Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #41
Uoppi
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquela View Post
Uoppi , i think your windows is crazy with so many changes in paths and configs so reaper gets crazy too.
Do you try rename the files vstplugins64.ini to vstplugins64.iii and the other ini files , so reaper create again the files ?
the vsts with no instalation (just copy the dll) work fine vs the instalation vst (that create more info and install in others paths) .
What do you mean "changes in paths"? There are only two paths: one for VST2 and the other for VST3, and those are what Reaper is set to scan. Clean-reinstalling Reaper (i.e. deleting the Roaming folder too, which by default won't get uninstalled) didn't help.

Last edited by Uoppi; 01-10-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #42
Uoppi

I have no technical expertise to know what this means exactly, but:
1. I open one particular project. Loads up fine.
2. I try to insert an Izotope Ozone 8 VST3 module on a track -> instant crash with a Reaper.exe-related runtime error popup (see attached screenshot!). This can be reproduced each and every time in said project. Doesn't happen with VST2. Reinstalling either Reaper or the Izotope plugins doesn't help anything.
3. I close Reaper and restart to a new project
4. I load the problematic project as a template into the new project (this is something I'm forced to resort to very often, can mess up track timings, doesn't include Master track etc.)
5. I try to reproduce step 2. It doesn't happen anymore: the plugin loads up fine
(Note: Plugins are verified to be scanned with their full names into the .ini file)

FWIW, I just realized Izotope installers install accompanying .dll's into its VST3 folder, some (most/all?) of which share similar names with Izotope VST2 .dlls. This leads to some of the .dll's not being scanned into the .ini by Reaper, because Reaper considers them duplicates. I'm not sure if Reaper is right in doing so or not because the numerical identification after the .dll name is different, i.e. they are different .dlls.

One "remedy" I'll try next is to replace all possible VST3's with VST2's in my projects. (EDIT: Except that I've had VST2's unable to load too...)
Attached Images
File Type: gif Reaper_error.gif (11.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Uoppi; 01-11-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 AM   #43
ivansc

If you could save and post here a copy of the crashlog, it might help.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #44
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Windows error log says Plug & Mix Basspeg crashes as the Runtime error appears. Quite a surprise, because I expected Izotope is to blame.

So, after
1. removing Basspeg from the project,
2. removing the Basspeg .dll from the VST2 folder,
3. doing a rescan in Reaper,
4. verifying all plugins are scanned with their full names in the .ini file,
5. reloading the project: I suddenly get a prompt saying all of the Waves plugins in the project are missing, even though they worked just fine a few minutes before! (EDIT: On another launch, there are now also some Izotope plugins missing)
6. As a side note: I am able to insert the Izotope VST3 plugin now without the Runtime error. But nothing gets the Waves plugins back, apart from some inevitable cut and paste between projects (I can only hope)
EDIT2: When I insert the project as a template to a new project, all plugins are found again, as was expected. But soon this new project may start malfunctioning, and I will need to do the template cat-and-mouse trick once again to make things work for a little while.

It's like this, one random headache after the other. Every f*****g day. As something gets (presumably) fixed, something else that was working gets broken.

BTW: I also tried Reaper as portable install, even with an old version from last March. Didn't fix the incomplete scans.

Last edited by Uoppi; 01-11-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #45
ivansc

Old 10-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #46
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
I was able to pinpoint the issue, which I think is very serious and I'm surprised this has not gathered any responses here:

Very often a plugin is not working (or visible at all in Reaper's FX browser) because the scanned .dll information is only partly scanned into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini.

For example, a line that should read:

iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll=007266E01D6FD101,17 67523396,iZotope DDLY Dynamic Delay (iZotope, Inc.)

is truncated to simply

iZotope_DDLY_Dynamic_Delay.dll=007266E01D6FD101

This can happen with several plugins quite haphazardly, not only with Izotope plugins. And not only vst2's, sometimes it's vst3's.

The DDLY in the above example almost always fails scanning but I've managed to make a backup of a completely scanned line, which I need to manually paste back into the reaper-vstplugins64.ini when it gets corrupted and obviously it's seriously killing my workflow having to quit and restart projects.
I noticed this post since the thread was linked from another more current thread, and also because what you described in this post has some similarity to something I'd dealt with.

I had trouble with Reaper not loading a plugin (Linux Reaper, Linux version of "Signalizer" VST plugin). An entry was created in reaper-vstplugins64.ini for Signalizer which only contained the first string of numbers.

