Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
SummerSun
Human being with feelings

Default X64 Help and advice

Greetings this is my first post
Just bought a hp laptop and i'm now trying out reaper

Since it comes with Win 7 64bit I was hoping for some advice on general windows apps like utilities and stuff like should i get the x64 versions or 32bit? Or is there Firefox or Vlc for x64 cos i can't find it? Can you recommend anti spyware anti virus for x64? Also any reliable website for security and general tips for win 7?

Also i'd like some specific reaper advice too
Should i install the x64? the 32bit?
How are you guys doing for vst and vsti? Any advice?

Thanks you
SummerSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
richie43

Fist, welcome to the world of Reaper. You're in for a fun ride.
Ok, to the questions;
I am a big believer in 64bit apps if they exist in a stable form. There is a 64bit Firefox out there, but it is still a beta and has trouble with flash animation, so I don't use that. If you are using the laptop for other things besides a DAW, then a good antivirus is a good idea. But make sure that you turn off any real-time protection when doing audio. And you will get your best audio performance if you also disable your wireless card when doing audio. I use Eset, Nod32 for my AV. It works great with Windows 7 64bit, is super light-weight, and works. I also run MBAM (look it up, it's free) once in a while. It is one of the tools many of the computer pros use to deal with particularly persistent malware. Reaper....
Install both 32 and 64bit Reaper. Use them both and figure out which one works best for you. I have pretty much abandoned 32bit Reaper, everything I need works flawlessly on 64bit. But it did take a few months to figure that out, weeding through vst's, problem solving, etc. If you need the extra horsepower that your 64bit OS offers then start using Reaper 64bit right away. If not, just start learning Reaper and if and when you need 64bit, you will probably know it. I tell people that 32bit everything is becoming old fashioned, so maybe go 64bit anyway.
Post here often, this is a super cool and helpful forum. Often sarcastic and deceptively playful, but very very helpful.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
SummerSun

Thanks richie for the help

I'm trying Reaper on the laptop and with Dusty theme and it's very nice

I'm checking MBAM and it's nice. Yes, I disabled realtime check in microsoft security it's what the laptop has

So when possible always go for x64 versions? Ok, got that! Thanks

What about the reaper's bridge? Is it on automacically if I have Reaper x64? It loads 32bit plugins or I have to go check something in options?
Can you or anyone explain how it works? Thank you

Anyone have any more advice?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
richie43

Bridging should be automatic. But if you have issues with plugins, go ahead and use Reaper 32bit while you learn the software. I would imagine that your projects will be smaller and less resource intensive in the beginning anyway.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
SummerSun

Thank you richie you been a friend

And yes, my projects are always small, one man and guitar and maybe invite someone else a few times

Oh and I like the forum, looks very good!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSun View Post
Thank you richie you been a friend

And yes, my projects are always small, one man and guitar and maybe invite someone else a few times

Oh and I like the forum, looks very good!
Good luck. And ask more questions here, this is a friendly forum.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSun View Post
Then you have no need for Reaper's 64 bit version. It is just likely to cause you problems if you need to use 32 bit plugins, but would give no benefits. (64 bit binaries only allow using more memory compared to 32 bit binaries, and small audio recording based projects won't need that additional memory anyway.)
Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
monolith

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
Fist, welcome to the world of Reaper. You're in for a fun ride.
Ok, to the questions;
I am a big believer in 64bit apps if they exist in a stable form. There is a 64bit Firefox out there, but it is still a beta and has trouble with flash animation, so I don't use that. If you are using the laptop for other things besides a DAW, then a good antivirus is a good idea. But make sure that you turn off any real-time protection when doing audio. And you will get your best audio performance if you also disable your wireless card when doing audio. I use Eset, Nod32 for my AV. It works great with Windows 7 64bit, is super light-weight, and works. I also run MBAM (look it up, it's free) once in a while. It is one of the tools many of the computer pros use to deal with particularly persistent malware. Reaper....
Install both 32 and 64bit Reaper. Use them both and figure out which one works best for you. I have pretty much abandoned 32bit Reaper, everything I need works flawlessly on 64bit. But it did take a few months to figure that out, weeding through vst's, problem solving, etc. If you need the extra horsepower that your 64bit OS offers then start using Reaper 64bit right away. If not, just start learning Reaper and if and when you need 64bit, you will probably know it. I tell people that 32bit everything is becoming old fashioned, so maybe go 64bit anyway.
Post here often, this is a super cool and helpful forum. Often sarcastic and deceptively playful, but very very helpful.
Hey, Richie. Do you have a mental list of the 32bit plugins that had a problem in 64bit reaper? Or, is there a thread that deals with this specifically. Thanks.
monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
richie43

There have been a few threads, I can't link you though. Do a search within the forum (sorry). But realistically the "problem" plugins are going to be somewhat unique to each system, other than the few that are glaring issues. My advice is to try some and if they are buggy with the bridging, find alternates. Or as Xenakios said, don't worry about 64bit Reaper if your projects are smaller anyways. Just install both Reapers and start making music. When an issue arises, check out the forum and invariably it will get sorted out. But for now, 32bit Reaper should be fine, and you will have less problems with plugins. I tend to do pretty intensive projects, and I've also been with Reaper long enough to have gathered the bulk of my working tools and have trashed what I don't need. Just jump in and make music!!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
richie43

Oh, my mental list (slow, eh?)....

Bootsy plugins have always given me some trouble bridging, but I still have some because a few sound S0 good and are THE plugin for the right spot. They are worth buying (but are free!).

I have always had some wonky behavior bridging almost any vsti and have still not figured it out. I have a few 32bit only vsti left in my arsenal, but I just work with them in 32bit Reaper, render out to audio, and start the more intensive stuff in 64bit.

I will post more as they slowly bubble to the top of my goofy brain...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
monolith

Quote:
There have been a few threads, I can't link you though. Do a search within the forum (sorry). But realistically the "problem" plugins are going to be somewhat unique to each system, other than the few that are glaring issues. My advice is to try some and if they are buggy with the bridging, find alternates. Or as Xenakios said, don't worry about 64bit Reaper if your projects are smaller anyways. Just install both Reapers and start making music. When an issue arises, check out the forum and invariably it will get sorted out. But for now, 32bit Reaper should be fine, and you will have less problems with plugins. I tend to do pretty intensive projects, and I've also been with Reaper long enough to have gathered the bulk of my working tools and have trashed what I don't need. Just jump in and make music!!
Thanks, Richie. I'll be importing tracks from a Korg D3200 and we generally use all 32 tracks. Our drummer has a big acoustic kit with electronic pads as well. I believe I will quickly amass quite a few tracks with submixes and buses. I will just have to experiment. I don't want to have to take shortcuts for lack of resources. I just spent a ton of money on cpu and memory.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
richie43

Oh yeah, now I remember you! Brand new "nuclear" computer, right? Then yeah, I would say start figuring out what tools you can use that work with your new monster friend.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
monolith

Quote:
Oh yeah, now I remember you! Brand new "nuclear" computer, right? Then yeah, I would say start figuring out what tools you can use that work with your new monster friend.
Which standard fx plugins do you like that work with 64bit; eq, reverb, delay, compressor/limiter/gate?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
RevG

Hey, Ritchie! Waz up?

FWIW, I have a four year old HP DV9920 with dual core AMD Turion 64 processor running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with 4GB DDR2...running the 64 bit version of Reaper.

I use the stock Rea plugs (which I think are great), the URS suite, the Lexicon Suite for reverbs, NI Guitar Rig 5, the free version of Independence vsti...

Not once have I ever had an issue with plugins...not ever. Just be mindful of where you "park" them and let Reaper scan the appropriate folder (and don't you just love how quickly this thing scans and boots every time you start a session? I could have read the entire "LOTR" trilogy waiting for Cubendo or Sonar to boot sometimes...)

The more I use Reaper, the more I really appreciate its stability. And I just put AC-7 Core on my iPad and OH MY!!!! Let the fun begin!!
RevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith View Post
Which standard fx plugins do you like that work with 64bit; eq, reverb, delay, compressor/limiter/gate?
I love all of the Stillwell plugins, made by Reaper users. Valhalla Room, Valhalla Mod, Valhalla Shimmer, Tonebooster stuff. There are many, and I bet others will chime in with a completely different list. The ones I mentioned are not free, but very good and very affordable. But honestly, I have been using less and less "regular" vst's and have been using the Nebula sample based plugins. They are an intense CPU hog and are not great for work-flow, but I come from years of analog audio, and they are responsible for me having some love for digital audio again! But check out the ones I mentioned, and definitely try the Bootsy/Variety of Sound plugins. They sound amazing and as I said, issues are unique to each system.