Old 10-06-2018, 03:31 AM   #1
InfiniteDimensionality
Human being with feelings

Default Anything triggers (re)save

One thing that really annoys me is that I usually save my product then do some meaningless task for the project but meaningful in some other way.

E.g., I might save the project then realize I need to copy tracks in that project to paste in the project I'm just about to open. This might just take a second or two.

Or I might copy a tracks name, or select a track, unmute it, then play a few seconds of something, etc.

And, then I'll close reaper(I already saved the project manually 5 to 15 seconds seconds ago). And then reaper asks me to save the project... and I'll inevitably will just because she asked. Which, for some large projects or weird stuff, will take many seconds, you know, the things that tick away in life never to return? She should understand that more than anyone because the reaper does'th take'th.

But, I do have a possibly solution that is quick to implement, does not detract for anyone, and solves the problem to 99.99% compliancy standards.

1. Add an option to ignore saving the project on close if the last save was within X seconds. Default X to be 0, which would be the current behavior.

Hence, by default no one is effected by the change.

2. In the code, just keep track of that interval:

LastSaveTime = current.clock();

or whatever, basic profiling like structure.

And if the time of exit is within X seconds of the LastSaveTime then don't save.

Then, I'll I have to do is set X to around 15 seconds and it save me from having to go through 2 saves. It's a nice speed up of 50% on most of my project transitions(which is quite often)... But it better helps with the *annoyance factor* which equates to "All they have to do is add a few lines of code(under 10 I imagine) and it would solve the problem! It's probably actually more frustration than anything, seeing that if I had my own DAW like reaper I could do the changes in around 10-20 seconds and get the benefit immediately, a great return. It would take me around the time one bad closure event to solve almost all future cases!

Unfortunately I've probably wasted about 200 bad closure events worth of time writing this complaint,

Mr. Debbie Downer
InfiniteDimensionality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
ivansc

Er - without looking to check, I am pretty sure you always get the option to say"no" by cancelling Reaper`s request "Save project?"

I have never noticed this being an issue & believe me I do as many "oops better go back and do xxx" as anyone else.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #3
InfiniteDimensionality

The point is not that it allows you to cancel the dialog box, the point is that it pops it up for no reason 99% of the time, for me.

No one is asking for the world to change and confuse you or make your life different or more or less difficult. It is an option, disabled by default, that allows some of us a better work flow so we can get more done in our lives rather than less.

Since it won't effect any user in any sense, no one should be against such a feature except psychos. The only thing that can be said is from the devs since: 1. It takes time to implement(very little for this problem though). 2. It makes the code more complex(very little here but does contribute a minute amount to the code base). 3. Could introduce bugs(very unlikely here since this is a small and simple problem).

So, yeah, you might not have noticed it, but I have... The question is, why do you get to "overrule" my experiences with yours as if mine are not as valid when you really have no chip in the game?

Again, I didn't say you had a problem with it but you implied that I shouldn't have a problem with it because there is an "alternative"(which happens not to be an alternative because the point is that the dialog box pops up in the first place, not that it has a cancel button).... yet I obviously have a problem with it else I wouldn't have put this amount of energy starting this thread.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:40 AM   #4
ivansc

Gosh! I didnt mean to upset you that badly, which I evidently have.

I`ll just go away and hang myself....

Also, if you give me your bank account details I will happily send you a million dollars in compensation for the heartache and suffering my response has obviously caused you.

So sorry.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
SmajjL

Ooops, I.. just re-installed my Wind0ze business fresh and grabbed an older REAPER portable "backup" and I forgot the old backup's preferences was aiming at another drive letter.. (me jumps off the 999.999.725th..aa-a-aa(this will take a while)aa--aa-a-a-aaa-a-a...zzz---aa-a-aaa anyway..
And I for some reason always remove half of REAPER's default toolbar to make room for fun stuff as I prefer saving through the menu in this case, actually.

Ps, just woke up and this is all I have to contribute at this moment and if this is about autosave features or something then I have yet you utilize that function, I seem to be a file-dragger.

Anyway, this thread helped (me) notice an oopsy, so thx thx.
No way!.. that little text from Ivan triggered that, he must be already "worked up" in frustration of what Infinite is trying to solve/do.

Last edited by SmajjL; 10-08-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: It was Logitech's fault.. .. :)
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Gosh! I didnt mean to upset you that badly, which I evidently have.

I`ll just go away and hang myself....

Also, if you give me your bank account details I will happily send you a million dollars in compensation for the heartache and suffering my response has obviously caused you.

