Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 07-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

Default ReaRack3 Modular Synth Development (was 'Using Audio as a Control Signal')

Over on this thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181406 there has been a bit of discussion about using audio channels for communicating control messages. AFAIK there is no standard for this. The first question that arises is should the control signal value be 0 to 1 or -1 to 1?

The advantages of using 0 to 1 is that 0 is the natural 'off' state for an audio signal and, although fairly trivial, the coding is is a bit easier and more intuitive.

The advantages of using -1 to 1 are higher resolution and you can use control signal output directly as sound signal if desired.

Initially I was leaning towards using -1 to 1, but I'm now thinking that 0 to 1 may be the best choice.

I would be interested in hearing opinions as to which method is best and whether there are any precedents that could be learned from?

Last edited by Time Waster; 02-04-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
mschnell

AFAIK; for analog synth there is a standard defining 0..1V so this is consistent to 1.0000 = 0dbV = 1 V, 0 = -inf dBV = 0 V.

With OSC, mostly parameters are encoded 0.0 .. 1.0.

it might be worth considering that in many cases control signals result in exponential effects, coded in dB or volt / octave.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
cyrano

In hardware, I've only seen 0...1 VDC and 0...10 VDC control voltages. 1V for synths and VCA's. 10 V for lighting. There are still some old solutions out there that use 1...2.3 VDC for VCA.

Mind you, that's DC. No negative values. Most audio interfaces can't output DC. The only exception that I know of, is RME's headphone outputs that can really output DC. I've used it with a FF400 and a FF800.

I suspect inside a DAW, you could use negative values. But I can't immediately see an obvious advantage...
Old 07-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Time Waster

The idea is that we would be using the audio routing system for sending control signals within the DAW, in other words, just sending a varying stream of numbers. We would not be converting the the signal to an analog voltage for use with hardware, so that's not really a consideration.

The driver for this is that there is talk about implementing a 'wire' view for audio routing, and for FX, this could be used to emulate a 'patch lead' view for connecting up modules.

What I'm thinking of doing is to provide an option in ReaRack for using audio channels for communicating modulation control signals between modules. My idea is that this could be used either exclusively, or in conjunction with MIDI as the communication protocol. Hence I would like to get some consensus on a standard for using audio in this manner before I start on it.

So far it seems it is more intuitive to use 0 to 1, so I think that's probably the best choice, but I will leave it open for a while for further discussion before I commit to it.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
junh1024

There is a SMPTE LTC reader thingy in your JSFX. If not, see old version here: http://www.1014.org/shiz/code/smpteltcreader
junh1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
Time Waster

DC offset is not the issue. The issue is, do we want to use the full available range of values (-1 to 1) or do we just want to use the positive values?

Another issue is that within the DAW we can use values far in excess of the -1 to 1 range because reaper uses 64 bit for internal processing, whereas the -1 to 1 range is 24 bit, if I understand it correctly. I propose that the comms signal would be hard limited to whatever range we choose, to avoid unexpected behavior.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
The driver for this is that there is talk about implementing a 'wire' view for audio routing,
In fact in the pre-release forum Cockos showed a "proof of concept" implementation of such a "wire view" of the audio routing routing between tracks in Reaper. This provoked excitement of a lot of Reaper users.

Of course it would be viable to extend this alternate view to the routing within an FX chain and hence usable for ReaPack.

Of course it would be viable to extend this alternate view to the Midi routing and hence usable for ReaPack "as it is".

Both is discussed in detail in the pre-release forum and IMHO it's not unlikely that this is going to happen on the long run.

But as Midi routing supposedly will not be ignored, I don't see that this should drive a move of ReaRack's functionality.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-31-2018 at 08:52 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:07 AM   #8
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
The idea is that we would be using the audio routing system for sending control signals within the DAW, in other words, just sending a varying stream of numbers. We would not be converting the the signal to an analog voltage for use with hardware, so that's not really a consideration.
Oops. Sorry. Just disregard the remarks about hardware.

Could an option to send CV to hardware outputs be interesting for some?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 AM   #9
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I think it would be, but there are already MIDI to CV converters for that (hardware) AFAIK. Not sure if you can do that with software? Would need to look at audio outlet specs vs CV specs, but I suspect they would not be compatible
Old 08-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #10
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Oops. Sorry. Just disregard the remarks about hardware.

Hi ! it would be useful but Isn't there plugins for this? i think i have seen, but not in reaper i think
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote