Old 04-28-2020, 10:20 PM   #1
domportera
Human being with feelings

Default OSC MIDI Control Surface for Android

Hey all, I made an open-source control surface app for Android. It communicates to Reaper over LAN. I'd love for others to test it out.

WARNING: This app is under heavy development - the next update will not be compatible with any saved profiles you create. Fortunately you will be able to install this app separately from the old one and manually copy/compare things if you need to maintain a specific setup.

Build Release Download
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2wsyda...Faders_0.6.apk
Hopefully it's not buggy, but please let me know if you run into any problems! Try to break it if you like, and if you do, let me know what and how here or in the repo's issues section.

Copying and pasting from my github repo:

Reaper MIDI OSC Faders - Android

This is my repo for my customizable Reaper OSC MIDI control solution for Android. Built in Unity. All feedback and feature requests are welcome! Currently this only works with Reaper, but I am open to extending it to other DAWs if people request it.

With this you can:
- Control Reaper MIDI wirelessly with your Android device
- Create (a virtually unlimited quantity of) faders
- Create faders that return to their default value when released (like a pitch wheel, but with extra options)
- Map faders to any MIDI control - Pitch, aftertouch, any of the 127 CC channels
- Map each fader to a specific MIDI channel
- Change fader movement smoothness
- Change fader width
- Save profiles of groups of faders with all their parameters
- Use value curves - Linear, Logarithmic, and Exponential (2) control options for each fader
- Change the value range (7-bit or 14-bit) of each control
- All faders and profiles can be named
- Faders can be sorted into an order that suits your needs best
- Use built-in defaults to test controls that are verified to work

All you need to do is:
- Configure Reaper to receive OSC messages
- Make sure both devices (phone and PC) are on the same local wifi network
- Set your IP in-app to your PC's IPv4 address
- Set your port in-app to Reaper's OSC port

Planned features:
- Option for relative fader control, rather than your touch's absolute position
- Custom fader/UI colors
- A proper how-to guide in-app
- An in-app MIDI CC reference list
- Displaying fader value curves on the fader
- A way to import and export user data

Last edited by domportera; 09-28-2021 at 03:55 AM.
domportera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:15 AM   #2
pljones

How does it better TouchOSC for functionality?
pljones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
domportera

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
How does it better TouchOSC for functionality?
I originally made this because I wanted a pitch bend wheel that re-centers itself, something I read wasn't possible with TouchOSC. Then it got a lot bigger and now this whole app exists.

Other than that, I couldn't tell you. I've never used TouchOSC. But it seems to me that this app is much simpler to use. But that's easy to say as the developer ��

Last edited by domportera; 04-30-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:08 AM   #4
domportera

Default Multiple Aspect Ratio Support

Update: support for multiple aspect ratios! This should work and look "good" (it's not the prettiest app) on any Android device
Old 05-01-2020, 04:30 AM   #5
pljones

> pitch bend wheel that re-centers itself,
Ah, yes - TouchOSC does have some severe limitations: the controls are intended to be "dumb" message triggers. Any "intelligence" is managed by the recipient (so, for fly-back, centring, etc, you'd need to do some fancy script work...).
pljones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:26 PM   #6
domportera

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
Ah, yes - TouchOSC does have some severe limitations: the controls are intended to be "dumb" message triggers. Any "intelligence" is managed by the recipient (so, for fly-back, centring, etc, you'd need to do some fancy script work...).
Well fortunate for me I'm dumb enough to try to make them intelligent
Old 05-02-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
Scrumpy Jack

It's been a year (to the day) since the last post in this thread, and this little APK is still one of the most productive music apps on my phone. It's dead simple to set up, works with a stock REAPER install, and the "intelligent" pitchbend comes in handy quite often.

Thanks for sharing (and open sourcing) it, @domportera!
Scrumpy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:53 PM   #8
domportera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumpy Jack View Post
It's been a year (to the day) since the last post in this thread, and this little APK is still one of the most productive music apps on my phone. It's dead simple to set up, works with a stock REAPER install, and the "intelligent" pitchbend comes in handy quite often.

Thanks for sharing (and open sourcing) it, @domportera!
Hey thanks so much!! That makes me happy to hear, I didn't think anyone actually used this thing. How's the latency for you? I was thinking of incorporating a USB option to mitigate latency, because that's been a real buzzkill for me when trying to use it in realtime
Old 06-15-2021, 12:48 AM   #9
domportera

Default USB mode!

actually, I figured out a way to make USB connections work without updating the build at all -

All you need to do is connect your phone to your pc via USB and set the phone's USB mode to "usb tethering" (developer options may need to be enabled)

On Windows (process different on mac and linux), a popup will show asking if you want your device to be discoverable to other devices on the network. I hit yes to be safe but it might not be necessary - the new network is just your android device.

Then I went into the command interface (search CMD in start menu for anyone who doesnt know) and type "ipconfig". There should be a new network - likely the last in the list. The IPv4 of that new network is what you want to put into the app as the IP address, and it should just work

Hopefully this helps with any latency issues anyone faces. I haven't really tested it thoroughly myself to see if there's much advantage, but theoretically there should be.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:02 AM   #10
domportera

Default Resuming development - open to suggestions!

