Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #41
b0b0
Banned

5.01 Downloaded and installed in 30 seconds. I timed it. Plain simple install. Win7 x64
b0b0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #42
BobF
Human being with feelings

Reaper installs very quickly for me. Win8.1, Defender and all. ~15-20 secs for a portable install
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #43
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
BTW, mixing this in with this thread is inappropriate.
People are angry and they say stuff they don't think ahead because they're frustrated.

Doesn't make it appropriate though, but understandable.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #44
SmajjL

Bothers me that I can't reproduce this on 10-Home x64 what ever I try.
Tryed to turn off UAC even just because I figure that some might still do that for some reason.
I am representing a user of a fresh install though and I can install portable and non-portable, np.
Justin does not look amused by this at all.. hope it gets solved before Xmas.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #45
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
People are angry and they say stuff they don't think ahead because they're frustrated.

Doesn't make it appropriate though, but understandable.
Worse still is when it's appropriate criticism at inappropriate times
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #46
sveinpetter

Installing on 7 sec, 4 sec from install button.
Win 8.1
sveinpetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #47
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Worse still is when it's appropriate criticism at inappropriate times
And if I didn't miss it we still don't know if the OPs file props showed blocked? Seriously, not knowing just causes more people to have issues, not know, grow frustrated and make anecdotal claims that help no one. If we spend this many cycles posting, we can properly troubleshoot, that's the real way to make this a future non-issue.

If it did show blocked, I'd want to know which browser it was downloaded with because that would be a case of a zone flag not being set properly or based on just how it was downloaded when crossing the barrier from the internet zone to the local machine zone and that is well, important to know.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #48
ed209

For the record, I've experienced this since R.4-something on win 8.1 (my memory could fail me, it could have been the 5 precycle). For me it had nothing to do with win 10, though I'm sure as hell still waiting on the installer...
ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #49
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
For the record, I've experienced this since R.4-something on win 8.1 (my memory could fail me, it could have been the 5 precycle). For me it had nothing to do with win 10, though I'm sure as hell still waiting on the installer...
And..... if you right click properties on the installer .exe do you see a "blocked" button?
Old 08-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #50
SmajjL

Also, I mean a fresh OS install, for the record, not a hint of upgrade.
And, again, I normaly don't even use WD, just made an exeption for this.
So, does the alternative user-way of turning WD off and using another hopefully free AV software work for the ones that have issues?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #51
ed209

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
And..... if you right click properties on the installer .exe do you see a "blocked" button?
no, never seen such a thing before, and I don't see it looking for it either. I saw Justin's reply and workarounds above and that one puzzled me.

Anyway I just wanted to pitch in to add data that for me it wasn't related to win 10. It's an annoying bug, but not a dealbreaker for me.
ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #52
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed209 View Post
no, never seen such a thing before, and I don't see it looking for it either. I saw Justin's reply and workarounds above and that one puzzled me.

Anyway I just wanted to pitch in to add data that for me it wasn't related to win 10. It's an annoying bug, but not a dealbreaker for me.
No worries.... Just trying to find someone, anyone with this exact issue who could right click the installer > properties and report back if they see that block/unblock button. I'm not convinced it will be there but knowing is far more important.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #53
ramses

I also get the long wait almost every time. Win 10 64bit, but had it in win 8 as well.

EDIT >>> Oh, and no "blocked" button what I can see.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #54
SmajjL

ramses did you update to 10 or do a fresh install of 10 by definition.
Ive bet money on your answer so please be on my side.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #55
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
I also get the long wait almost every time. Win 10 64bit, but had it in win 8 as well.

EDIT >>> Oh, and no "blocked" button what I can see.
Thanks!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #56
+NRG

I've never had this problem on Windows 7 / 8 / 10... How common is this issue?
+NRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #57
kenz

It's a Microsoft bug, pure and simple. There's nothing to fix on Reaper's side.

