Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
dePUNDIT
Human being with feelings

Default Stuck notes while recording midi

I recently started experiencing Reaper recording a lot of stock notes when I record midi and this issue doesn't happen in any other DAW's. It also didn't used to happen until a few updates ago. Can't say which one now but with each update the issue has gotten worse. So bad that now I cannot record 4 bars of midi without recording at least 3 stuck notes.
It is also not restricted to a particular plugin as it affects VSTi(x86 & x64 alike) and rewire (Reason precisely).
Recently my production process has been greatly crippled as I thought this was a virus issue and have formated my computer severally only to have the same issue persist.
Please can anybody tell me how to solve this issue.
dePUNDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by dePUNDIT View Post
I recently started experiencing Reaper recording a lot of stock notes when I record midi and this issue doesn't happen in any other DAW's. It also didn't used to happen until a few updates ago. Can't say which one now but with each update the issue has gotten worse. So bad that now I cannot record 4 bars of midi without recording at least 3 stuck notes.
It is also not restricted to a particular plugin as it affects VSTi(x86 & x64 alike) and rewire (Reason precisely).
Recently my production process has been greatly crippled as I thought this was a virus issue and have formated my computer severally only to have the same issue persist.
Please can anybody tell me how to solve this issue.
This issue has been reported several times both with hardware and soft synths. Just hit F3 to unstuck the notes until a fix is out ... If any.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
dePUNDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
This issue has been reported several times both with hardware and soft synths. Just hit F3 to unstuck the notes until a fix is out ... If any.
Thank u very much for your response. But this isn't very practical for me.
If I'm recording a pass on my midi keyboard and a note gets stuck (records like it's still being pressed even though I've lifted my finger from the note) it'll be very difficult to hit F3 and continue recording.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:55 AM   #4
dupont

Quote:
Thank u very much for your response. But this isn't very practical for me.
If I'm recording a pass on my midi keyboard and a note gets stuck (records like it's still being pressed even though I've lifted my finger from the note) it'll be very difficult to hit F3 and continue recording.
I know this is annoying.
Sometimes, F3 is not enough and even my hardware synths are bugged and I must restart them + the audio/midi interface.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
dePUNDIT

Quote:
I know this is annoying.
Sometimes, F3 is not enough and even my hardware synths are bugged and I must restart them + the audio/midi interface.
If I can't find a solution for this issue then I'm afraid I may have no choice but to jump ship to Cakewalk by BandLab because all I do is work with midi all day everyday. If I can't comfortably and smoothly record midi then I cannot produce music.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
dupont

When I use reainsert to send midi to external synths it seems there are less stuck notes.
I was working with 2 synths today plugged in 2 different midi interfaces and I got no stuck notes during several hours.
Each synth had is own track with midi items and his own reainsert instance.
Did you check the local function on your hardware synth is off in order to avoid midi loop backs ?
Old 09-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
dePUNDIT

Quote:
When I use reainsert to send midi to external synths it seems there are less stuck notes.
I was working with 2 synths today plugged in 2 different midi interfaces and I got no stuck notes during several hours.
Each synth had is own track with midi items and his own reainsert instance.
Did you check the local function on your hardware synth is off in order to avoid midi loop backs ?
I use a midi keyboard (Yamaha PSR-S900) to trigger and record midi.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
stillshaded

that sucks man, I get stuck notes a lot too, but I don't record live often so it' s not a big deal usually.

Have you tried installing a slightly older version of reaper to see if helps?

Also, what exactly is your midi I/O situation? Are you going from a usb cable to the computer? maybe you could try running a midi cable from your keyboard into your audio interface? Sometimes tweaking random stuff will fix a problem like this, who knows why. Also, i would definitely make sure you don't have a midi feedback loop going on (google it, I'm sure there's a lot of in depth explanations out there) because if your midi input is getting repeats of the same notes somewho, that would definitely increase the likelyhood of having some stuck notes.

good luck man, I know how frustrating that ish is.
stillshaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
dePUNDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillshaded View Post
that sucks man, I get stuck notes a lot too, but I don't record live often so it' s not a big deal usually.

Have you tried installing a slightly older version of reaper to see if helps?

Also, what exactly is your midi I/O situation? Are you going from a usb cable to the computer? maybe you could try running a midi cable from your keyboard into your audio interface? Sometimes tweaking random stuff will fix a problem like this, who knows why. Also, i would definitely make sure you don't have a midi feedback loop going on (google it, I'm sure there's a lot of in depth explanations out there) because if your midi input is getting repeats of the same notes somewho, that would definitely increase the likelyhood of having some stuck notes.

good luck man, I know how frustrating that ish is.
I use a USB midi chord straight from keyboard to computer. Midi output isn't plugged in as I have no need for that and don't use it. Midi output to USB device is also not enabled in Reaper preferences. Also my interface doesn't have a midi input pot so I can't run midi through it.

Last edited by dePUNDIT; 09-26-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:01 AM   #10
dupont

@dePUNDIT

Have you tried to insert a reacontrol midi in your track in order to monitor what is comming from your midi keyboard which could mess the midi buffer ?
Old 09-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
dePUNDIT

Quote:
@dePUNDIT

Have you tried to insert a reacontrol midi in your track in order to monitor what is comming from your midi keyboard which could mess the midi buffer ?
Please how do I do that. I tried inserting it but couldn't find anyway it would let me monitor what messages is coming from my midi keyboard.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:40 AM   #12
dupont

in arrange view
right clic on your track with the midi input
on the drop down menu :
-midi track control
-Show midi track control panel
-in reacontrolmidi plugin clic on the top right box "show log"
-Press a key on you keybord or move a controler and you should see midi messages in the right column
You can also select "log sysex" and "meta messages" at the bottom of that column.

If some messages are continuously displayed even if you don't touch your keyboard, this could be the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sans titre.jpg (46.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-01-2019, 02:07 AM   #13
dePUNDIT

Quote:
in arrange view
right clic on your track with the midi input
on the drop down menu :
-midi track control
-Show midi track control panel
-in reacontrolmidi plugin clic on the top right box "show log"
-Press a key on you keybord or move a controler and you should see midi messages in the right column
You can also select "log sysex" and "meta messages" at the bottom of that column.

If some messages are continuously displayed even if you don't touch your keyboard, this could be the problem.
I just tried this and noticed a few notes coming up in the log without note off info. Sometimes,these aren't even notes I'm touching at the time.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #14
dupont

Quote:
I just tried this and noticed a few notes coming up in the log without note off info. Sometimes,these aren't even notes I'm touching at the time.
There is a problem with your keyboard, try with another one.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:19 PM   #15
dePUNDIT

Quote:
There is a problem with your keyboard, try with another one.
I think you're right... Thanks for the assist.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:22 AM   #16
Reflected

i have the same problem
but it's not only when recording but also when playing a midi.

i had this with many vst instruments already.

i didn't have this in the past... and i don't have this issue in other daws.
i tend to belive this is something to do with reaper's midi behaviour.

really annoying.
I need to restart the project to stop those stuck midi notes.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #17
dePUNDIT

I've solved my own midi issue. I realized that it was being caused by my midi keyboard. The keyboards midi port had disconnected from the panel and was shaking. I just got it soldered back in and that was it... Problem solved!
Old 10-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #18
Reflected

I disconnected my midi keyboard...

adding notes with the mouse and see what happens when i get to E4 and F5#
right now it is getting stuck when pressing e4 or f5# again and again,

but it's randomally at different times...and in different vsti

Notes are getting stuck.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote