Old 05-30-2020, 01:13 AM   #1
Ricky Reject
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone know of any "pitch gate" plugin?

Hello,

I've been googling and searching for an audio gate that tracks pitch rather than volume. So far I've been unable to find any vst plugin that will do this.

So basically what I want is a gate that will open when the signal is over a certain pitch instead of volume.

Anyone know of any such plugin?
Ricky Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:04 AM   #2
juan_r

I imagine that such a tool, if it even exists, will have significant latency. Pitch detection takes a little, especially with low notes. If possible, I'd go for hand editing with something like Melodyne.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:29 AM   #3
Ricky Reject

Aye...it wouldnt have to need pitch perfection detection, but it seems impossible to find. So I think you're right that such a plugin might not even exist.

The idea was to take the input signal of a guitar and send the signal to a gated pad. The higher up in pitch you play, the more prominent the pad would be. Granted, I could do this manually of course, but having a gate would add some randomness to it each time you play.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:00 AM   #4
juan_r

Maybe you could obtain something similar with an envelope follower output modulating a highpass filter (freq, gain or both). The highpass filter output feeds the gate. Several gate plugins already have some filter included, so you might be able to do that with just the env.follower on the guitar track feeding the sidechain of the gate on the pad track.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
jrengmusic

ReaGate have HPF/LPF. I think it’s possible to narrow the filters into notes that triggers the gate to open.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
akademie

Hi Ricky,
something like this?
https://stash.reaper.fm/39353/pitch-gate-concept1.RPP

EDIT:
Description:
- Track 1 is synth playing 2 notes C3 an F4 and sends audio to Track 2 (not MIDI)
- Track 2 has ReaTune plugin to detect pitch and sends MIDI out (and audio) to next "processing tracks' (Track 3 & 4)
- Track 3 and 4 (processing tracks) receive audio and midi from Track 2.
- Track 3 has inserted "MIDI EQ Ducker" in Gate mode, on selected note, here C3 (48)
- Track 4 has inserted "MIDI EQ Ducker" in Gate mode, on selected note, here F4 (65)
- Tracks 3 & 4 are routed to Reverb track 5, their parent sends are disabled
- Volume and Pan of Track 3 & 4 are send levels/pans to reverb
- Track 5 is Reverb track (only 100% wet signal) receiving from processing tracks

You can add as many processing tracks as needed and set amount of reverb and pan independently for each of them.
(This is only proof of concept, can be done more efficiently if those JSFX would be modified to not eat incoming MIDI etc.)

Last edited by akademie; 05-30-2020 at 07:55 AM. Reason: typo
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:17 AM   #7
Ricky Reject

Hello

Been trying some of your suggestions, but I couldnt quite get it to work the way I wanted to.

I hade this idea on how it would sound, but either I'm not doing it right or it's not possible. When I have the time next week, I'll give it another go.

Just wanted to say thanks for your suggestions!