And it's not just Reaper's installer. I see random people (on other sites) complain about it in general for installers and a lot of other applications, especially those that go online.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #58
G-Sun

Personally, Reaper 5 seems to trigger my antivirus Bitdefender.
Frustrated before I found out.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #59
novaburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
The Windows installer takes about 10-15 minutes to start (sometimes more). The general assumption is that very heavy compression of the executable is responsible for the bizarre behavior.

Well, it's time for Cockos to stop pretending Reaper is a 10-12 mb program and do things right. Make it 100 or whatever size allows for a normal install routine. It's a total pain in the ass to deal with this s**t every time a new version or update comes out.

It's bad enough we have to deal with the ugliest default interface in the business....
Just downloaded 5 to 7 seconds, installed it 2 seconds it took reaper is up and running.

These times are the truth no lies.

Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit with no garbage on my PC.

I have seen Justin's work around not sure if there needs to be, in saying that, I do not use anti virus, no point.
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #60
SmajjL

If you start the timer from the first click on the install.exe and if You do 2 seconds from there human manually, I will do your dishes for a week for free.
This is an official Guinness World Record representative speaking!

Old 08-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #61
Antebios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
5.01 installed virtually instantly for me with Win 7 64bit.

Sadly Channel aftertouch (sometimes known as channel pressure) still does not work in this .01 update with VST3i (note: it does work with VST3i in Sonar Artist). I have reported this elsewhere on the forum.

At least POLY aftertouch is working.
Same here. Install 5 on Win 7 64 bit. Very fast.
Antebios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #62
urednik

Same problem on W 10 AND 8 with 64bit
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #63
ELP

"SmajjLwashdishes.bat"
timer64.exe reaper501_x64-install.exe >result.txt

The Game can start^^
the fastes installer; =/under 2 sec; wins and get:
"SmajjL: I want to do your dishes for a week for free"

------------

Reaper and many many many other software use near the same installer since maybe years
and never ever with any probs.

and now WIN 10 is out and MS´s new NSA funded Servers for the MSs Keylogger System named 10 are all online....
suddendly probs on some PC confics

MS = Salvation Army
never ever.
Somewhere there's always a catch.

Maybe it is one of MS new strategy to suggests that MS own installer (MSI)
which is suddenly the only installer
-on some pcs with MS own virus/wall stuff etc. pp-
without probs and or blocking.....
very very mysterious...

Last edited by ELP; 08-27-2015 at 01:48 PM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #64
karbomusic

I did some light testing. Since I could not repro on my machines, I forced the issue using a few nuggets I found on the net. Short story is that I set the ZoneIdentifer to a value of 3 and saved it. After that I tried to pull the properties of the installer and it took about 15 minutes to pop up though no unblock button was displayed.

Anyone who wants to help gather more useable troubleshooting data (and has a little knowledge using a command line interface) can perform the following and report back:

1. Open a command line (cmd.exe) and navigate to the directory where you downloaded the reaper installer.
2. Run the following command:

notepad reaper501_x64-install.exe:ZoneIdentifier

^Make sure the reaper installer name matches the filename you are testing. If notepad says "... does not exist, create?" just hit cancel, it isn't the ZoneIdentifier flag. If it opens and has text in it that looks like the below, that likely is the problem:

[ZoneTransfer]
ZoneId=3

EDIT: When I was investigating a similar issue on my machine a few weeks ago (not Reaper related), I had the same problem I described above... Properties took minutes to appear and no unblock button. I then copied the file to a different folder, then properties shows up as well as the unblock button. That's a general FYI of something I found when I had a similar problem.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:30 PM   #65
ELP

If the ZoneIdentifier stream on NTFS is really the only problem for that, karbomusic
then you can use
streams.exe
from https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/...rnals/bb897440

and simply make a batch file.
For example deleteZonestreams.bat
put the *.bat in the same folder like streams.exe and drag&drop any *.exe to/over these batch file(bat):
This should work for the batch -with drag and drop.
---------------
Code:
@echo off
%~dp0streams.exe -d "%~d1%~p1%~n1.exe"
pause
---------------
If you modified my example a little bit it works of course also for other extensions like blocked *.zip Files etc.pp downloaded from the Internet and no blocked/unblocked button..