So sorry.
Lol, no, I'm just saying that your experiences are not mine. I don't see why you think that because it doesn't bother you it surely shouldn't bother me and also that adding such a feature that saves me don't and won't effect you is a bad idea(not that you necessarily said/implied that).

Remember, you commented on "my" thread... rather than the other way around making me defend my position.

Remember, everyone has totally different experiences and understanding of the world. My workflow in reaper is probably different from yours and so issues that you might not experience I might experience much more.

I routinely save by hand because I hate losing work. I'm always pressing Ctrl-S at moments when I feel the project is in a spot of safety and when I've made progress(doesn't even have to be significant). I do this not just because of reaper but because of experiences in other apps too. Reaper used to crash on me a lot too so I got in the habit... which is a good habit.

But reaper is very sensitive to changes. It's like if one clicks on the title bar of the app it marks the project as modified. If one coughs, it' marks it, etc. Since these types of changes in modification are unnecessary they produce an unnecessary save dialog. When seconds count, you don't want to be minutes away.

This can also cause huge time delays. E.g., if you go open a project, then run off thinking it was going to load only to come back to a save dialog.

The point of all this is that it can easily be avoided by a few lines a code and there is really no *good* reason(if there is, then let it be known) why it shouldn't be implemented. if anyone would have some reason it would be the devs since any opt out by default added feature shouldn't effect(assuming good coding) anyone, by default.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Ooops, I.. just re-installed my Wind0ze business fresh and grabbed an older REAPER portable "backup" and I forgot the old backup's preferences was aiming at another drive letter.. (me jumps off the 999.999.725th..aa-a-aa(this will take a while)aa--aa-a-a-aaa-a-a...zzz---aa-a-aaa anyway..
And I for some reason always remove half of REAPER's default toolbar to make room for fun stuff as I prefer saving through the menu in this case, actually.

Ps, just woke up and this is all I have to contribute at this moment and if this is about autosave features or something then I have yet you utilize that function, I seem to be a file-dragger.

Anyway, this thread helped (me) notice an oopsy, so thx thx.
No way!.. that little text from Ivan triggered that, he must be already "worked up" in frustration of what Infinite is trying to solve/do.

Not sure what you are talking about but this isn't about autosave. I always autosave and have billions of rpp-bak files ;/ I might end up leaving a project open on the computer over night(one that might be 10MB rpp file). My autosave is set at 5 min(hence I waste around 2MB/m or 120MB/hr).

I got in this habit because reaper used to crash or just have major problems and out of frustration of losing lots of work I set it real low.

But you did trigger a new feature related to this one: Autosave shouldn't save if the project isn't modified! (maybe it does this now or always has?)

This feature is simply about not marking a project modified if the modification occurs with a few seconds of the last save. This reduces the "do you want to save modified project" dialog from popping up unexpectedly.

These two new modifications would go hand in hand though(99% same code).
Old 10-09-2018, 01:01 AM   #8
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDimensionality View Post
Lol, no, I'm just saying that your experiences are not mine.
Your experience is starting to get me scratching my head even more now you have amplified on what you do re the old control-s.

Just had a play with reaper & in MY setup, if I make a save for whatever reason and then close the project without making any other changes, I never ever get the "save project? Y/N" window.
Assuming I HAVE understood what your problem is, I wonder what I have set differently to you?

Can`t think of anything off hand, but in spite of this being *your thread* (shades of Monty Python!) I would have thought anything that led to an exploration of why there are differences between your experience and someone else`s can only help.
But if you like, I will bow out & see if anyone else can help.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:22 AM   #9
InfiniteDimensionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Your experience is starting to get me scratching my head even more now you have amplified on what you do re the old control-s.

Just had a play with reaper & in MY setup, if I make a save for whatever reason and then close the project without making any other changes, I never ever get the "save project? Y/N" window.
Assuming I HAVE understood what your problem is, I wonder what I have set differently to you?

Can`t think of anything off hand, but in spite of this being *your thread* (shades of Monty Python!) I would have thought anything that led to an exploration of why there are differences between your experience and someone else`s can only help.
But if you like, I will bow out & see if anyone else can help.
I think you fail to realize how vastly different people are and how they see/understand the world. We may all seem similar and do similar things but that is a facade. There has been countless psych experiments showing just how different people really are. When you throw the butterfly effect in the mix only then can you grasp the true complexity. The point is, if people are so different then surely their approaches to skinning the cat will be different. No one singular way is best, definitely not mine and definitely not yours.