COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 12-14-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Mozartist
Human being with feelings

Default Slight delay when I play - anyone help?

I have Ninjam setup and working fine all except for one thing. When I play a note on my bass/guitar/whatever there is a slight delay to actually hearing it when I am connected to a Ninjam server. The main thing I have found so far is that I seem to need to find a sweet spot in ASIO's main sampling rate bar. I have messed with the setting in small increments and it seems to be best right around 512 or so but still with slight delay. It's enough that I have to play ahead of the metronome ever so slightly in real-time for it to line up with it correctly. Any suggestions?
Mozartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
pljones

Turn of any monitoring source except NINJAM's output (I guess you've done this).

In your ASIO configuration, you want around 64 to 256 samples in your buffer. You should be aiming for under 10ms buffersize.

> ASIO's main sampling rate bar
I take this to mean you're using ASIO4ALL rather than an ASIO driver for a pro sound card. If you can't get better than 512 samples, you're going to suffer from noticable latency.

Suggestion: buy a cheap pro sound card with good ASIO drivers.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #3
Mozartist

Default Oh well

Well I couldn't get it to work on the computer I was working with so I tried my laptop and that worked fine. The 1st computer worked fine on Ninjam before but it is a P3 1GHZ with 512 ram so not the newest of the 3 I have. Laptop is a Core 2 Duo 2ghx with 2gb ram so much more suited for Ninjam I guess. The P3 is my recording system and works fine for everything else except Ninjam.

Anyway I'm happy and jamming was hella fun
Mozartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
pljones

Recording and real-time performance are two completely different uses. For recording, the buffersize should be as large as is efficient. For realtime, it needs to be as small as you can get away with. Larger buffer = less CPU hit. I wouldn't consider running NINJAM on anything under a 2GHz CPU, based on reports I've read.

Good to hear you've got a working set up, though!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
kirbyrock

I'm having the same problem, but I'm a complete newbie so the chances of me understanding the majority of what you say is a bit slim.

By 256 samples in the buffer, do you mean on the bar under Latency Compensation? The delay between what I play and what I hear is a good deal greater than 10ms.
kirbyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
pljones

No, in the ASIO driver configuration.

If you're not using an ASIO driver, switch.

If you don't have an ASIO driver, get ASIO4ALL.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
AndyMc

If you have external fx form the PC and do not plan on using internal fx in either NINJAM or REAPER then just Mute Local Channel.
Before you mute it, set it to 0db then play your guitar and set the level on the guitar until it peaks on the local channel to about -12db.
Now Mute Local and only unmute if you need to readjust your volume.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
kirbyrock

Okay, so I have ASIO4ALL and here's what I did from the Ninjam screen.

Options-->Audio configuration-->Input/Output system:ASIO [ASIO4ALL v2]-->ASIO Configuration.

Then here are my settings. Can someone please help me set them up correctly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Asio.jpg (24.8 KB, 147 views)
Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
pljones

You want much smaller buffers:

Turn down Latency compensation, Kernel buffers and particularly ASIO Buffer Size. If you can get the latter down to 64 without causing crackling, that's probably as good as you need to go. (My PC can't do better than 256 samples.)
Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
AndyMc

Pljones, u know the nvidia driver has possibly better asio and latency than asio4all. just saying cos I see you had one there.

Kirbyrock probs could use the Nvidia driver too but could lose some of his HD features but if his not using them features and just needs to hear sound form his pc and use NINJAM then the nvidia legacy driver might suit better.
Its basically there version of the ac97 audio driver but has Asio which works well.
Its might be possible to just use the asio driver from there install, I'll try it sometime.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
pljones

Andy, it's crap and crashes most of the time. The best (stable) latency it runs at is 1000ms (1 SECOND!).
Old 06-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
AndyMc

Oh, I use it at 16ms and its never crashed but then your machine did have a lot of hassle and bugs and you said you never used a virus checker or anti spyware ever.

So that might have had something to do with you only getting 10000ms and crashing.

Whats needed if you want to try the nvidia ac97 audio driver is the nvidia legacy audio driver. But your audio card needs to be a ac97 compatible.

If your getting crashes on your new machine then are u using the legacy drivers and or it could just need updating. When the legacy drivers were current there was an earlier version of the driver that had bad latency and was buggy, but an update sorted this prob.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
kirbyrock

So, I got macbook pro and tried using ninjam with it, but there is a large delay when I plug my bass into my laptop and play. It's almost a whole second of delay. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Apparently, ASIO4ALL isn't needed on macs (and I tried downloading it and it doesn't work). Can anyone help?