Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
McPBrain
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper hanging for first time....

I've been working on a new project and actually spent several hours on it without issue. Now it seems Reaper wants to hang and emits a popping through my UR824 continuously. I don't seem to be over-taxing the CPU. I'm using the usual effects. The newest thing I'm employing in SD3, but it is a <1Gb kit used only for kick, snare and tom replacement......All I know to do is revert back to SD2 for that purpose and see if the problem quits...... Any one else having SD3/Reaper conpatibility issues?

Thanks

Here is my error log:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 5.7.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5a307ded
Hang Signature: 5a65
Hang Type: 1
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 5a65c356e6be1cf2de4aaac27169e390
Additional Hang Signature 2: 7221
Additional Hang Signature 3: 7221656d5148740f8710a090252777cf
Additional Hang Signature 4: 202d
Additional Hang Signature 5: 202d1731462570bf3438271a174380b7
Additional Hang Signature 6: 2310
Additional Hang Signature 7: 23109be83d17ba47bb27c2c69696973d

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
McPBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
McPBrain

I've spent a fair amount of time with the same project, substituting SD2 for SD3, and nary a problem. I wish I knew if there was a setting or workaround that I'm not aware of that might allow me to use SD3, or if it's a fundamental compatibility issue........ onward....
Old 02-14-2018, 02:14 AM   #3
ivansc

Give us a rundown on your computer, operating system, reaper version etc and of course what audio/MIDI interface you are using.
SD3 does use rather more resources than SD2 just in terms of the actual core program, but I would hope (since I beta tested it extensively) that it is something else causing your problem.
And of coruse do the obvious things like running reaper and resplendence.com`s latency checker at the same time (if you are using a PC) just in case one of those wonderful windows updates added something "interesting" that is affecting your overall performance.

Besides the crash log, are you getting any message window from either reaper or SD3 when the crashes occur? Also did you try using a clean portable install with JUST SD3 scanned into the "new" reaper? It could still be as simple as something silly in your settings, although I doubt it.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
McPBrain

I get a "Reaper has stopped responding" message or something similar - no mention of SD3. Then I close the program. If audio was playing when it crashed, it will continue to make a popping noise. If it crashes while I'm editing or otherwise no audio is playing, I close Reaper and Sound Forge or a re-opened Reaper suddenly loses sight of my interface.

I don't think I've ever updated Windows, as I keep this machine offline. The only thing I've changed recently is some of the suggested "streamlining for DAW" settings which are pretty universally recommended...Mostly (seemingly)superficial visual appearance and sounds.....no deep-diving stuff.

This is as much as I can give you spec-wise. The machine is 5 years old...and my interface is a Steinberg UR824.

Project Studio DAW
- Case: Silent Mid Tower
- Power-Supply: 500w quiet
- Haswell CPU: 4570 @ 3.6GHz (4 thr..
- RAM: 8GB DDR3/1600
- OS drive: 500GB HD
- Audio drive: 1TB HD
- Video: HD4600
- Burner: 24x DVD/RW
- Operating System: Windows 7 x64 Home P..
Old 02-15-2018, 02:00 AM   #5
ivansc

Do that clean portable install give it JUST the path to SD3 and see if the problem persists.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #6
McPBrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Do that clean portable install give it JUST the path to SD3 and see if the problem persists.

I might try that, thanks.

I swapped out SD3 for SD2 in the project and it ran just fine.......So, out of curiosity, I swapped it back to SD3 and experienced no troubles! Bizarre!

Now, when I reverted back to SD3, I left a full blown kit loaded in(actually tried 2-3 kits). The problematic project was using only a Kick - Snare - tom - tom kit. I wonder if the "missing pieces" were somehow confusing things, especially if I had an errant MIDI note trying to trigger a non-existent sample?
Old 02-20-2018, 01:40 AM   #7
ivansc

Shouldnt really have any affect, but who knows? I beta for TT and have never come across anything like this before & dont recall seeing anyone on the betas having it. Might be worth talking to tt - they are generally pretty approachable.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
McPBrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Shouldnt really have any affect, but who knows? I beta for TT and have never come across anything like this before & dont recall seeing anyone on the betas having it. Might be worth talking to tt - they are generally pretty approachable.

Thanks. I posted on their forum and got a reply.....I'm just gonna right it off as a fluke for now.....