Last edited by ELP; 08-27-2015 at 02:54 PM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #66
4x4uk

i will say that i found the following on a just upated to win 10 machine fromwin 8.1. Reaper installer would not run from the download location but was fine as soon as it was copied and pasted to the desktop didnt have that issue with win8.1 so it loooks like something in win 10
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #67
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
If the ZoneIdentifier stream on NTFS is really the only problem for that
then you can use
streams.exe
from https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/...rnals/bb897440

and simply make a batch file.
For example deleteZonestreams.bat
put the *.bat in the same folder like streams.exe and drag&drop any *.exe to/over these batch file(bat):
This should work for the batch -with drag and drop.
---------------
Code:
@echo off
%~dp0streams.exe -d "%~d1%~p1%~n1.exe"
pause
---------------
If you modified my example a little bit it works of course also for other extensions like blocked *.zip Files etc.pp downloaded from the Internet..
Yep (^nice one btw). I provided the notepad solution so they don't have to download and use streams. Streams is a very good way to investigate and test/change though. Somewhere, in some lonely location on one of my machines I had a script to add a context menu to explorer so you can right click a folder or file and choose unblock. I have no idea where it is at the moment though.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #68
LightOfDay
Banned

run the installer from any place, but not from anywhere C:\. in the first place download to D:\ or something. right click the file you want to download and use "save link as..."
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #69
peter5992

Quote:
To be clear, this issue affects some systems on all OSes from Windows 7 to Windows 10, with Windows Defender and/or Microsoft Security Essentials. A google search reveals that it also affects many decent-sized executable installers (though perhaps MSI installers are not affected).

We did a lot of experimentation during the 5.01 cycle with the installers to see if we could reduce this: improving the signing used (to use sha256 hashes and a newer signing tool), using bzip2 compression instead of LZMA, etc. We haven't been able to eliminate the problem. I will look at what it would take to use an MSI installer instead, however I am hesitant to do this, because the user experience for users who do not have this issue would certainly be degraded, and also I feel this is a bug that Microsoft really needs to address!

Workarounds:

1) If you can, open a command prompt and execute the installer from there. This will work 100% of the time, instantly.

2) Try right clicking on the installer, selecting properties, then choosing "Unblock" near the bottom of the properties page. Hit OK, then run the installer.

3) If you ran the installer and it hangs, download it again while you wait and run the new copy. It will run instantly.

There are others, too.

After experimentation, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the compression.
Dang, you're so clever! I had the same issue, solution #2 worked for me.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #70
novaburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
If you start the timer from the first click on the install.exe and if You do 2 seconds from there human manually, I will do your dishes for a week for free.
This is an official Guinness World Record representative speaking!
It has always been like that with reaper updates, as fast as you can say zip its over and finished, install complete then it gives the option would you like to open reaper.
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #71
prezbass

At the risk of incurring wrath from others- and, I've made more than a few posts that have gone ignored- I tested a theory today with the 5.01 installer, and it worked FLAWLESSLY. And, for the record, I have also experienced the "forever installer" every single time I've installed every version of Reaper from about 4.6 onward.

Here's the trick- and it flippin' worked like a charm: Turn of Windows Defender when you install.

That's it. When I did that, the installer fired up INSTANTLY (and, it never has before) and ran in about 25 seconds. Yeah- my machine was unprotected for a few minutes- big deal. And, please- don't hit me with the "well, it shouldn't do that" garbage- it does, and if it is a problem for you, chalk it up to "first world problems" and move on and go make some music.

Personally, I don't care that the installer takes awhile if Defender is on. It's not like I'm installing over and over again, every single day. And, even if I was, it's a little difficult for me to get too worked up when Reaper - once installed - does absolutely everything I want it to do.

