Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-11-2019, 03:42 AM   #41
monty
Human being with feelings

does xubuntu already work with a 5.0.0-31 lowlatency kernel?
I have installed a test xubuntu in a V-box but after installing 5.0.0-31 lowlatency, xubuntu freezes during reboot.
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #42
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
I have installed a test xubuntu in a V-box but after installing 5.0.0-31 lowlatency, xubuntu freezes during reboot.
I am running Xubuntu with the 4.15.0-65-lowlatency kernel which I installed in a terminal window with a sudo apt install lowlatency.

I toyed with trying the Liqornix realtime kernel but figgered I'd just be opening myself up to problems mixing and matching stuff outside the distro.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #43
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
Yes it works. That's the one I am using in Xubuntu. However I am using version 19.04 so if you are using an earlier one I don't know if there's a potential problem.

I should ask if you are using an Nvidia GPU with the option to "force full composition pipeline" enabled (a setting that's in the proprietary Nvidia driver settings app "xserver settings"). If I made that setting persist it started upon boot, most times it would just give me a black screen and I would have to use the logout shortcut before I could see the desktop.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-11-2019 at 10:17 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #44
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Yes it works. That's the one I am using in Xubuntu. However I am using version 19.04 so if you are using an earlier one I don't know if there's a potential problem.

I should ask if you are using an Nvidia GPU with the option to "force full composition pipeline" enabled. If I made those settings persist so they started upon boot, most times it would just give me a black screen and I would have to use the logout shortcut before I could see the desktop.
If that's what's happening, you can boot from a live disk, then navigate to where your xorg.conf file lives and rename or edit it to get booted back up. I had to do that a few times while experimenting.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #45
JamesPeters

Yeah I just learned what my logout shortcut was, and did that for a while. Logging back in, it was fine.

Later I just made a script that would change that option and left it on the desktop. I would run it manually after booting.

And then I discovered that xfwm4 using Compton as the compositor (first disabling the default one of course) fixed my screen tear without needing that option in the Nvidia settings, so I just stopped using that Nvidia setting. On Mint xfce it wasn't enough just enable Compton, but if you changed any Compton setting at all suddenly it kind of kicked in and the screen tear went away.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #46
Glennbo

Hmm, I'm tempted to try compton, but everything on my system is working flawlessly, and I use apps like Google Earth and Stellarium which I think might be using gtk3.

I need to get one of those front panel SSD docks that you can eject an SSD, stab another one in and play around without any worry that you are hosing a perfectly functioning setup.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #47
JamesPeters

It's easy enough to try. Disable your compositor, install Compton (it can be done through the "software" app), install the Compton settings app called "Window Effects". Run Compton, add it to the session startup list (it was there already and all I had to do was check a box).

I'd found this info before doing it. He uses apt and so forth, and I did not.

BTW that "Window Effects" setting manager for Compton: you won't see the changes you make until you logout and login again (or turn off/turn on Compton I guess). Also the first time you run it, it creates a compton.conf file in your home/user/.config folder. It has more advanced settings you can change manually.

You can turn Compton off easily enough and re-enable the default compositor, so you don't need a separate install. I suppose it might be theoretically possible to mess something up, but it works fine on both my computers switching between Compton and the default compositor.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #48
Glennbo

I'll have to wait for a day when I'm feeling more gutsy.

Right now I'm wrestling with a goto computerized mount for my telescope that I just bought, which may or may not have an issue. I get different results running identical tests and want to know it's working correctly before taking outside in the cold tonight.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #49
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post

I should ask if you are using an Nvidia GPU with the option to "force full composition pipeline" enabled (a setting that's in the proprietary Nvidia driver settings app "xserver settings"). If I made that setting persist it started upon boot, most times it would just give me a black screen and I would have to use the logout shortcut before I could see the desktop.
yeah, that could be the reason ... in my xorg.conf (force full composition pipeline is enabled). I will try w/o this setting for further tests in v-box I need to get devilspie working w/ xubuntu because of my multi screen setup ;-)
thanks!
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
Old 10-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #50
JamesPeters

Glad to help! Yeah with a few Xfce distros I had the same problem regardless of the kernel (4.X or 5.X) and with a few different Nvidia driver versions too, with that setting enabled and persistent (so it started automatically on login). It seems to work fine for some people including a friend of mine, so there's probably a bug that needs to be worked out. Anyway Xfwm4 which is your default window manager, using Compton instead of the "built-in" compositor as I mentioned earlier, should mean you won't have to use that Nvidia setting at all. I'd try that.

