Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 02-26-2018, 03:14 AM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default Create Multichannel Receives from all Tracks

Pretty much every project I work on these days is in third order Ambisonic format which means most of my tracks use at least 16 audio channels.

One thing I find quite time consuming is creating a new track and adding receives to it from all other tracks. The receives are created only from the first two channels on each sending track and I need to go to each one manually and select all 16 channels, one track at a time. I have to do this every time I add a new track with receives (such as FX busses, stereo decode bus and headphone monitoring busses).

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the receives automatically created with all channels from each sending track? That would be a HUGE workflow improvement.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Philbo King

One possibilty is to create one track with all the desred receives, set up the way you want, then use Duplicate Track. I'm not saying it'll work, but it's worth a try.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:21 AM   #3
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
One possibilty is to create one track with all the desred receives, set up the way you want, then use Duplicate Track. I'm not saying it'll work, but it's worth a try.
Thanks Philbo for taking the time to post your suggestion.

I actually do use that technique sometimes and it is helpful. It works if I want to create things like extra headphone mixes, more FX busses or additional decoding tracks but it has limits.
The most limiting factor there is that I usually create most of my busses early in the mix. Then, as the mix gets more complex, I still have to add a send from each new track to the busses and manually select each one and change them from sending only the first two channels to sending all 16 channels.

I guess the best option would be to have the ability to tell REAPER to always create sends with the full channel count of the track.

In simpler terms, if I drag a send from a 16 channel track to another 16 channel track, I want that send to be 16 channels, not just the first 2 channels.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
Philbo King

Sounds like a job for a script.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
One thing I find quite time consuming is creating a new track and adding receives to it from all other tracks.
I have a script that I use for creating a sub master buss. Basically, create/select the track that will be the buss, click a button and it removes master/parent send for all tracks that aren't "children" of other tracks and reassigns their routing to the selected track.

Seems like what you want could be accomplished in a similar way? The main problem I have is once I do this, new track creation means I need to route the new one and it's easy to forget that this needs to be done after the fact.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
RobinGShore

MPL's "Send tracks" script in Reapack will do what you want, give it a try
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
Dannii

Thanks heaps guys. I've figured out a solution by creating a couple of toolbar buttons, assigning one to copy a send from a selected track and another one to a custom action using ReaConsole to set a selected track to 16 channels and paste the previously copied send into selected tracks.

However, I'll have a look at this. Hopefully it will be a much more elegant solution.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
MPL's "Send tracks" script in Reapack will do what you want, give it a try
Thanks heaps for this. I shall set up ReaPack when I'm back in my studio tomorrow and install this script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Sounds like a job for a script.
Hopefully the one above will do exactly what I need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I have a script that I use for creating a sub master buss. Basically, create/select the track that will be the buss, click a button and it removes master/parent send for all tracks that aren't "children" of other tracks and reassigns their routing to the selected track.

Seems like what you want could be accomplished in a similar way? The main problem I have is once I do this, new track creation means I need to route the new one and it's easy to forget that this needs to be done after the fact.
That sounds like a VERY handy script! That's something I do in pretty much every project.