Maybe I'm just grateful.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #72
BobF

I leave it on ... 501 installed in 20 seconds.

Defender has never been a problem for me. Well, except for those Sony installers it keeps telling me are infected. But that's a different story.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #73
keyman

Default 5.0.1 full install on Win 7 about 30 secs

I do run MS Security Essentials, and would have turned it off if I had to, but did not have time to think of it. Computer is Sony. When launched, Reaper literally loaded my previous project in a blink. I really came on to say thank you to the developers for a great job. I haven't done everything I usually do as yet, but the interface is smooth to look at and to use, thanks for the more visible fonts. Is it imagination or does my mix actually sound better?! Neat "About" panel, and no, I have not found the secret bit yet.
keyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:20 AM   #74
joelsampson

For what it's worth, I'm using Windows 10 with Windows Defender and have had zero problems with speed or anything else. I am running modern hardware now, an i7 4790 (standard, not the K version)and 16G of RAM. It's an off the shelf Lenovo with an old Firewire board for audio I/O. The audio interface is an older Mackie Onyx and a USB MOTU 8x8 XT for MIDI. Plus a bunch of MIDI gear using MIDI over USB.

Have you tried running logged in as Admin?
Old 08-28-2015, 04:23 AM   #75
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaburst View Post
It has always been like that with reaper updates, as fast as you can say zip its over and finished, install complete then it gives the option would you like to open reaper.
My special user-case is.

Download from our top secret place (no point in timeing that)
DBC - reaper501_x64-install
Open file SEC warning (press Run)
License Agreement (press I agree)
Choose install location (me always portable (x) and never default > choose folder) (press next)
Choose Components (Default is enough for me) (press install)
And after that last step (press install, then! I can get away with 2.7 sec)
So this was my story of why&what I ment (yo yo back to Bel Air yo yo (impressionist rapping)

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-28-2015 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:18 AM   #76
darkcloud2973

I just started having this problem recently after 2 years of it working normally. I upgraded to Win 10 and then updated Reaper to version 5 so I wasn't sure which caused the problem. I knew it had something to do with Windows Defender though because it started eating up CPU in the task manager while waiting on the installer to start. Oddly, now that I finally got it installed, I can run the installer immediately with no wait at all. Makes me wonder if the problem is fixed or if a new version installer will act the same.
darkcloud2973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #77
Sibben

I've had this issue for quite some time on different systems. The 100% workaround is simply, as previously stated, to run the installer from a command shell.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:07 AM   #78
kenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud2973 View Post
I just started having this problem recently after 2 years of it working normally. I upgraded to Win 10 and then updated Reaper to version 5 so I wasn't sure which caused the problem. I knew it had something to do with Windows Defender though because it started eating up CPU in the task manager while waiting on the installer to start. Oddly, now that I finally got it installed, I can run the installer immediately with no wait at all. Makes me wonder if the problem is fixed or if a new version installer will act the same.
Maybe because Defender verifies the installer the first time and generates a hash signature for it, so it knows the second time if the signature matches, then it's "safe".

That's not the bug though. Clearly taking 10 minutes to scan such a small file is what is the bug here. I mean on Microsoft's side. I'm sure defender always did this scanning/signature thing, but only now the scan takes too long.

Anyway never used it so can't say more about it.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #79
malcolmj

Quote:
Usually within a short time Windows Defender gets to recognize our installers and then will operate more quickly.

I've investigated this a bit, can't come up with much, other than perhaps us detuning the compression used by our installers (increasing their size by 30-40%) would help. I suppose we could do this.
I'd be willing to deal with the extra file size to avoid this behaviour. I've been experiencing this issue for years, and it only happens with Reaper.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:37 AM   #80
Sibben

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmj View Post
I'd be willing to deal with the extra file size to avoid this behaviour. I've been experiencing this issue for years, and it only happens with Reaper.
I would agree provided the real culprit is the compression. It's not like it needs to fit on a floppy anymore.