And in case you're wondering, I had added that "force full composition pipeline" setting to my startup group once instead of changing xorg.conf (based on someone's advice I'd found in a Youtube video). It worked fine in MX Linux at one point, then after some updates to the OS/drivers/kernel it had the same problem from time to time.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #51
monty

xubuntu is very fast and seems stable and if you have pcmanfm-qt installed you get a file manager like dolphin with a filter function, pcmanfm-qt can be very well integrated into xubuntu.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:59 AM   #52
madskjeldgaard

Just chiming in: Reaper works great with Linux. I switched from MacOS to Ubuntu Studio about 5 months ago and it has been a breeze. Building and installing the extensions can be a bit hardcore but it's definately doable.

I'm using my commercial vsts (Valhalla, FabFilter) without any problems (except a lack of vst3 support) using LinVST. LinVST is a strange program to work with but once you figure out how to do it, the result is great. I see almost no differences in use between my MacOS versions of the VST and this. All in all it's highly recommended to use Reaper on Linux.
madskjeldgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #53
Danny Medina

Default A Late response but..

Kind of late to the party but i just want to add that I used reaper on wine just 3 months before its official Linux release and after that i just started using it natively. I currently use LinVst (https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst) for all my vsts and I have 0 complaints other than ofcourse vst support but that's a different issue, there are native linux plugins which are also good and get the job done. As far as "viable" I would say that it is very viable. Think about it like this; there are alot of linux distros and alot of people that use it for different needs. Right now besides ardour Reaper is software that even rivals protools and is on Linux, windows has alot of bloat and its upgrade process is just terrible (wiping drives, things getting possibly corrupted, lots of forced updates, etc) with Linux you dont even have to migrate everytime there is a big distro upgrade, hell you can even choose not to upgrade, all of that is something that production studios can benefit from and if reaper keeps its linux support on point then is only a matter of time before adoption as the userbase keeps growing.
Danny Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #54
franV.

China is gradually switching to Linux.
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...ifying-process

Huawei started shipping Linux based Deepin laptops.
Not sure how many of you are familiar with Deepin but its fabulous and the company based in China.

Russia also wants to de-windows their government machines, desktops and even phone operating systems by promoting Sailfish.

China have the ability to push billions into projects like Deepin and third party software.
Look at WPS office, Foxit, Kylin and Deepin Linux distribution.
Its going to be interesting to watch this trend.

Since the US have been using American based companies as boycott tools to wield political power against its "rivals" I can understand why these companies want to de-US their systems. We really need decentralised operating systems, hosted in neutral countries.

I myself is a fan of Windows 10 and was actually surprised how good Microsoft made this OS. With Google and Microsoft you almost expect way more f@#k ups then successes.

China, India and Africa represent billions of people. And Chinese have
buying power that can easily afford $60 license fees to push Reaper Linux sales.

The Chinese market represent over a billion people. So I can say for sure that with this gradual push away from Windows, Linux is a viable platform.

Microsoft is concerned about this and they released Windows source code for inspection by Chinese and Russian authorities if I recall correctly. And Microsoft and Google is not happy with the US government.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #55
SmajjL

owww! that's not a "small thing" for even Microsoft..?
Maby Bill Gates can come back and do his magic thing, but he did leave for a reason, maby not?..

Does that mean that the civilians common folks are not allowed to use/choose what ever OS they like over there without braking a LAW?

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:08 AM   #56
franV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post

Does that mean that the civilians common folks are not allowed to use/choose what ever OS they like over there without braking a LAW?
Nope, but I wont be surprised if they gradually make it compulsory.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:42 AM   #57
bulevardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Not only is Linux a viable platform/OS for Reaper,
I currently use Linux Mint for everything now, my audio recordings, photography and graphics editing, webdesign, paperwork administration and surfing the web...

Old 02-23-2021, 06:08 AM   #58
Nemo08

Default Reaper

For me , after many tests , Reaper native Linux is the best , on Linux Lite 4.8.I tried to upgrade to ll5.2 , not good , especially for windows vst's.i use linvst convert , and it works fine with , plugins like toontrack , native instruments , waves...Almost all my windows plugins work fine.Some like kontakt are longer to load than with windows , but its acceptable.So , linuxlite 4.8,generic kernel , winehq-staging ,cadence, indicator-cpufreq ,and i am happy.i have tested other distros , ubuntu,peppermint,mint,manjaro,LL5.2(today)and i am back to my 4.8.
Nemo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #59
Glennbo

I dumped Windows more than two years ago and haven't looked back.