Old 11-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
Burts County
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Windows 10

Hi!
Last weekend I downloaded the most recent version of Reaper.
Somehow after that, with Reaper open and working on a project, Reaper stopped working and a message on the screen appears, saying Reaper stopped working. (You can only click OK or the red X on the upper right.

Then it is gone.

If you have saved your project before Reaper stops you can open it after starting Reaper again.

All older versions of Reaper have been deleted, before installing Reaper again.

My audio interface is a Focusrite Scarlett, 2nd gen, deleted all the old drivers and installed the Focusrite driver from here,

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...usrite-Drivers

Works perfectly, as before.

My PC is running on W10, 64 bit, with 256 Gb SSD.
All Windows 10 updates are up to date.

What is going on?

Best regards,
Burts County.
Burts County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:27 AM   #2
ivansc

Sounds like a flaky plugin causing it. Have you installed/used anything new lately?
Old 11-02-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Burts County

Ivan, thank you for your reply.
No, I don't have any plugins installed lately.
I have used VeeAmp (Bass) and Boogex (Guitar)in the earlier versions of Reaper and that did not caused any problems at all.

Best regards,
Burts County.

PS. I tried to attach a screenshot, but at the moment it is not working.
Will try it again later on.

Last edited by Burts County; 11-02-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
Burts County

I have used the uninstall feature on the latest version 5.61, and installed a earlier version, 5.35.
Running perfectly.

Best regards,
Burts County.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
lambdoid

I have the same sound card and I've had nothing but problems since upgrading to Windows 10. Reaper is the only app I'm having problems with. I'm getting constant crashing when deleting tracks. It's definitely a Reaper problem and not a specific plugin. It happens most often when deleting tracks and the problem seems to have started with a recent Reaper upgrade. I had the odd crash before, but it was more sporadic.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
zedhex

Default I have exactly the same issue

This issue has been occurring ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit from Windows 7 (64-bit). When running on Windows 7, Reaper was fine no crashes and no issues. Since upgrading to Windows 10 I regularly have crashes from Reaper.exe.

I am also running focusrite 2i2 3nd gen.

I have reinstalled Reaper, and since that has been occurring, there has been an upgraded version of Reaper (5.75) which I have also installed. But unfortunately, it is still crashing. It seems to occur at random, but it's rare that I can get through a single recording session without a crash - so it's basically making the entire system unusable.

I write software for a day job, and in my business this would be categorised as a P1 error - the highest possible classification of a bug.

Something of interest is that the exception code is c0000005, and almost any error five is usually a permissions issue. I'm going to try running it with admin permissions and see if that makes any difference.

<<<20 minutes later>>>

Nope - no difference:

Faulting application name: reaper.exe, version: 5.7.5.0, time stamp: 0x5a86efde
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.16299.192, time stamp: 0x6dead514
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000367dd
Faulting process id: 0x2690
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3a9ade288e3d5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 7808a2c3-9375-4592-be25-23320ba72284
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I am going to try recording with no plugins/fx... watch this space....

<< 30 mins, and one OS freeze later>>

I think it might be the BIAS amp plugin. I played a track for 25 mins with no plugins running, then switched the BIAS amp plugin on. Within a couple of minutes the entire OS froze.

interesting post - it seems that the BIAS plugin is a bit flaky on Win10:

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-...R-on-Windows10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper-crash.JPG (52.0 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by zedhex; 02-19-2018 at 02:38 PM.
zedhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
ivansc

FWIW I got the freebie version of Bias Amp AND Bias FX lite - both were a bit of a crashfest for me.
Had similar issues in Sonar too.
I have too many other good guitar amp & FX sims to worry about them.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
zedhex

Default Solved!

I think I figured out what the problem was. Like most really quite complex issues, it was a combination of two factors,

Factor 1: I installed my BIAS AMP and BIAS FX plug-ins as freebies which came with my Focusrite interface. They are licensed but under a special deal known as "LE". This seems to be a kind of lightweight permanent licence, but it doesn't give you full access to all parts of the plug-in.

Factor 2: when I first installed Reaper and the Bias plug-ins, this was on Windows 7. After I upgraded to Windows 10, that was when all the crashes started.

It turns out that when I upgraded to Windows, the bias plug-ins thought they had been moved to a new operating system, and so they decided to run in demo mode. However, Reaper continued to run them as if they were licensed. Positive Grid (the manufacturers of the Bias plug-ins), set up their demo mode so that the plug-in stops working after a period of time (I think it's somewhere around 15 to 20 seconds). The problem was that I had already recorded music using the plug-ins which lasted several minutes. When Reaper played this music back, it would work perfectly until the Bias plug-ins timed out in demo mode. Reaper would then crash.

The solution was very simple: open the Bias plug-in, click on the upgrade button and go through the entire licensing process again. My plug-ins are now properly re-licensed on Windows 10, and I have no more crashes in Reaper.

I hope this helps someone else who has been hitting this issue - and it will probably work on other DAWs as well as Reaper.
zedhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:01 AM   #9
speedraver

The error you are seeing is related to memory access going wrong, USUALLY (not always), it results from faulty RAM, especially if you are getting complete OS freezes, which point out to that as well (the most that should happen is that Reaper crashes, it actually never should freeze the OS (did not once for me in 3 years of using Windows 10 x64 with Reaper)). Hence a recommendation, run these tools to check your memory and see if it is somehow faulty:

https://www.techpowerup.com/memtest64/

Run this for at least 24 hours without a break. Does your computer freeze too or does it show errors within the test-program? If so, you know that it is your RAM and you can try to clock it down (maybe getting too hot) or replace it (might simply be faulty).

Good luck :-)
speedraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:30 AM   #10
ivansc

Still wondering what happened to Burt County....