Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-02-2020, 04:13 AM   #1
philh27
Human being with feelings

Default Migrating everythingReaper related to a new computer

I have a new machine arriving next week and I'm trying to get to grips with moving everything over as painlessly and stress free as possible.

From what I can gather so far, I'll make a new install of Reaper using my existing licence key. Any custom settings such as FX chains, templates etc can be exported to the new computer via the export configuration routine.

But what about non-Reaper plug ins etc? Will they need to be reinstalled one by one?

Also projects. I actually save all projects to an external SSD, so will it be as easy as simply plugging in that SSD to the new machine, or will I need to set that up manually?

And then -thankfully only a small handful- I have my sample libraries to deal with.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.
philh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:11 AM   #2
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by philh27 View Post
But what about non-Reaper plug ins etc? Will they need to be reinstalled one by one?
possibly, it depends on the plugins. If they are just simple .dll they can be moved, but if they have install routines or copy protection you will probably have to re-install them.

Quote:
Also projects. I actually save all projects to an external SSD, so will it be as easy as simply plugging in that SSD to the new machine, or will I need to set that up manually?
should be able to just swap it in with no setup.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
martmix

https://ibb.co/R361wBXquote riginally Posted by philh27 Any custom settings such as FX chains, templates etc can be exported to the new computer via the export configuration routine.

you can also manually copy & paste this folder:

option-(show-reaper-resource-path in-explorer\finder)

Last edited by martmix; 12-02-2020 at 10:21 AM.
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
philh27

Thanks guys. Seems pretty simple.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
nait

Simple for the most part, except installing of your VST plugins that Domzy mentioned. Some of your plugins might be portable (i.e. can just be copied), but some will need to be installed, and that's where it gets to be a bit of a pain. Not difficult, just can be time consuming if you have lots of plugins, especially if you're not sure if it's portable or not.

I just got some new PC parts a few months back, and recently went through the process of re-setting up things. This time around, I went with a portable install of Reaper, as you can at least make one step of the process even easier by doing that. That way you can just copy your whole portable Reaper folder to your new PC/drive and that part is done. Perhaps that's something you might want to think about doing one day too. Doesn't help you right now though, of course.

Also, for a long time now I've had my reaper projects on a different drive than my OS. So, with that, I can reformat windows any time I want, and the projects are untouched on that other drive. That is, so long as all the media associated with them are stored somewhere such as this too - and I do keep that in the project folders too.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 12-02-2020 at 09:11 AM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
martmix

Quote:
Thanks guys. Seems pretty simple.
the folder i pointed you contains all,fx-chain,track template,color-theme..ect
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #7
philh27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
Simple for the most part, except installing of your VST plugins that Domzy mentioned. Some of your plugins might be portable (i.e. can just be copied), but some will need to be installed, and that's where it gets to be a bit of a pain. Not difficult, just can be time consuming if you have lots of plugins, especially if you're not sure if it's portable or not..
Yep, I think Reaper itself and projects will be ok but it is the plug ins I'm dreading! It'll get done, but not without some shouting at the screen, probably. 😉