Old 01-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default I need a new HD?

I've been looking at this drive for $85, anybody have any experience with it?

Seagate BarraCuda Internal Hard Drive 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch

I also notice they have this 4TB for $90.

Seagate Barracuda Internal Hard Drive 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch

My old 2TB project drive is making a little noise so I need to get it replaced and in the few reviews I've read,
the Seagate Barracuda was right at the top of the list.

Also any hints on the best way to transfer data from my old 2TB to the new one. I've been thinking about leaving
my old 2TB in the computer until I get everything transferred, however I'm out of drive space so I'd have to take
another 1TB drive out until I get all the data transferred.

I've also thought about getting a usb3 external hard drive adapter for the old 2TB drive, any thoughts on that?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
grinder

I know money is always short Tod
But
Purchase something similar or this http://m.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6684
You can use it to clone/copy or run samples or audio from it.
Well worth purchasing makes life easier.
I purchase Seagate Barracuda drives and use them also WD have had no trouble whatsoever.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Purchase something similar or this http://m.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6684
You can use it to clone/copy or run samples or audio from it.
Well worth purchasing makes life easier.
I purchase Seagate Barracuda drives and use them also WD have had no trouble whatsoever.
Thanks Grinder, for the info and the link.

So that ORICO is basically a duplicator? Or do you have software to select what you want copied? Can you use
just one of the bays and transfer data back and forth between the computer and the ORICO?

I was thinking of something a little simpler and cheaper, I see the ORICO is about $35, actually it's not that
much but I was thinking of something simple to just hook up the HD to a USB3. I see there are just the straight
hook ups but I don't have a good place to just lay the HD so maybe a hookup with a case would be better.

Thanks again Grinder, you got me thinking.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
grinder

Tod I got a previous version
I am pretty sure the software came with it
I was cloning my ssd OS Drive for backup

ORICO or similar work like this
https://www.ricksdailytips.com/clone...hing-a-button/

I use it normally when I do not need to back something up as a
sample drive for Omnisphere.

so very useful

Grinder
Old 01-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
prom

Hi Tod

Consider (I'm sure you have already)that which ever way you do it you want your OS to think (partitions/Drive letters etc >signature basically< )it's what was already there because if it starts assigning new drive letters and all that....well you can imagine.
Nothing bad to say about external drives,I have a Toshiba usb drive with much Gbyte and if I need to transfer stuff I'll plug it in and my OS recognises it.
Sorry...can't give you much advice on subject....just typing on impulse.

Last edited by prom; 01-25-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Clarity
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
cyrano

Check Backblaze's latest report for reliability stats:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/2018-...failure-rates/
Old 01-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
Hi Tod

Consider (I'm sure you have already)that which ever way you do it you want your OS to think (partitions/Drive letters etc >signature basically< )it's what was already there because if it starts assigning new drive letters and all that....well you can imagine.
Thanks prom, yeah, altogether I've got 3 SSD drives along with the 2TB I need to replace, and another 1TB HD. Two of the SSDs are for OS systems, one is Windows 7, the other for Windows 10, I've got a duel boot system. The other SSD is 1TB and it's my sample drive. So I've got a few dive letter names to deal with. No partitions though, I learned a long time ago that was something I wanted to avoid.

I also have a 2TB USB2 backup drive as well as a 1TB SSD USB3 backup. Ha ha, I've also still got an old 150GB drive that I can still hook it up with USB2, that's come in handy to get some of the older XP stuff. There was a time I had them all hooked up at the same time.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:11 PM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Check Backblaze's latest report for reliability stats:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/2018-...failure-rates/
Thanks cyrano, that was interesting, but I found it a little confusing. Some of the observations that looked bad had 1 to 2 million drive days while those that looked good only had a few thousand drive days.

I studied it and tried to figure it out, but I came away not really understanding.

I think I'd have to take some time to figure that out.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #9
grinder

Late in the piece there was a reference to the seagate drives doing well they had the big "miles"
I saw that early
The Seagate drives obviously were the drives doing the donkey work as they say
and doing it pretty well.
The other drives just did not have the miles/hours etc to compare.

Grinder
Old 01-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #10
prom

That's a lot of drives,I guess you find a need for more of them quite quickly in a working studio. A few years back was last time I had dual boot config (also triple at one point),I was fiddling around with Linux distributions quite often (not slackware lol ,no...more puppy (useful little OS,saved the day for me a few times),Mint,DSL etc so I did setup multiple partitions on my 3 Sata drives from time to time for learning/experiments.Those drives(Samsung Spinpoint and Hitachi)are still alive,held up well considering issues many folks have,or rather did have before the wonderful SSD thing occurred.although I heard some strange and worrying sounds from one of them for 1st time just yesterday.Back to the point of this extra pile of text I have dropped.The point is, I was going to say the knowledge (did in my case)can fade surprisingly quick if one <(hand over my eyes typing that word) doesn't keep 1's hand in.