Here's what Justin discovered about it:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=136

It's doubtful that the same thing affects your particular case (or anyone else's case) but it does point in a particular direction: Reaper is providing a hint that it can't load the plugin when it has an "incomplete entry" for the plugin within the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file. And, running Reaper from the command line may produce a report of some value in troubleshooting the issue (as it did in my case).
Old 10-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #47
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I noticed this post since the thread was linked from another more current thread, and also because what you described in this post has some similarity to something I'd dealt with.

I had trouble with Reaper not loading a plugin (Linux Reaper, Linux version of "Signalizer" VST plugin). An entry was created in reaper-vstplugins64.ini for Signalizer which only contained the first string of numbers.

Here's what Justin discovered about it:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=136

It's doubtful that the same thing affects your particular case (or anyone else's case) but it does point in a particular direction: Reaper is providing a hint that it can't load the plugin when it has an "incomplete entry" for the plugin within the reaper-vstplugins64.ini file. And, running Reaper from the command line may produce a report of some value in troubleshooting the issue (as it did in my case).
Hi James,

Thanks for ur post in the other thread I made.

This is the string of vst paths in the exact way they're added to my Reaper:

C:\Program Files\Steinberg;C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files\VSTs;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Guitar Rig 4\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Plug-Ins V10;C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

My izotope vst3's and Melodyne.vst3 are in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and Reaper doesnt load them no matter what. Except Nectar.vst3

Now,

Only if I use the option "auto-detect" Reaper finds them!!

and these are the paths found by the "auto-detect" function:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Why Reaper cannot find these VST3s when I add the path myself "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" in the Preference window??
Instead, it only finds them when I use the option "auto-detect"

I run Reaper from the command line but it didnt come any report.
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:55 AM   #48
ivansc

Hi! Unless you have really got a random scattering of plugins everywhere, can I suggest that you at least try to rationalise your plugin folders a bit? The first thing I noticed is that you have one reference to C:\Program Files\Steinberg, but the second one adds \ Vst Plugins. You only need one reference unless you really do have some vsts in the main steinberg folder. If I were you the FIRST thing I would do is to see if you cant reduce the number of almost identical VST folder references you have. Hard to trouble-shoot when you have so many similar places to look.
And before you tell me you dont want to discuss this, just report a bug to Cockos, we have already established to everyone elses satisfaction that you are experiencing a conflict in your setup, not a bug. Sorry iuf this sounds rude,it isnt meant to be.

FWIW here is mine.

C:\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\SONiVOX;C:\Program Files\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files\Scuffham Amps\S-Gear2;C:\Program Files\Solid State Logic;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Native Instruments\B4 II;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common files\vst3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\iZotope

I know I probably have redundant entries in there too, but this list successfully scans everything I own & works reliably every time, even when stuff is added or removed.
B4II I have on a separate listing because it went obsolete years ago & I wanted a quick easy way to get at it if anything caused it to finally die!

Last edited by ivansc; 10-15-2018 at 02:10 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #49
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hi! Unless you have really got a random scattering of plugins everywhere, can I suggest that you at least try to rationalise your plugin folders a bit? The first thing I noticed is that you have one reference to C:\Program Files\Steinberg, but the second one adds \ Vst Plugins. You only need one reference unless you really do have some vsts in the main steinberg folder. If I were you the FIRST thing I would do is to see if you cant reduce the number of almost identical VST folder references you have. Hard to trouble-shoot when you have so many similar places to look.
And before you tell me you dont want to discuss this, just report a bug to Cockos, we have already established to everyone elses satisfaction that you are experiencing a conflict in your setup, not a bug. Sorry iuf this sounds rude,it isnt meant to be.

FWIW here is mine.

C:\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins;C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\SONiVOX;C:\Program Files\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins;C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit;C:\Program Files\Scuffham Amps\S-Gear2;C:\Program Files\Solid State Logic;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Native Instruments\B4 II;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common files\vst3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3\iZotope

I know I probably have redundant entries in there too, but this list successfully scans everything I own & works reliably every time, even when stuff is added or removed.
B4II I have on a separate listing because it went obsolete years ago & I wanted a quick easy way to get at it if anything caused it to finally die!

Finally someone!

"rationalize ur f%#&%g plugins folders!"...

It may seem too obvious now but I wish I could have received this advice long ago. Otherwise I wouldnt dare to try it.

New users should be aware to keep track of their vsts to avoid headaches and hours of frustration in the future. I've never bother to learn this kind of stuff cuz I didnt think that would be such an issue 9 years later.

I's suggest a small "warning about avoiding scattering vsts paths" section in the manual.

You solved my problem.

My man!

Thank you so much.
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote