the weekend.

I must say, so far I like Ubuntu Studio with XFCE a lot.
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #48
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
So far so good! I had to upgrade the BIOS before I could install Windows 10. Now it seems to be rockin' fine... I've been playing some Half Life 2 for old times sake.

I'm going to start setting up my REAPER install and plugins over the weekend.

I must say, so far I like Ubuntu Studio with XFCE a lot.
XFCE is a pretty friendly desktop. Without warning her, I switched my wife's machine out from running Windows to running Xubuntu with XFCE while she was at work. I grabbed all her Firefox and Thunderbird data, along with LibreOffice docs, pics, Etc., and set it up in Linux.

When she got home I told her what I'd done, and she looked at me with horror in her eyes. I said, just try it, I have your entire old hard drive in the closet if you absolutely hate it.

A couple of hours later I checked in on her, and she's just cruising along like nothing has changed, emailing her friends, posting stuff on Facebook, Etc. It wasn't until the next day that a question finally popped up and it was about scanning. Once I showed her how to get the document scanner happening, I never heard another peep, and a few days later she said "I think I like Linux better than Windows". Almost identical scenario with my sister going from Windows to Xubuntu with XFCE.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:01 PM   #49
pax-eterna

Well that was a debacle! Linux installers still have a way to go when installing to specific partitions.

There was NO way Manjaro would allow me to install anything without wiping out everything first! All the help I could find about installing to partitions was about dual-booting which I do NOT want!!

So, I have a hard drive partitioned into 2 sections, one is W10, the other is data. All Manjaro would allow is a total wipeout of the entire disk, or when I chose replace it still left a 500mb partition for windows boot loader?!

So I thought I'd try manual, so I set the partition as Fat 32 (as instructed) set mount to /EFI/Boot (I've probs got the syntax wrong there, but it was the exact syntax when I was trying it) as instructed set the boot flag to on as instructed - nothing, the next tab resolutely stayed grey...again the only way I could go forward was to wipe the entire disk or wasted half a gig of space for something I don't want/need.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:32 PM   #50
babag

when i tested and set up my system i tried various things and the only one that sailed through without a hitch was ubuntu studio.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #51
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
when i tested and set up my system i tried various things and the only one that sailed through without a hitch was ubuntu studio.
Thanks, but I'd like to stick with Manjaro with xfce at the mo, it was recommended elsewhere on this forum to me with some pretty good reasons, so for now , yeah, I'd like to at least give it a go