Best of luck with your rig.
Cheers!

Last edited by prom; 01-29-2019 at 08:25 AM. Reason: need2get grammar ly
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Late in the piece there was a reference to the seagate drives doing well they had the big "miles"
I saw that early
The Seagate drives obviously were the drives doing the donkey work as they say
and doing it pretty well.
The other drives just did not have the miles/hours etc to compare.
Aah yes, I see that now, thanks Grinder. Of course those are much larger drives, I'm thinking more about the 4TB one now.

A good friend of mine over on VI-Control has been saying he's had problems with his Seagate drives, he has several computers for his business. He's been steering me towards the "HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM SATA", he said they stand up much better. It actually comes with a 5 year warranty, where as Seagate's warranties are 2 years. But he aslo said it's a little noisier.

Noise is definitely and issue, my clients stand quite close to me when they sing, and the noise can easily get picked up.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #12
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
Best of luck with your rig.
Cheers!
Thanks Prom, I've been using computers since back in the mid 80s not long after they became more available to the general public, and I've been using them almost on a daily basis ever since. But I still don't know much of the technical stuff. I can do a few things in the BIOS, but I like to stay away from there too.

I definitely don't know anything about the latest and greatest on the market right now.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:22 AM   #13
serr

My experience with Seagate is they're cheap garbage that fails at a much higher rate than any other drive.

I've read more recent reviews of various drives and the consensus seems to be that everything is better and more reliable than in the past and to the point that this extends to even the cheap stuff nowadays.

I'd still get a WD black for a data drive. (Just bought a 4TB recently for $178) Nearly the same price.

Crucial makes good SSD's too if you need a system drive. The 1TB was on sale recently for around $150.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:37 AM   #14
grinder

I see Hitachi are being bought out by WD

grinder
Old 01-26-2019, 01:00 AM   #15
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Noise is definitely and issue, my clients stand quite close to me when they sing, and the noise can easily get picked up.
You mean through closed doors? Or do you have the computer in the control room?

If the latter and if you really can't relocate that machine...
Moving past the part where you really should find a way to do that anyway, maybe a 1TB SSD instead?

Look at this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...b_2_5_ssd.html
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:10 AM   #16
cyrano

Quote:
Thanks cyrano, that was interesting, but I found it a little confusing. Some of the observations that looked bad had 1 to 2 million drive days while those that looked good only had a few thousand drive days.

I studied it and tried to figure it out, but I came away not really understanding.

I think I'd have to take some time to figure that out.
If the failure number is good and the number of drive days is high, it’s very reliable.

If the number of drive days is low, that reliabilty percentage isn’t a good indicator yet.

Seagate is often seen as unreliable, but this is based on a number of drives that failed a lot in the era when 2TB was common.

For me, both Hitachi (HGTS) and Toshiba are a bit more reliable than the rest. But Some still don’t like them because of “the click of death” from over 15 years ago. The only drives I never buy, are the 3TB ones. Not because of the drives themselves, but because Some operating systems still have a problem with that capacity in Some computers. Mind you, I buy these as spares, keeping them in stock for emergency repair. ATM, I stock 1, 2 and 4 TB.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #17
cyrano

Quote:

grinder
When it comes to spinning rust, there’s just one manufacturer that owns all the brands.

SSD’s are a different story...
Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #18
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I'd still get a WD black for a data drive. (Just bought a 4TB recently for $178) Nearly the same price.

Crucial makes good SSD's too if you need a system drive. The 1TB was on sale recently for around $150.
Thanks serr, actually some of the 4TB HDs are going for around $90. Also very recently I bought a "samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB" for all my samples, although I don't remember what it cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You mean through closed doors? Or do you have the computer in the control room?[/url]
Ha ha, well I do have a vocal booth but I have a very good control room that has much better acoustics, so when recording using mics, I find it a good place to do that if I can.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #19
Tod

Quote:

grinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
When it comes to spinning rust, there’s just one manufacturer that owns all the brands.
Ha ha, isn't that the way of the world now days.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:06 PM   #20
Reason

I have two Seagate 3TB drives:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16822148844
Windows identifies it as "st3000dm001-9yn166".

Bought in 2013 and no issues. I think I paid less than $300 for the pair, which was a pretty good price at the time.

One is installed in the computer ("H" for "huge") and acts as my bulk storage and C: drive backup, and is booted daily unless I'm on vacation. The other is external and acts as a backup of the internal one ("O" so when I backup, I go from H to O). I don't back up nearly as frequently as I should so it gets very little use.

I use the external one with this Inateck external drive dock:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1KXE9K

Since it's a dock and not a case, it's easy to replace the hard drive, but requires some sort of dust cover. It also has an extra slot, and takes 2.5" drives in either slot. That's been useful once or twice for me.

I have not tested its automatic cloning functionality. Reviews on Amazon say that if your target drive is the same size the cloning will be very slow, but if your target drive is larger it'll be fine/reasonable.

Edit: USB3 is great. Transfers are perceptually as fast as the internal SATA-connected drive.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #21
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
I have two Seagate 3TB drives:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16822148844
Windows identifies it as "st3000dm001-9yn166".

Bought in 2013 and no issues. I think I paid less than $300 for the pair, which was a pretty good price at the time.

One is installed in the computer ("H" for "huge") and acts as my bulk storage and C: drive backup, and is booted daily unless I'm on vacation. The other is external and acts as a backup of the internal one ("O" so when I backup, I go from H to O). I don't back up nearly as frequently as I should so it gets very little use.

I use the external one with this Inateck external drive dock:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1KXE9K

Since it's a dock and not a case, it's easy to replace the hard drive, but requires some sort of dust cover. It also has an extra slot, and takes 2.5" drives in either slot. That's been useful once or twice for me.

I have not tested its automatic cloning functionality. Reviews on Amazon say that if your target drive is the same size the cloning will be very slow, but if your target drive is larger it'll be fine/reasonable.

Edit: USB3 is great. Transfers are perceptually as fast as the internal SATA-connected drive.
Thanks Reason, I do have an external 1TB SSD for backup, but I've never tried to run a project from it. I should give it a try to see what happens.

That Inateck external drive dock looks similar to the ORICO that grinder posted up above. I'm definitely getting something along those lines.

I'm still on the fence, just too busy to deal with it, but I'm going to try to move on it sometime this week.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #22
cyrano

These docks are very handy. I've got 3 of them, branded Sharkoon. Cheap, but they work OK.

The oldest one was 60€. It's a double dock, with FW800, FW400, USB3 and eSATA. I take it with me all the time because of the number of connections. I've had it for six years and it hasn't failed yet.

The other two are single docks, 30€ and 40€ when I bought them. Same connections.

I also have a write-blocked dock from Wiebetech. If you want something really solid, check out that brand. They don't make vertical docks anymore, just horizontal ones using carriers. Beefier, but not as cheap...
Old 01-29-2019, 07:00 AM   #23
AndreiT

Get the Barracuda Pro because you will be covered by a 5 years warranty. Got one for my laptop.
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #24
LugNut

Hi,
Tod I gotta say, watch out for the sea gates. I have many > 10 year old drives.....and the only kind that has ever failed were sea gates. I would look at the wds.
2 yes ago my Seagate audio drive failed..and my backup failed. Thank God Seagate warrantied my old drive..even tho it was out of warranty....and after I gave em about 300 dollars....they got me all my audio back! But the drive was responsible. Faulty. Don't remember all the details ATM, but I won't be buying anymore seagates.
Funny, it was so bad that I started going back to church for the 3 weeks that I waited for them to tell me if they could retrieve anything.
Phew! I think I aged 3 yrs in those 3 weeks:-) shit..I'm 104 in bar years:-)
Gl
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #25
cutnpaste
Banned

Quote:
I've been looking at this drive for $85, anybody have any experience with it?

Seagate BarraCuda Internal Hard Drive 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch

I also notice they have this 4TB for $90.

Seagate Barracuda Internal Hard Drive 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch

My old 2TB project drive is making a little noise so I need to get it replaced and in the few reviews I've read,
the Seagate Barracuda was right at the top of the list.

Also any hints on the best way to transfer data from my old 2TB to the new one. I've been thinking about leaving
my old 2TB in the computer until I get everything transferred, however I'm out of drive space so I'd have to take
another 1TB drive out until I get all the data transferred.

I've also thought about getting a usb3 external hard drive adapter for the old 2TB drive, any thoughts on that?

Any comments would be appreciated.
If the old drive is making noise, why trust it for any thing. The best purpose for it is to use as a paper weight.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #26
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Thanks Grinder, for the info and the link.

So that ORICO is basically a duplicator?
I have a StarTech Duplicator. I have not read all the specs of the Orico, if you are wanting or intending to do a mirror image copy of your primary drive most duplicators require you to remove the primary drive from the system for duplication. They don't do a mirror of the drive whilst it is still connected to the system.

The USB although will allow you to have another HDD and have it essentially act as an external USB drive.

It might be a pain to have to remove the drive from your machine now and then, I do mine monthly - but even though it is a pain I remind myself of how much pain (and time) is involved with re-installing everyone from OS upwards.

As for HDD drives, everyone will have a opinion on them. Most (if not all) HDD's are pretty damn reliable these days, I would say go for the fastest drive you can afford.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #27
DarrenH

I have to admit the price throws me off. I wouldn't trust an $85 drive for anything critical.

It could be good but I'm spoiled by Western Digital Blacks. Nearly double the price (canadian) but I haven't had a failure in 10 years.
DarrenH is online now   Reply With Quote