Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
ToneDunce
Human being with feelings

Default "At each loop" preference - realized it might actually be bugged?

When Reaper 3.51 is set to loop-record (as shown in the attached pic), and the "At each loop" media creation preference is on, I get this weird thing where a recording gets an artificial gap right before the loopend.

You can see it very clearly in the pic, happening on every loop cycle in exactly the same place! Now, if that "At each loop" preference for media is off, then it will record correctly all the way. What gives? Anyone know what I might be doing wrong here?

Help, I feel like that "at each loop" feature was invented just for my workflow, and can't use it properly! :-)

PS: If it's any use, the previous version I had before 3.51 had added two gaps in this mode - one as seen in pic, the other by the loopstart. Very strange equal-size gaps.

I am using WaveOut as the audio device (on purpose, the ASIO is taken up by another application), latency = 185ms the default 4 buffers x 1024 and 44100 sampling rate.

ADDED: Changing the buffer setting/latency I am able to alter the size of the inserted gap proportionately. Also it is doing something weird to the ends of the recorded takes at some settings but not at others. When I close my other apps and set Reaper to run in my card's (ESI Juli@) native ASIO driver, the recording seems to occur correctly - no more gaps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper_ problem.jpg (31.1 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by ToneDunce; 05-18-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: (fix attachment)
ToneDunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
ToneDunce
Human being with feelings

Guys, I was testing stuff and was further able to narrow what's happening down to these two conditions:

- Using some other audio driver than lowlatency ASIO
- Using the "Create new files per loop" option in any form

--> Causes recording gaps by the loopend or even loopstart (sometimes), which seem to depend on the latency setting for their size.

So it's not the "At each loop add media to project" preference, but rather the fact that it creates new files per loop that causes the problem here. In fact I can set the pref to "Add media on stop (default" and it works correctly, but as soon as the "New files each cycle" checkbox is ticked, it starts adding the gap even in this default mode.

The OS is XPpro SP2.

One solution for my woes would be if one of the next versions just added a second checkbox-preference that let you "add media each loop", and be able to uncheck the "new file each cycle" option for that. Currently you cannot uncheck it, it's auto part of the recording mode.

Last edited by ToneDunce; 05-20-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: update OS
ToneDunce is offline   Reply With Quote