Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #1
tjw1979
Human being with feelings

Default Recalling difference mixes of same song

Hi all

Forgive my newb question.

So say i finish a mix but decide on some changes and i go in to mix some elements differently.

How do i make several mixes of the same song and be able to recall them all? Is it simply a case of opening up my project, make the chamges and give it a slightly different project name?

What's the easiest way to do this?

Cheers
tjw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
valy

You could:

1. Use SWS Snapshots

2. Use the action "File: Save copy of project as..." and give the project file a name you will be able to recognize later.

I tend to use #2 since Snapshots don't save things like changes in item position.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
serr

I just 'save as' as I go along and add version numbers to the name. Sometimes a short description of a change as well. I put that version number in the file name of the mix renders as I go for reference.

I just open different versions in new tabs and cut/paste between them if I need to go back and grab something.

I haven't bothered with 'template' or snapshot 'features'. Not really sure why I'd want to make extra steps when it's already immediate but I'm simple that way.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
karbomusic

It's built in: File > Save new version of project.

There is SWS snapshots but IME it has some bugs with saving sends et al (and it will totally screw over a project if you hit that bug) so unless all that has been fixed, better to rely on save new version of project.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It's built in: File > Save new version of project.
My issue with this is that it auto-names the new project and puts you in it. It's a minor quibble, but I prefer to give my manual backups (save states) a descriptive name which matches the render I did at that time, so I can more easily get back to a certain version if I need to.

Basically, <song name>.rpp is always my working project file - the one I open when I want to mix.

By using the action I mentioned above, I can save something like <song name>_Effects.rpp but not open it, i.e., I'm still in <song name>.rpp after saving the new version.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valy View Post
My issue with this is that it auto-names the new project and puts you in it. It's a minor quibble, but I prefer to give my manual backups (save states) a descriptive name which matches the render I did at that time, so I can more easily get back to a certain version if I need to.
That's cool. The current numbering works for me luckily. I click new version each time there is some milestone or I'm about to make mix changes I don't know if I'll regret so the sequential numbering combined with modified dates/times work well for me. I also always know the highest number is the latest version - because even if I went back two versions, I'll then click new version again to set the reverted copy as the new latest.

So during the lifetime of a mix, I have a sequential set of milestones as versions I can refer back to (including all the incremental auto-backups in between numbered versions) - There are times I'll break out "version x" into "version x something descriptive" then it starts getting sequentially numbered which I sort of consider as a "fork" of the version it came from. YMMV of course.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-30-2020 at 06:48 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
foxAsteria

I make a habit of mixing down mp3's every time I increment the project version. It's very convenient; there is a double-clickable audio file of the same name associated with every project version.

And if you're forgetful like me, you can combine the two actions into a custom one.

Oh and another convenient part is using the "idle" and "queue" options in the render dialog. This way you can queue up renders to run as a batch "whenever" and the idle option ensures the process will not cripple your computer.

Snapshots is in fact another great option, albeit rather slow for full mixes.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #8
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That's cool. The current numbering works for me luckily. I click new version each time there is some milestone or I'm about to make mix changes I don't know if I'll regret so the sequential numbering combined with modified dates/times work well for me. I also always know the highest number is the latest version - because even if I went back two versions, I'll then click new version again to set the reverted copy as the new latest.

So during the lifetime of a mix, I have a sequential set of milestones as versions I can refer back to (including all the incremental auto-backups in between numbered versions) - There are times I'll break out "version x" into "version x something descriptive" then it starts getting sequentially numbered which I sort of consider as a "fork" of the version it came from. YMMV of course.
Yeah, it's just another way of working. Another reason I use the method I do is that I use MeldaCompare on the mix bus and load renders at each stage of the process so I can flip between them throughout the mix. It helps me notice if I'm getting lost somewhere along the way in the mixing process.

Therefore, it's more beneficial for me to have descriptive names on the files (and thus their associated .rpp backups) for use in that compare plugin.