Old 04-30-2021, 05:46 AM   #1
jmilosich
Human being with feelings

Default Template help

Hi there,

I've got a working template that I've put a great deal of time into. Most of the setting up I've done pertains to the track control panel. Instrument groupings, folders, lots of sends and returns, buses, etc., that are dialed in for mixing a number of pieces with the same ensemble. Keeping that information as a template would save me a TON of time. But is there a way to import or transfer information from the timeline (tempo map and regions) of other already recorded Reaper projects while keeping the track control panel template the same?

Many thanks!
jmilosich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
Philbo King

Tempo maps can be exported and imported as a midi file (.mid).

I'm not sure about regions. Possibly they could be copied from tab to tab.

I'm a bit puzzled you'd want a variable tempo with predefined regions in a project or track template. I'd expect these to be different from project to project.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #3
jmilosich

Default Tempo map .mid

Thanks for the quick reply, Philbo. Would you be able to offer a bit of instruction on how to export the tempo map midi, and how to import it into the project template?

Pardon if I didn't describe my issue clearly. I've got five songs recorded. Five projects, as it were. Each has the same instrumentation. Each song was recorded with basically the same set up regarding mics, placement, amps, recording space, etc. I've mixed one of the projects (songs) to my liking and would like to duplicate that mixing work for the other four which, to your point, all have different tempo maps (and media/sound files, of course). So I would like to proceed in a fashion something like this:

1. Save Project #1
2. Duplicate Project #1
3. Empty duplicate project of all media, but keep mixing info in the Track Control Panel (groupings, sends and returns, fx and settings, etc.)
4. Save that project as "Album Template"
5. Export tempo map of unmixed Project #2 (as midi file?)
6. Import Project #2 tempo map .mid into Album Template
7. Import media/sound files from Project #2 into Album Template (which hosts correct tempo map)
8. Save Project #2 under new project name (keeping project template for the other songs).
9. Enjoy all mixing work in template created from Project #1 (saved as "Album Template) laid onto media and tempo map of Project #2.
10. Repeat steps 5-9 with remaining unmixed Projects #3-5.

The regions wouldn't be hard to enter in manually, so I guess all I need is to find out how to export and import a tempo map. Am I correct that that tempo map .mid would NOT contain any other unnecessary information?

Could you offer a bit of guidance on how to export and import that tempo map .mid?

Again, many, many thanks.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
Philbo King

Ah, that makes sense.

A quick way to pull this off:
Once you have the Album Template saved, set the project setting to Beats (so your tempo changes affect the audio you'll be pasting in), then select and copy all the items from Project #2 into it, being careful to paste with the desired start track selected and the cursor exactly where you want it (where the first item should start).

Save as Project #2_fixed or something.
This should maintain track fx, levels & routing, and the existing regions and tempo map as well.

Repeat for the other projects.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
jmilosich

Default Tempo map help. Thanks, but...

Thanks, Philbo. I may be doing something wrong, but we may still be talking about slightly different items. By Tempo Map, I'm referring not just to the initial meter and tempo of the project, and also not just the map of the sound files. I have a grid in each song, several of which have tempo and meter changes. I've successfully imported the media items from subsequent projects into the Album Template, but following your suggestions (setting the project setting to "beats", and being exact about placement of imported media items and cursor) does not bring with them the grid from the project they came from. That's the biggest issue I'm looking to solve. Is "Tempo Map" the wrong term for what I'm seeking guidance on? I need the grid (with time changes) from new projects to be added into the Album Template. Is there a way to do that? In your first response, you mentioned importing a .mid.

Again, many thanks for your time and (extended) attention.

Last edited by jmilosich; 05-05-2021 at 08:47 AM.