Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #41
dmartinyesyes
Human being with feelings

Nana
"ASIO is no longer needed on 10, because WASAPI outperforms ASIO definitely."

Coachz
"Great info."

Is this true?? If the audio interface has good ASIO drivers; E.g. RME, how can I achieve better latency & performance with WASAPI? Does WASAPI allow more than two inputs\outputs?

Last edited by dmartinyesyes; 02-24-2020 at 09:19 PM.
dmartinyesyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:45 AM   #42
Nana

@nyaben

I've tested a UMC1820 (which I don't own) with stock driver 4.59.0 and tools from Behringer ( https://www.behringer.com/Categories...0B2J/Downloads ) on my HP2760p running Windows 10 Pro x64 1909, which I use for live performance with Reaper and Arturia. Similar CPU, i5-2540m, Sandy bridge. It just works.
I still think you've not installed the graphics driver correctly, or have not installed chipset drivers. when I kicked out the driver linked earlier, and returned to Windows 10 stock, it got exactly the symptoms you described.
Anyway, as you've given up already, there is no point helping any more...
Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #43
Nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartinyesyes View Post
Nana
"ASIO is no longer needed on 10, because WASAPI outperforms ASIO definitely."

Coachz
"Great info."

Is this true?? If the audio interface has good ASIO drivers; E.g. RME, how can I achieve better latency & performance with WASAPI? Does WASAPI allow more than two inputs\outputs?
If the WASAPI is implemented by all participants of the setup, then yes.
Actually, if Reaper hosts all connections, it can use WASAPI in exclusive mode, giving even more performance, but letting no other application connect to the same device. If you run several apps in parallel, non-exclusive is the way to go. And still, ASIO can be used in parallel, if the driver allows it.

Last edited by Nana; 02-25-2020 at 08:53 AM. Reason: too many typos
Old 02-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #44
nyaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
@nyaben:
Which graphics driver is installed?
does it still run the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"?
The best version for your computer is 9.17.10.4459. Get it here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/...259f4705a7.cab

Edit: A bad graphics driver can kill USB audio, because it jams the bus in a shared memory system like Sandy Bridge. So try this driver. It is for Intel HD3000/2000 Sandy Bridge graphics and fully compatible with Windows 10.
Is this driver you mention applicable to Windows 7 also? Unfortunately I seem to have this issue (USB whine) with Windows 7 too now.
nyaben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #45
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaben View Post
Is this driver you mention applicable to Windows 7 also? Unfortunately I seem to have this issue (USB whine) with Windows 7 too now.
How did you revert back to Windows 7?
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:47 AM   #46
nyaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
@nyaben

I've tested a UMC1820 (which I don't own) with stock driver 4.59.0 and tools from Behringer ( https://www.behringer.com/Categories...0B2J/Downloads ) on my HP2760p running Windows 10 Pro x64 1909, which I use for live performance with Reaper and Arturia. Similar CPU, i5-2540m, Sandy bridge. It just works.
I still think you've not installed the graphics driver correctly, or have not installed chipset drivers. when I kicked out the driver linked earlier, and returned to Windows 10 stock, it got exactly the symptoms you described.
Anyway, as you've given up already, there is no point helping any more...
I have definitely not given up because it sounds like you have the right approach. I think I’ll do the upgrade again and try to follow your suggestion re graphics driver.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #47
nyaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
How did you revert back to Windows 7?
You can revert back within 10 days of upgrading.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #48
toleolu

Quote:
You can revert back within 10 days of upgrading.
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Exactly what was the process you went through in order to get this computer to boot to Windows 7?
Old 02-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #49
nyaben

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more specific.

Exactly what was the process you went through in order to get this computer to boot to Windows 7?
The directions at this link are more or less what I did (but I’m upgrading again and plan to get my graphics driver addressed per Nana):

https://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how...dows-7-or-8.1/
Old 02-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #50
toleolu

Quote:
The directions at this link are more or less what I did (but I’m upgrading again and plan to get my graphics driver addressed per Nana):

https://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how...dows-7-or-8.1/
OK, thanks.

Were you able to download and install the Windows 10 drivers from Behringer's website for your interface? I posted a link to the download page of their website.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #51
nyaben

Quote:
OK, thanks.

Were you able to download and install the Windows 10 drivers from Behringer's website for your interface? I posted a link to the download page of their website.
Yes, thanks. I think I got them loaded OK but I think I have to pursue what Nana is talking about.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #52
toleolu

Quote:
Yes, thanks. I think I got them loaded OK but I think I have to pursue what Nana is talking about.
Have you checked the Windows Device Manager to see if there were any problems indicated there?
Old 02-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #53
nyaben

Quote:
Have you checked the Windows Device Manager to see if there were any problems indicated there?
I haven’t yet, I’m doing the upgrade again now and will check it out when it’s done.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #54
nyaben

Okay, I'm back on Windows 10 and I got help from Behringer and it turned out to be something I did to myself and the chain of events made me believe it was Windows 10. I'll spare you the gory details.

Anyhow, I use a patch bay for channels 7, 8 which has worked fine thus far; however, with a keyboard patched through in stereo to those channels via the patch bay and with the keyboard off, it was generating the horrible USB whine. All I had to do was pull the patch bay cables and the sound immediately went away. I'm feeling a little stupid at the moment for not trying more options than I did.

For the money this is a really nice interface and support was very helpful here. Thanks for patience and help from the crew here. You guys and gals are the best!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #55
Nana

sometimes it is really simple... good you've made it work at last.