Hey all quick update - I'm resuming development on this with a hope to release on Fdroid (and maybe even the Google Play store too someday) for easy download.

First up is custom colors because the colors are super drab - custom colors on each profile, and a default custom color scheme.

Next up is a way to import and export data

after that will probably be UX stuff. some compatibility improvements and general tune-up for different phone screens. This might also include just changing the layout so your fingers can more easily max out each fader, because on small devices it can be difficult.

It would be great to get a portrait mode in there to allow for more granular control on smaller devices, but for now that might be a stretch goal.

Other than that I'd love to hear any suggestions!
Old 07-04-2021, 03:44 AM   #11
TonE

I posted something in github issue. Thanking you mainly! Thanks also from here, for creating this and sharing.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:27 AM   #12
ivansc

Looking forwar4d to seeing the updates as and when they come! I like your method of laying stuff out way better than TouchOSC.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:33 AM   #13
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by domportera View Post
actually, I figured out a way to make USB connections work without updating the build at all -

All you need to do is connect your phone to your pc via USB and set the phone's USB mode to "usb tethering" (developer options may need to be enabled)
This is amazing - works almost right out of the box. I'm also pretty curious about the updates (but having a breath control slider on the phone is already brilliant, thanks!!)
Old 07-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #14
domportera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
I posted something in github issue. Thanking you mainly! Thanks also from here, for creating this and sharing.
got it, thanks for being my first github issue :')

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Looking forwar4d to seeing the updates as and when they come! I like your method of laying stuff out way better than TouchOSC.
thanks!! it's definitely simpler/less flexible but sometimes that's just what you need

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
This is amazing - works almost right out of the box. I'm also pretty curious about the updates (but having a breath control slider on the phone is already brilliant, thanks!!)
thanks! looking forward to your feedback as you work with it or get updates!

Last edited by domportera; 07-04-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #15
akademie

Hi domportera,
I just quickly tried your "Reaper MIDI OSC Faders" v0.6 on my Android tablet and it works nicely. Good job.

(request):
Please, add the "button" component in addition to faders.

Additional info: Interestingly it cannot be used for standard parameter learning (via Learn...), but works when directly linking to MIDI CCs.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:33 AM   #16
domportera

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hi domportera,
I just quickly tried your "Reaper MIDI OSC Faders" v0.6 on my Android tablet and it works nicely. Good job.

(request):
Please, add the "button" component in addition to faders.

Additional info: Interestingly it cannot be used for standard parameter learning (via Learn...), but works when directly linking to MIDI CCs.
Thanks! Good to hear

Buttons are in the plan! I'll get to it at some point. It would require a pretty big rework. But at some point I think I'd want this to be a total replacement of TouchOSC for Reaper users, so I'm starting to think of those things now.

What would you expect these buttons to do?

Also that's strange that you've had that experience. Every time I've tried MIDI Learn in any VST I've used it's worked. Presumably your track is armed with MIDI Virtual Keyboard as the input? Or are you trying to MIDI Learn in-built Reaper functionality? I've never tested the latter
Old 07-30-2021, 03:35 AM   #17
domportera

Default Development continues!

Also as an aside for everyone, big things are happening in the app development-wise. I've decided to prep it for a full F-Droid and Google Play release, which has raised my standards for quality, multi-device support, and feature set quite a bit. The GitHub has a bunch of commit messages that might show what I've been working on, but as always I'm still open to feature requests!
Old 07-30-2021, 04:26 AM   #18
ivansc

Excellent news! I cant wait to see it become a point & click install!
Old 09-28-2021, 03:53 AM   #19
domportera

Default Update

Hey all just an update - I've been essentially murdered by work the past 2 months but I started working on this again tonight. So don't worry about it being a dead project

Just a warning for people who continue to download this - the next update will not be compatible with your current profiles/configurations. Unfortunately it had to be done in order to future-proof the application and allow it to have a more sound architecture. But I'm hoping the additional features will make up for it!
Old 10-02-2021, 01:21 AM   #20
ivansc

Excellent news!
Old 10-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #21
tweed

superb to hear !!!
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:49 AM   #22
domportera

Default Progress update:

Currently working on a custom OSC feature so you can save/load different OSC message templates depending on the type of message you want to send. there will also be controller templates to come.

I have a fair bit of work ahead of me but I think it's coming together well. Reaper is still the primary focus (all the built-in OSC messages will be Reaper-oriented) but it will also support custom OSC addresses and value ranges to accommodate any OSC sending need that I don't build in myself.

On the bright side, you have a lot to look forward to!

This is turning out to be a pretty vast feature set compared with the original release, and the hopes are that it doesn't feel any more complicated to use. I'm feeling encouraged since the old ugly version surpassed 180 downloads, so there's some kind of demand.

Here are some screenshots to hold you over:

Last edited by domportera; 11-27-2021 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:20 PM   #23
tmm135

Thanks for this, Dom! Great potential. Adding a feature with buttons would be very important to make this more usable (for on/off enable/disable kind of settings). When do you think you could implement that?
tmm135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 02:45 AM   #24
mcconnor

Looks great, hope we can try to put that to work soon...
mcconnor is offline   Reply With Quote